Ford Mustang Forum banner

2014 Mustang GT - System TOO rich

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  acepocket56 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 2014 Mustang Gt with a few minor mods, I got the Boss power pack from American Muscle so I have the Boss 302 manifold, airaid CAI and an SCT tuner with 3 BAMA tunes. The only other mod is a muffler delete (removed the resonators and running straight pipes) About a month ago my car started shooting a code and since I have the handheld I am able to read it and it says "System too rich"

I called BAMA and they said they don't think its a tuning issue as the mods I put in would say "too lean" if anything... The first step was to clean the MAF sensor which I did on Saturday but the code just came back today.

Has anyone else had this issue, possibly after installation of the power pack?

I'm not too worried as I guess its not much of an issue and from what I hear the worse that can happen is it'll **** up my spark plugs...

Any advice or input would be appreciated Thanks!

Also it is now a garage queen and no longer my DD so id like to fix the issue of course.. I suppose I can take it in to ford since Its under warranty but I think they'll just blame it on the mods and say my warranty is voided...

See less See more
#3 ·
Do you have the old manifold i would hook it back up and set it back to factory tune to see if ur still shooting codes.

#6 ·
I'm not too worried as I guess its not much of an issue and from what I hear the worse that can happen is it'll **** up my spark plugs...
This might be a good place to start. Pull the spark plugs and see what they look like. It's possible I suppose that you might have a bad fuel injector that's letting in too much fuel. You might be able to deduce a source of the problem by seeing if any of the spark plugs look especially dirty and go from there. Not being a mechanic, I'd start with the plugs and go from there. Do you have any other codes?

#7 · (Edited)
As the air:fuel ration implies, a rich air:fuel ratio has two potential causes, air intake and fuel supply. Start with the easy things first such as the air intake filter and mass air flow sensor. The MAF sensor has an electrical connection that needs to be good as well as the sensor needs to be clean and operable. Is your intake air filter clean? Try running the engine with the air filter out of the car. This should cause a lean air:fuel ratio.

#9 ·
Can't you just look att the A/F ratio on the dash/factory gauge and tell exactly how your ratio is?

#10 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2014 Mustang Gt with a few minor mods, I got the Boss power pack from American Muscle so I have the Boss 302 manifold, airaid CAI and an SCT tuner with 3 BAMA tunes. The only other mod is a muffler delete (removed the resonators and running straight pipes) About a month ago my car started shooting a code and since I have the handheld I am able to read it and it says "System too rich"

I called BAMA and they said they don't think its a tuning issue as the mods I put in would say "too lean" if anything... The first step was to clean the MAF sensor which I did on Saturday but the code just came back today.

Has anyone else had this issue, possibly after installation of the power pack?

Any advice or input would be appreciated Thanks!

Also it is now a garage queen and no longer my DD so id like to fix the issue of course.. I suppose I can take it in to ford since Its under warranty but I think they'll just blame it on the mods and say my warranty is voided...
It sounds like you have a pretty nasty Coyote. We'd love to check it out. Post up some pictures!

I had pretty similar mods in my 2011 GT and didn't have any codes. You shouldn't be getting a Rich or Lean code from those mods. It sounds like we need to make a few adjustments to your tune! This will require exchanging some datalogs and information but we'll definitely get you squared away.

Can you shoot me a PM with your order number included? I'll make sure this is taken care of quickly and you'll be contacted today!

Hang in there! You're tune will be squared away shortly.

-Dan

#11 ·
It sounds like you have a pretty nasty Coyote. We'd love to check it out. Post up some pictures!

I had pretty similar mods in my 2011 GT and didn't have any codes. You shouldn't be getting a Rich or Lean code from those mods. It sounds like we need to make a few adjustments to your tune! This will require exchanging some datalogs and information but we'll definitely get you squared away.

Can you shoot me a PM with your order number included? I'll make sure this is taken care of quickly and you'll be contacted today!

Hang in there! You're tune will be squared away shortly.

-Dan

Dan,

Wow thanks for the reply, my order number is Order Number: 2804171
and you'll can reach me @ 956-455-2866

Looking forward to hearing back and would love to get this issue resolved

#15 ·
Thanks for the Reply, here are some pics of my #1 girl lol now just gonna sit in the garage except for the weekends
Damn! That paint pops! What detailing products do you use? (sorry for the thread derail)

#13 ·
If you data-log the fuel trims (short term and long term) it will show numbers below 1.00 which means the oxygen sensors are seeing a rich condition and the PCM is reducing how much fuel is given to the motor. A number above 1.00 means you're lean and it's adding fuel. When you hit about 1.30 most manufacturers consider that the threshold to trip an "engine too lean" DTC and your check engine light (CEL or MIL) comes on.

I don't know "tuning" Ford PCMs well, but I would imagine this to be something which can be remedied by aadjusting the "tune" you're running.

(Sorry. The way car forums use the phrase "running a tune" to refer to reflashing the PCM just gets to me. Too many years in the industry. So I have to put it into quotation marks or go crazy. ;) )

And regarding the comment above, pulling the air filter will not make your engine run any differently if operating correctly. The MAF meters the incoming air and fuel is added to match what it measures, as adjusted by feedback from the upstream O2 sensors. The alteration in airflow caused by removing the filter is seen by the MAF and thus adjusted for automatically.

You can cut the air inlet tube clean in half right before the MAF, and the car will run perfectly. A crack in the tube after the Mass-Air, however, can easily cause a condition where the car will not even start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.