Need some opinions "To Stripe or Not to Stripe" - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Need some opinions "To Stripe or Not to Stripe"

That is the question. I have been on the fence about this since I found out how expensive it would be to have these stripes put on my car. I think it would look pretty good, but I also think the car looks pretty good the way it sets right now. So I could use some fellow Stanger's opinions on what to do.
Here are the stripes I would be putting on it. I did buy them already from Factory Stripes, they are great quality, 7 year 3M stripes, but I could always try to sell them. (actually they are currently in the classified of this board now).

Here is the way the car sits right now.

So what do ya'll think? Are racing stripes played out? Or is it that extra touch the car needs. I do like my cars to stick out from the norm.

Thanks

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014
Site Sponsor

OP-

That's a good question and a tough one-I'm from the school of thought that my toys must be modded! I think the stripes would work nicely with the Hood Accents already on the car. Once they're on I would personally have a set of Black Rocker Stripes put on to bring everything together. Here's a picture below of them on a Red V6 to get a better idea of how they'd look:'

Hope this helps!

-Alex

Alex Lazarus | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 1-866-363-4591 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I think the car looks good but in my opinion would look better with the stripes. What kind of money are they asking to put them on?

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

well the two quotes I got range from $450-500, and the one shop just scared me so I don't think I will be going back there anytime soon. That place was a dump. LOL

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thats about twice what I figured since you are supplying the material.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014
PONY Member

I suspect stripes and the blacked out look are on their way out. Are you over or under 30?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownpete View Post
I suspect stripes and the blacked out look are on their way out. Are you over or under 30?
22 year old chiming in and I think the stripes are played out. Dat clean look is in.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014
Apprentice

Look, its your car. If like stripes, do it. It doesn't matter what the rest of us think. I fart in my my car. I'm sure many forum members are aghast to learn this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Thats about twice what I figured since you are supplying the material
I figured about $400 since im supplying the stripes, but it seems like a lot of places do not want to install stripes if you didn't buy them from the installers, which I can understand. I actually tried to install them myself the first time and it wasn't really that hard once I had the center of my car taped off, but they didn't send me the kit for the hood scoop and the California Special wing, so I was short a bunch of material. I called them and they got the right kit out to me, but it was a major pain and not something I think I want to do again. I had a heck of a time with the top "release layer" or whatever its called, getting that thing off. They said I probably didn't wet it enough, but I don't know.

Quote:
Just turned the big 4.0

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by califsp View Post
Look, its your car. If like stripes, do it. It doesn't matter what the rest of us think. I fart in my my car. I'm sure many forum members are aghast to learn this.
You made me laugh and I totally agree with your point don't worry about others do what you like.

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I don't really care what other people like, its just that im on the fence and wanted some opinions. It could go either way really. Right now im thinking just save the money for mods, but again I like to stick out from the crowd too. Which puts me on the fence again. Ive been driving my buddies nuts for a couple weeks now with this. One is a classic Stang guy, and the rest are various car guys, so I figured fellow Mustanger's would be a better place to get an opinion.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

PONY Member

Don't you already stick out? You got bright red paint, scoops, spoilers, etc. You're car looks killer and definately stands out. I'd even lose the black stripes next to your hood scoop.
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just turned the big 4.0[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, I turn 40 next month and the cool thing about it is I don't feel I have to fit in or impress anyone but hell I grew out of being in style and worrying about what others think in my early twenties!

Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sorry about the double post, don't know how it happened but us old people do get confused!

Apprentice

My only input on this is coming from a Challenger SRT which I destripped and put black wheels on (gloss). Mustangs do not stand out in a crowd. Even my Shelby GT-500, only auto enthusiasts know what the hell it is otherwise it to them just looks like a Mustang with Snake emblems on it(no stripes on it screaming GT-500). I can for sure see the point of striping to make the Mustang "pop" out. I do plan to leave mine in the "sleeper" look though, just looks clean without stripes. Sure it's not as big of a head-turner as the SRT was, but it does turn the heads of any auto-enthusiast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page