Best Method to Repair Hail Damage - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Best Method to Repair Hail Damage

Hey guys, my 6 week old 2014 sterling gray GT premium was beat up last Thursday with Golf Ball sized hail in Reading, PA.

The Insurance guy is coming to my house next Wednesday to give me a quote to take to a body shop for repairs. I think there are about 75-100 divots in the hood, top, and trunk lid. Even the side of the passenger door was dented.

Question 1, I am concerned about how much this devalued the car, anyone have thoughts as to how much value I lost with having 'Hail Damage' tagged to the car into the future.

Question 2, What is better, dent removal techniques or filler and a repaint? They both sound awful to me on a car with less than 3K on it. I did search hail damage on the site and found a lot of guys like the dent removal on their cars, but I'm concerned about damage to the paint and what that type of fix might look like in 5 years.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane! - Steven Wright

1966 C Class Convertible, 289 4 Speed
2016 GT Premium Coupe, 6-speed manual, Dk Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Garage
I had large hail damage on my daily driver last year (2004 Acura TSX). There were HUNDREDS of divots all over the car. The insurance company let me pick my repair shop, and they did a paintless dent repair. I'm not sure how the process goes, but it looks flawless! There was almost $7,000.00 worth of damage repaired.

As for the loss in value, I really don't know much about that. You would never know the car had been repaired.

Good luck with your repair. I would have been sick had my Mustang been damaged.

2013 GT Premium l Track Pack l Comfort Pack l
Reverse/Security Pack l MT-82 l Black. l GT500 Magnaflow Axle Back l GT500 Rear Valence

Order: 7/6 VIN: 8/20 ETA: 9/25 Dealer: 9/25/12

Winter Car: 2004 Acura TSX (6M, 4300K HID foglights, intake resonator delete)
Wife's Ride: 2008 Ford Edge Limited (Navi, Tow Package)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa-fatboy View Post
What is better, dent removal techniques or filler and a repaint?
Paintless dent repair and you may never notice (provided you find a reputable body shop). If filler is used, there's a higher likelihood of you having issues with that section in the future as well as it being more noticeable and perhaps depreciating a bit more.

Sucks man. But a solid body shop should be able to set you straight.

2014 GT 6MT Ruby Red | Brembo Pkg | 3.73 Axle | Torsen Diff | Accessory Pkg 5
Order: 02/12/13 | VIN: 02/28/13 | Build: 03/11/13 | ETA: 04/01/13, Revised: 03/27/13 | Delivery: 03/26/13
Vossen CV3Rs 20x9/20x10.5, Michelin PS4S 255/35/20 295/30/20, Borla S-Type ABs, Resonator Delete, JLT CAI, Barton Shifter, Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs, BMR LCAs, BMR LCA Relo Brackets, BMR Panhard Bar, Raxiom Smoked Fogs, Engine Dress-up, Tint

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Interesting post, I have pretty much stopped driving my car lately and left it garaged because we have had so much hail in my area. I think I would go with the paintless ding removal, I have watched professionals remove them before and you would never know but it does take some time. As far as value I know I would rather buy a vehicle that had hail damage then an actual accident. With the hail damage everything is on the surface and with a paintless repair I really wouldn't think it would hurt value. Best of luck and I hope it comes out like it was.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Guys. I'll post again once after the insurance adjuster visits me on June 4th. I'll get some pics and then post some before/after shots.

It does suck, sounds like with all the cars in the area damaged, it will be July before everything is back to normal.

Stuff happens. I just want to be sure I am getting the right fix, not settling because it's better for the insurance company.

Good news is this happened to my car in Reading, Pa. Our house was in the direction the storm was heading. My son was able to get my wife's 2014 Fusion in the garage and cover his 2005 Focus (yep, Ford family) wrapped with moving blankets. No additional damage to our other cars.

Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane! - Steven Wright

1966 C Class Convertible, 289 4 Speed
2016 GT Premium Coupe, 6-speed manual, Dk Gray
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014
Rookie

My last car, a Mazda 3, was hit pretty hard with hail back in 2010 and I was surprised how thorough the claims adjuster was regarding writing an estimate for the car. What I figured was about a $1,200 repair, they wrote for nearly $2,500.

With regards to paintless dent repair, that's what they did on my car and it looked brand new after I got the car back, no evidence of being battered by a hail storm. Keep in mind that it really depends on the depth of the dents and the number of them. If they are too deep or there are too many of them, they would just write to replace the whole panel and paint to match. And regarding body filler, insurance companies know that using body filler on an entire panel is not the best way to repair hail damage. As much as the insurance company wants to get the job done for as little as possible, they also don't want to pay for repeat work. While most people shy away from "insurance company approved" repair shops, in this case I'd definitely use one. For a 2014 vehicle, insurance would write for new OEM parts, and the repairs usually come with a guarantee so if the shop messes up, the insurance company will make it right. The ones I used were professional, clean, and had newer equipment.

As I'm an insurance adjuster myself, I can tell you that your auto policy does not cover for diminished value to your own car. On the other hand, when I traded in my Mazda for my Mustang, the hail claim didn't even show up on the Carfax report.

Hope that isn't too long, just wanted to add my two cents since I've been on both sides of hail claims.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014
Apprentice

im actually in the Allentown area, and got hit hard by hail here too, having the guy come out on Friday, wonder if it would just make sense to have the replace the hood(since it has the most damage) maybe even get a Shelby hood, ha, and repair everything the paint less ding removal way.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014
Apprentice

My brother has damage from the same storm and his friend's jeep may be totaled. Yes totaled from the damage. I had a 2004 350Z with the same story. Two weeks old. Hail storm. Tons of damage. Needless to say after about two weeks of paintless dent removal and a new hood she was good as new. When I traded her in there was no mention of the damage on carfax. Paintless dent removal is an art. I have a shop down here that has a magician. Defiantly the way to go, you just may have to wait a while because of the size and scale of that storm. Pretty nasty from my understanding.

2014 GT: Race Red. Stuff added...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014
PONY Member

Wow y'all are lucky, the hail totaled my cousins car and after fixing he had a rebuilt title

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
PONY Member

My car got hit in West Chester (where I work), called the insurance today to see when the guy can come out to assess the damage, said that it was crazy the amount of claims in PA and that they would call me.

There are about 7-8 dimples dime sized (about a 16th of an inch deep) on the hood and 6-7 on the roof of the car. The paint is intact, but I have no idea what it will cost if it is paint-less dent repair.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
Apprentice

My brothers insurance asked him if he could wait 4 weeks since his damage is not that bad. There must be an insane number of claims in that area for them to push his claim back a month.

2014 GT: Race Red. Stuff added...
Apprentice

Paintless dent repair is definately the superior approach. There are problems - occassionally a ding is in an area of boxed in metal or a double panel area that can't be reached with the tools. Also, I found some shops are not exactly careful in removing and reinstalling interior panels and headliners. And some will simply drill a hole in door jamb or similar area for access and plug it later - rather than take the time to remove a panel for access. I learned to get some tools and remove the interior panels myself to avoid this issue although removing an entire headliner can be difficult. But a guy with experience can remove a ding such that it is impossible to see any sign of it and the area is just as good as if nothing had ever happened.

My Ford Garage:
1965 ERA 427 Cobra Street Roadster
2003 Lightning
2017 Shelby GT350
Retired: 2008 Mustang GT; 2012 Mustang GT
Apprentice

That storm was brutal. My buddy had his focus totaled out because of the divets. Every panel got hit.

good luck
PONY Member

Looks like the PDR guy is going to have to argue with my insurance, he's going to have to drop the headliner as he is afraid to damage the vinyl stripes. Said the hood is no problem, but the roof is going to take time.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa-fatboy View Post
Hey guys, my 6 week old 2014 sterling gray GT premium was beat up last Thursday with Golf Ball sized hail in Reading, PA.

The Insurance guy is coming to my house next Wednesday to give me a quote to take to a body shop for repairs. I think there are about 75-100 divots in the hood, top, and trunk lid. Even the side of the passenger door was dented.

Question 1, I am concerned about how much this devalued the car, anyone have thoughts as to how much value I lost with having 'Hail Damage' tagged to the car into the future.

Question 2, What is better, dent removal techniques or filler and a repaint? They both sound awful to me on a car with less than 3K on it. I did search hail damage on the site and found a lot of guys like the dent removal on their cars, but I'm concerned about damage to the paint and what that type of fix might look like in 5 years.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!
I'm outside of Philly and the hailstorm missed my house. Thank God! I actually just received a Hail Damage Sale email from Fred Beans Ford in Doylestown/West Chester. Some areas were hammered and another area a mile over got nothing. Mother Nature is interesting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page