Screws in tires, DAMN ! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Screws in tires, DAMN !

I just got one of my Brembo wheels back on the 12. There was a drywall screw in the tire ! It was close to the sidewall and the tire guy said "that tire is #$^$%$ cant fix it. I talked to the tire shop owner and he said lets tale the tire off the rim and see what it looks like. Luckily, the screw went in at an angle and they were able to patch it. If not, the tire guy told me that these tires were probably discontinued, and no longer available. So I was looking at a pair of new tires if this hadn't worked out.
But wait, here is the rest of my story. The tire on the other side has two plugs in it from screws. And all of this on tires with less than 10,000 miles on them.
Maybe a little bird is telling me to get new tires, I don't know. But these tires from the Brembo package are working very well, sans holes from screws.
In 45 years of car ownership, I have never had this many repairs done, ever .

Shouldn't feel too bad though, another guy was in the shop getting a flat fixed on a BMW. And they took a 3/16" drill bit out of his tire. lol

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I had 5 patches in my Brembo stock pirellis. Screws all the time. I thought either the tires attracted screws like a magnet of a neighbor doesn't like me.

2013 GT premium GHIG. 6MT. Black int. Brembos. Corsa Sports. Jlt intake. SR Springs. BMR panhard. Pilot Super Sports
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014
Apprentice

I hear ya. Just had this happen to me a couple weeks ago. Went out to take my son to scouts and the rear passenger side tire was flat; could see what practically looked like a carriage bolt sticking out of it. Used can of fix-a-flat equivalent, got it inflated and drive-able (I didn't want to jack my car up where it had been parked). Took in to dealer the next day because I was nervous about just any shop messing with my tire pressure sensors. Unfortunately the tire actually had two punctures, one was in the sidewall, and the tire was toast.

The good part was that I go to a good dealer, and they told me I would be fine with just one new tire instead of two (my tires have 11,000 miles and these are the all-seasons, not the softer summer tires) and that the sensor was still good . . . he said that the fix-a-flat crap can make them go bad if left in there for awhile. So I was out only the cost of a single tire. They checked the other tires, all was good, and they sent me on my way.

Went out the next day after work and there was a screw head poking out of the front passenger side tire about 3/4 inch from the edge; the tire was not losing air. Drove the car to the shop. This one turned out to be a short sheet metal screw and did not go all the way in . . . no interior hole in the tire and no charge. Whew!

I hate that kind of crap. I had not had a screw in the tires on any of our cars in nearly a decade and all of a sudden three in a week!

All this to say, I can empathize. I am glad you got your tire fixed instead of having to pony up for one of those summer tires; I understand they're $$$.

Black 2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 w/401A package and 3.31s

Black 2000 Mustang GT (owned 2001-2013, sold at 177,000 miles)

Brown 1971 Triumph TR6

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

With my old 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis, I picked up only one nail in the 6 years I had it.

My 2004 F150 went the entire 10 years of ownership without picking up a single foreign object in the tires.

My wife's 2012 has had at least 8 (that I can remember) since December 2011 and my 2014 has already had 1 since February of this year.

Part of the problem was the refurbishing of the building that I work in, it seemed like I was picking up a screw or nail a month while they were tearing out the old stuff, but only when I drove the Mustang to work, never when I drove the truck.

The rest of it, I just don't know, man, but I was beginning to wonder if Ford didn't install magnets in the wheels so that we would pick up every piece of metal debris that was even in the area of our cars, lol.

Its, a freakin' conspiracy, I tell ya!

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014
Banned

The real troubling part is people that don't think or care is a big reason the screws are there in the first place. Just the other day I saw a guy hauling a load of construction debris on a flatbed F350. Untarped and just a couple of ropes thrown over it. Saw at least one piece of something bounce out. Couldn't tell him as I was keeping my distance.

I share the frustration as 2 years ago I had to replace a Pirelli Brembo tire with about 1000 miles on it due to a screw in the sidewall. $370 later I was kicking myself for not buying that tire insurance policy the dealer was trying to sell me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yeah, I don't know what it is about these cars, but they do seem to attract screws in the tires. I have had one or two per year for the four years I have owned this car. Before that, I cannot remember the last time I had a flat tire.

Maybe the TMPS sensors are magnetic or something?????

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014
Apprentice
S197 Member

Had this happen to me a few months ago.

2013 GT premium, Deep impact blue, Recaros, Manual, 3.73, Gt500 mufflers, Barton shifter, Steeda 91 tune, Pilot Sport A/S 3
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
I just got one of my Brembo wheels back on the 12. There was a drywall screw in the tire ! It was close to the sidewall and the tire guy said "that tire is #$^$%$ cant fix it. I talked to the tire shop owner and he said lets tale the tire off the rim and see what it looks like. Luckily, the screw went in at an angle and they were able to patch it. If not, the tire guy told me that these tires were probably discontinued, and no longer available. So I was looking at a pair of new tires if this hadn't worked out.
But wait, here is the rest of my story. The tire on the other side has two plugs in it from screws. And all of this on tires with less than 10,000 miles on them.
Maybe a little bird is telling me to get new tires, I don't know. But these tires from the Brembo package are working very well, sans holes from screws.
In 45 years of car ownership, I have never had this many repairs done, ever .

Shouldn't feel too bad though, another guy was in the shop getting a flat fixed on a BMW. And they took a 3/16" drill bit out of his tire. lol
It's a plague I tell you, I had to get my front passenger side tire patched this saturday, looks like a 2 inch dry wall screw. Luckily it only cost me 5 dollars.

Back when I had my WRX I got a screw too close to the sidewall, $250 dollars for a Bridgestone tire.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdavis View Post

That looks like 2 plugs, not just one. Did you keep the wrench and does it still work?
I have 1 patch in my Pirelli Summer tires in over 25000 miles, and I work were they are always spilling nails and screws. I'll be putting Continental DW on next week so I will probably run the rolling magnet around the yard twice a day instead of just once

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Apprentice
S197 Member

Yes I still have it & it does work. Got it hanging on the wall next to my computer desk.

2013 GT premium, Deep impact blue, Recaros, Manual, 3.73, Gt500 mufflers, Barton shifter, Steeda 91 tune, Pilot Sport A/S 3
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Rand, I know it's only a reminder but if you drive it hard be cautious about plugs esp if the inside ain't patched

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdavis View Post
That one definitely takes the prize ; apparently the magnet is strong enough to flip the wrench up on end

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Less than 5k miles when this happened. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1323.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	559.1 KB
ID:	352514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	352530  

2014 GT 6MT Ruby Red | Brembo Pkg | 3.73 Axle | Torsen Diff | Accessory Pkg 5
Order: 02/12/13 | VIN: 02/28/13 | Build: 03/11/13 | ETA: 04/01/13, Revised: 03/27/13 | Delivery: 03/26/13
Vossen CV3Rs 20x9/20x10.5, Michelin PS4S 255/35/20 295/30/20, Borla S-Type ABs, Resonator Delete, JLT CAI, Barton Shifter, Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs, BMR LCAs, BMR LCA Relo Brackets, BMR Panhard Bar, Raxiom Smoked Fogs, Engine Dress-up, Tint
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If the Pirelli's would stick to the road as good as metal sticks to them we would be all set, never have traction issues at the drag strip and might be able to pull 2 G's in the corners

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
If the Pirelli's would stick to the road as good as metal sticks to them we would be all set, never have traction issues at the drag strip and might be able to pull 2 G's in the corners
Man that's the truth!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page