Need some opinions "To Stripe or Not to Stripe" - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

That SHELBY on the back end makes all of the statement necessary. If someone does not know who Carol Shelby was then they need to just move along.

As for the OP, I considered the same thing, before deciding w/o stripes looks clean. Its like women, some you want to see naked others need to be covered up, IMHO the Mustang looks better naked.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Garage
Need some opinions "To Stripe or Not to Stripe"

I just got mine done three weeks ago. I'm happy with them. I'm over 30 but I don't really know why that matters. It's not like we're putting "Powered by Honda" decals diagonally across the hood and fenders.

It's all up to you. I'm all about making my car "my own". I've received many compliments on the stripes and the overall look of my car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

daustin - how much did it cost you to have your stripes installed? If you dont mind me asking?

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...

Rookie

I have always liked stripes on the S197s. It has the right lines for them to really look good. I had a 2000 V6 years ago, but the New Edges couldn't pull the stripes off. Sucks about the installation costs, but if you're still thinking about it, I say do it.

2014 Ingot Silver GT 5.0 w/M6
GT500 Axlebacks
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If I were the OP I would find another vendor to install the stripes. That price is ridiculous! The beauty of vinyl stripes is that I gives you the ability to to remove them down the road if you decide you don't like them.

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
Apprentice

leave the hood spears, no stripes FTW!!! unless you are a shelby or a boss... keep them off!

2013 Mustang GT - 6MT - DIB
1986 Ford Ranger 2.3L Turbo Diesel (4D55)
PONY Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
daustin - how much did it cost you to have your stripes installed? If you dont mind me asking?

$300 total for vinyl and installation. Done at the Ford dealer here I bought the car from. 7 year 3m with warranty.

$400 for just an install with you providing the stripes is ridiculous.

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD

Last edited by daustin; 06-03-2014 at 01:27 PM.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thats a heck of a deal. Ive been calling around this morning just for the fun of it to some other shops that are a little further out from my house and they are actually more expensive. We are talking in the $600 range!! I absolutely hate to let someone else work on my car, thats why I do everything myself. I honestly think I could do them myself now that I have the right kit with the correct lengths of material for the hood scoop, etc.. but I had a heck of a time getting off the top layer. I guess its called the release paper or backing paper. Every time I tried it screwed up my little 3/8" pinstripe. I might just say screw it and try it again, if it doesnt work, it doesnt work. Ill throw some racing stripes on my riding lawnmower instead. LOL

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

PONY Member

Garage

Quote:
Thats a heck of a deal. Ive been calling around this morning just for the fun of it to some other shops that are a little further out from my house and they are actually more expensive. We are talking in the $600 range!! I absolutely hate to let someone else work on my car, thats why I do everything myself. I honestly think I could do them myself now that I have the right kit with the correct lengths of material for the hood scoop, etc.. but I had a heck of a time getting off the top layer. I guess its called the release paper or backing paper. Every time I tried it screwed up my little 3/8" pinstripe. I might just say screw it and try it again, if it doesnt work, it doesnt work. Ill throw some racing stripes on my riding lawnmower instead. LOL

Have you tried your dealer? I've bought two 5.0 mustangs in the last two years from two different dealers here (sister dealerships) and both have custom shops. Give them a try. Also I lied about the price; I looked at my receipt and it was $299 total. Haha.

Good luck. I got quotes from other shops around town here and they ranged from the $299 I paid to $1,100!

Another perk of having the dealership or a shop do it would be warranty. If something happens, I'll just drop it off and have it fixed. The custom shop manager even said if it gets rock chips, he'd change it out under warranty as well (although, I would wait until I got many rock chips to have it replaced rather than have it replaced for one or two, as they are inevitably going to happen).

Apprentice

I would wait on the stripes and use the money to upgrade the wheels. just my opinion which you ask for

2011 GT/CS - Red Candy Metallic - Automatic Transmission - Steeda Cold Air Intake - Brenspeed 93 Race Tune - Lethal Performance Offroad H-Pipe - Ford Racing GT500 Axleback Exhaust - Brake Performance Premium Dimpled Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Shaftmasters 3.5 Aluminum Drive Shaft
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
I would wait on the stripes and use the money to upgrade the wheels. just my opinion which you ask for
Wow man, I didn't ask for anyone to go off on my wheels. Geez some people. LOL
But really... Ive thought about wheels, but mine aren't too bad, and honestly im not a huge fan of black wheels like everyone is putting on their cars lately, plus they are so dang expensive and when your on a limited budget, well you know.....

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Wow man, I didn't ask for anyone to go off on my wheels. Geez some people. LOL

But really... Ive thought about wheels, but mine aren't too bad, and honestly im not a huge fan of black wheels like everyone is putting on their cars lately, plus they are so dang expensive and when your on a limited budget, well you know.....

I actually like your stock wheels. Yours and the Brembo wheels are the best looking stock wheels for our cars IMO. My 2012 had the 18's on it and I replaced them with the 19" SVE drifts. I purposely bought my new one with the 18's as I was going to swap the SVE's on anyway. If my old car came with the wheels you have, I probably wouldn't have bought new ones.

PONY Member

Quote:
I figured about $400 since im supplying the stripes, but it seems like a lot of places do not want to install stripes if you didn't buy them from the installers, which I can understand. I actually tried to install them myself the first time and it wasn't really that hard once I had the center of my car taped off, but they didn't send me the kit for the hood scoop and the California Special wing, so I was short a bunch of material. I called them and they got the right kit out to me, but it was a major pain and not something I think I want to do again. I had a heck of a time with the top "release layer" or whatever its called, getting that thing off. They said I probably didn't wet it enough, but I don't know.

Just turned the big 4.0
That's a bit much for stripes, especially if you are supplying them. I paid around 500 ish and the shop supplied all the materials (3M 1080 Scotchprint).

As far as the striped look, do what you like, I am just over 30 and I like my car with stripes, the hood on the 13/14 MY looked pretty sparse when I bought the car so I put some 10 inch stripes on there.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System

Last edited by Neighsayer11; 06-03-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: photos
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

please don't stripe. so common and not that great of a look anyway imho. it's just a tad to "boy racer" for my tastes, but what do i know.

2012 Black/black GT Premium, Brembo, HID, 3.73 - Borla LT's, Borla x-pipe, Borla touring cat back, Airraid CAI, Bama 93R tune, Steeda LCA/UCA, MM CC plates, panhard and bracket, front/rear swaybars, billet front/rear swaybar brackets/links, chassis brace, Bump steer kit, Tri-Ax shifter/bracket,Eibach Multi-Pro R2 CO's, FRPP diff cover, Weds Wheels 19x10, 275/40/19 Bridgestone Pole Position, GT500 rear spoiler, CDC chin spoiler. Full stereo system.
PONY Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjracing View Post
please don't stripe. so common and not that great of a look anyway imho. it's just a tad to "boy racer" for my tastes, but what do i know.

So, using your logic, new, striped GT500's are "boy racer"?..... Hmmmmmm.....

Not trying to start an argument and you are very well entitled to your opinion, but I don't think my car looks "boy racer" by any means. That is my opinion. It's all about making your car your own (at least for me).

This is "boy racer" to me:

Haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page