Ford Mustang Forum banner

First oil change

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  08GTCA 
#1 ·
Just did my 5000 mile oil change this morning. Used RP 5W20 (7.5 quarts). Got a good deal on Amazon for about 8 bucks a quart w free two day delivery. Also put on Fumoto Valve. Easy process but did notice factory oil filter showed signs of leaking a little bit. Was still snug and gasket looked fine after removal. Engine did need about 3/4 quart added at about 4000 miles.

#2 ·
Consumption of 3/4 quart is well within normal. What filter are you using, Motorcraft? If not, get Motorcraft.

Also, isnt oil capacity 8 qts? Why did you go with 7.5?

#5 ·
What do you mean?

I bought my last set of motorcraft fl820s (case of 6) on ebay for like $36 shipped to my door.

Before that, I picked up my Motorcraft filters at Walmart.

#7 ·
The filter I was referring to leaking is the ORIGINAL oil filter that came from factory when new. As far as 7.5 quarts, I let it drain for about 20 minutes. Added 7.5 and when I checked dipstick it had oil to the top of hash marks. And the new filter is also Motorcraft.

#8 ·
Did you run the engine for a few minutes and then let it sit for a few minutes and the recheck the level?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
and I really do say "hi & thx" to my sales person. She has a Stang and did everything promised w/o me making them. This is in addition to the 1st time we met F2F was when I came down with a check for the deposit on my order car. Every thing was just as we had talked about both on the phone but online. Hammonasset Ford in Madison CT

#13 ·
I did my first oil change too since owning the car this weekend. That undercarriage plastic tray that is there is a pain in the butt and just gets in the way. I was hoping it would just slide all the way out, but its looped on there and doesn't come off. I was going to take it off and keep it off, but figured it was there for a reason and its a little bit of extra protection under there.
Other than that total piece of cake except I need to degrease the underneath of my car. I was nasty under there.

#15 ·
You're probably already aware, but the tray can be pushed backward several inches for better clearance...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.