Ford Mustang Forum banner

Spare Tire

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kazz 
#1 ·
My car came with 18" winter rims and tires from the dealer when I bought it. I also bought 19" after market rims and tires for the summer. I just found that I have one of those temporary spare tires in the truck. Its 17". Will I have an issue if I ever need to use it? Seems to me I would want the same size spare as I have on the car. I have not had a flat tire in over 20 yrs but you never know.

#2 ·
Short answer no, it doesnt matter.

Youre only suppose to drive 50 miles max on the temp spare. If the overall diameter between the spare and other drive tire is different it will put more strain on the differential. Wheel size doesnt matter, over all diameter is what really matters. My 255/45-18 18x9 fits in the spare compartment pretty well. Its my spare.

#3 ·
what I would do if I needed to put on a differant size tire is I would put the oddball one on the front. Having differant size tires on the rear causes wear on the limite slip differential. If I'm only going a mile and it's raining i wouldn't bother but any extended use is worth the effort if you have the flat in the back you may need to change your tire 2x.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.