Buying my first Mustang this week - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: which would you go for?
Brand New Oxford White? 27 64.29%
Slightly used Gotta Have It Green with extra warranty? 15 35.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Buying my first Mustang this week

Well, as the thread title says, a bit new both around thesee parts and as an owner of the brand. I was always a gm owner, all the rest of my cars are a mix of Buick and Pontiac, mix in some 70s/80s Chevy/GMC trucks here and there but....

I've got to say in my opinion Ford got these cars RIGHT! I had a '13 Mustang as a rental for a week last year and since then had my eyes open, kept teetering on trying to get one. Looked last August, had to pass what with moving to a new house and all. This time around, and now I got one, it was the last chance to buy a live rear axle car with the retro styling cues.... well, lets just say it was time to pull the trigger

So, before I say which one I did decide to go with, I'd like to describe the two cars I narrowed it down to and hear which one you think was a better deal:

#1: 2014 V6 premium, gotta have it green, AT, 202A pony pkg, comfort package. Everything else being the standard options coming on a premium coupe of course. Was actually a special order, sold in early april 2014 and driven 5 weeks for a total of 2300 miles before the owner decided it wasn't the car for them. Dealer certified it, tacking the additional 12 months cpo warranty on to the end of the balance 3/36 factory bumper to bumper, and extended the 5/60k power train to a 7/100k on the car with its lowly 2300 miles. Price: 22,000

#2: 2014 V6 premium, Oxford white, stone interior, AT, 202a pony pkg, comfort pkg, and same as above, all the other goodies coming on a premium coupe. This one is brand new, regular factory warranty. Price: 23,300 after all rebates and incentives. There is some thing to be said for being the first to own/drive/break in a car..

So.... which one do y'all think is the one to go after had you been buying?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

From all the stories I've been reading I'd be throwing an extra 5 or 6 grand and getting a gt.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014
PONY Member

To me it all comes down to color. I'm not a fan of white cars.
If you're comfortable with the used status and extra warranty, go with the GHIG, but then I'm a little biased

Good luck on your choice!

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014
Apprentice

Color is so subjective, so it would be hard for me to make a suggestion based on that.
I am, however, one of those people who believe in carefully breaking in an engine. Others may disagree but there are those of us who are easy on their engines for the first 100 miles or so. So, based on that, and not knowing how the previous owner drove the GHIG car, I would go with the new one.
Which ever one you chose, congratulations! You're going to love owning it!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014
Rookie

since the price difference is relatively small i would go with the color you like best. after all looks do matter. but i would agree with on of the other comments about getting a GT. i Have a v6 and although i love it to death im always wanting more power.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014
Apprentice

You see tons of Black, Red, and Blue Mustangs, but white is a classic color.

While the 6 banger is a very respectable engine you will always long for the GT. 400hp is entry level for the modern retro looking muscle cars and the coyote engine is a beast. The coyote give you so many more options down the road.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Go green!!!!!!

2013 GT premium GHIG. 6MT. Black int. Brembos. Corsa Sports. Jlt intake. SR Springs. BMR panhard. Pilot Super Sports
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014
Rookie

I was all for a v6. Then I drove a GT. I can't believe what a great car the GT is for the money. I do not regret buying the GT. (I grew up driving and owning the classic muscle cars.)

Test drive the GT. Then decide if you still want the v6.

If you plan to keep the v6 stock you can't go wrong with a Mustang v6.

I prefer the green.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

.02 worth of opinion. The extra $1000 in pocket and extra wtty is great, but you wouldn't buy a shirt you don't like the color of.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

Since Im not the first to say it, I feel better doing so - get the GT! Unless you are getting the V6 for under $20K, it doesnt make sense to pass up a GT at the moment.

base GT ALWAYS > Premium V6

As far as color - I say neither - white is a very bland color and doesnt do the lines of the S197 any favors. GIG is an attention drawing color and will draw too much (in my opinion) attention

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
GT Member
S197 Member

Did you guys READ the OP?

Did all you guys lobbying for this color or that, or suggesting he spend more and get a GT, actually read the OP? He's already made his decision. He's now asking us which of these two cars we would have chosen for ourselves.

For me, it'd have been a relatively easy choice. I don't hate Gotta Have It Green, but it's not a color I'd want for myself. And the price difference wouldn't be enough to matter. So I'd have had to go with the new, Oxford White car. That's a great color on a Mustang (and I say that not just because I happen to own one: it wasn't my first choice) and the car is, as others have pointed out, brand new.

My main reservation about the new car would be the Stone interior, which I don't care for at all. Still, the white one would have gotten the nod from me.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
GT Member

I have owned too many white cars, and do not want another one. That being said, as great as the GHIG looks, I would wonder about the color growing old after a while. I would go with the new white in this case. I am thinking with the stone interior, it would look awesome as well. With a few black accents, the white can really pop too.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangholio View Post
Go green!!!!!!
+1 just on the strength of the emoticon.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez Rouge View Post
He's already made his decision.
Hello?

Actually he has not made any decision - as he has not bought a car yet. We are just encouraging him to take a 2nd look and potentially re-evaluate.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
Hello?

Actually he has not made any decision - as he has not bought a car yet. We are just encouraging him to take a 2nd look and potentially re-evaluate.
Re-read the OP. In at least five places, the tense of his wording indicates he has already bought the car.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page