Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011-2014 Mustang Talk (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/)
-   -   Time for a Hood Corrosion poll (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/707194-time-hood-corrosion-poll.html)

Grok 06-03-2014 12:37 PM

Time for a Hood Corrosion poll

Seems like a lot of people have got Hood Cancer, seems like a good time to see the extent of the outbreak and the measures taken by Ford to fix this problem.

cartman.gif

I'll start.

Corrosion started at underside seam late last year, dealer repainted area. Looks fine except for a slightly sloppy "Information Decal" masking job.

Dealer asked if I ever used touchless car washes (I do in the winter) because he says that these washes use a very aggressive detergent and that it can contain sodium hydroxide, similar to dishwasher detergent, it can sit in the seam and cuase the corrosion a lot of people experience. Anyone who has put bare aluminum cookware in the dishwasher knows what happens! Anyway he suggested that if you rinse the underside of the hood off as soon as possible, the risk of it happening is minimal.

I'm doing that now when I have to use a touchless wash between handwashings.

The poll question is:

Have you ever had a hood corrosion problem during the Warranty period?

Please add details about your car washing methods, grounding success/failure etc. I hope this poll helps solve this issue.

JBert 06-03-2014 01:09 PM

I'd like to answer the poll but there is no option for:

The corrosion was there during the warranty period, but I did not notice it until after the warranty expired, and I have not pushed it with my local dealer because it is only on the bottom, so far.

From what I understand of this problem, it has nothing to do with detergents or salt or anything else. It is 100% manufacturing defect ; caused by iron contamination in the welds of the hood ; and since it is practically impossible to remove that iron contamination, it is practically impossible to "fix" permanently. You can clean up the surface and repaint it, but the contamination is still there inside, and that is why it comes back.

Grok 06-03-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBert (Post 6429434)
I'd like to answer the poll but there is no option for:

The corrosion was there during the warranty period, but I did not notice it until after the warranty expired, and I have not pushed it with my local dealer because it is only on the bottom, so far.

From what I understand of this problem, it has nothing to do with detergents or salt or anything else. It is 100% manufacturing defect ; caused by iron contamination in the welds of the hood ; and since it is practically impossible to remove that iron contamination, it is practically impossible to "fix" permanently. You can clean up the surface and repaint it, but the contamination is still there inside, and that is why it comes back.

Yes it's a challenge designing the perfect poll. If Ford does fix you up, the last box is for you though! I put the last box in thinking that a lot of ticks there would indicate that Ford realizes there is a legitimate issue.

Thanks for the additional comments, that helps too. The iron contamination theory I've seen mentioned, but I have yet to see the unmistakable red color of iron oxide in these problem areas. It has always been the white powdery form of aluminum oxide.

I think there is no doubt that this is an engineering/manufacturing SNAFU.

Grok 06-03-2014 01:48 PM

Hey Devoda20!

So Devoda20, You haven't had a problem throughout the warranty period. Can you share your secret? Perhaps you live away from the ocean or always hand wash your Stang??

RedWings 06-03-2014 01:51 PM

Happened to my 2011. Had it repaired last year. I'm sure it'll return in the next 18 months.

FirstFord94 06-03-2014 05:17 PM

Had it on my '12 GT about 12 months ago. Ford repaired the issue and it hasn't been back since.

MCA2011 06-03-2014 08:13 PM

3 years 42K miles, no issue.

Car has only been hand washed in the driveway except for a couple winter trips to the self serve bay

MuffinMan91 06-03-2014 08:39 PM

curveball… noticed hood corrosion in end of February this year - had it approved for warranty in March - Got a new hood... Repair took 3 weeks… took until mid April - noticed that the new paint, less than 2 months old, is already peeling off

hammergjh 06-03-2014 08:46 PM

There's no option for "I have corrosion and fixed it myself".

JBert 06-03-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammergjh (Post 6431474)
There's no option for "I have corrosion and fixed it myself".

how did you do that?

CDN5.0 06-03-2014 10:37 PM

Another member of the "it was all of 200 miles past warranty and still a year under date warranty" club - dealership treated me like I was a hobo asking to borrow a $10 bill - Ford builds my favourite car but their after sales SUCKS HUGE

Grok 06-04-2014 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCA2011 (Post 6431306)
3 years 42K miles, no issue.

Car has only been hand washed in the driveway except for a couple winter trips to the self serve bay

Thanks for this, It seems hand washing really pays off. There may be a connection to touchless washes and this problem just like the service rep says. The manual mentions the dangers of car washes under the alloy rim care section.

The do it yourself fixes are very interesting and of course all are welcome to share any unique experiences in this thread.

The poll is focused on Fords treatment of this issue.

yllw_06_base 06-04-2014 01:24 AM

There was a TSB about it for my year, 2006. Something about iron contamination on aluminum hoods. On mine it reared its ugly head on the top edge near the passenger windshield wiper arm. I noticed it in 2008 when the car had 32,000 on it. The service writer at Wayne Akers Ford in Lake Worth FL said that Ford only warranties paint for 18,000 miles? I asked him to take pics and mail them to Ford. I was denied but I don't think they really sent in the pics because when I wrote Ford Corp customer service they had no idea what I was talking about. Last Ford I'll ever buy. Now in 2014 the hood looks like crap as the corrosion has spread and popped up in other places on and underneath the hood.smilie_b_016.gifA little chunk of metal on the front lip (corroded) just fell off the friggin' hood the other day. I hate Chevy badly so next time out I guess its a Challenger !

740weapon 06-04-2014 07:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My hood is a disaster. I didn't even bother to approach the dealer because I know they can't fix it permanently. Whenever it peels off and I see aluminium, I just touch-up that spot with paint so its blue again.

scott_0 06-04-2014 08:55 AM

my hood was replaced by Ford last August