Time for a Hood Corrosion poll - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Have you ever had a hood corrosion problem during the Warranty period?
No! never had a problem within the warranty period. 117 53.92%
Yes! Ford replaced my hood. 7 3.23%
Yes! Ford repaired/repainted my hood. 43 19.82%
Yes! But Ford refused to do anything. 45 20.74%
Bonus question... Yes! Ford repaired/replaced hood after the warranty expired!! 5 2.30%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 366 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Cool Time for a Hood Corrosion poll

Seems like a lot of people have got Hood Cancer, seems like a good time to see the extent of the outbreak and the measures taken by Ford to fix this problem.

I'll start.

Corrosion started at underside seam late last year, dealer repainted area. Looks fine except for a slightly sloppy "Information Decal" masking job.

Dealer asked if I ever used touchless car washes (I do in the winter) because he says that these washes use a very aggressive detergent and that it can contain sodium hydroxide, similar to dishwasher detergent, it can sit in the seam and cuase the corrosion a lot of people experience. Anyone who has put bare aluminum cookware in the dishwasher knows what happens! Anyway he suggested that if you rinse the underside of the hood off as soon as possible, the risk of it happening is minimal.

I'm doing that now when I have to use a touchless wash between handwashings.

The poll question is:

Have you ever had a hood corrosion problem during the Warranty period?

Please add details about your car washing methods, grounding success/failure etc. I hope this poll helps solve this issue.

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'd like to answer the poll but there is no option for:

The corrosion was there during the warranty period, but I did not notice it until after the warranty expired, and I have not pushed it with my local dealer because it is only on the bottom, so far.

From what I understand of this problem, it has nothing to do with detergents or salt or anything else. It is 100% manufacturing defect ; caused by iron contamination in the welds of the hood ; and since it is practically impossible to remove that iron contamination, it is practically impossible to "fix" permanently. You can clean up the surface and repaint it, but the contamination is still there inside, and that is why it comes back.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 366 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I'd like to answer the poll but there is no option for:

The corrosion was there during the warranty period, but I did not notice it until after the warranty expired, and I have not pushed it with my local dealer because it is only on the bottom, so far.

From what I understand of this problem, it has nothing to do with detergents or salt or anything else. It is 100% manufacturing defect ; caused by iron contamination in the welds of the hood ; and since it is practically impossible to remove that iron contamination, it is practically impossible to "fix" permanently. You can clean up the surface and repaint it, but the contamination is still there inside, and that is why it comes back.
Yes it's a challenge designing the perfect poll. If Ford does fix you up, the last box is for you though! I put the last box in thinking that a lot of ticks there would indicate that Ford realizes there is a legitimate issue.

Thanks for the additional comments, that helps too. The iron contamination theory I've seen mentioned, but I have yet to see the unmistakable red color of iron oxide in these problem areas. It has always been the white powdery form of aluminum oxide.

I think there is no doubt that this is an engineering/manufacturing SNAFU.

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

post #4 of 366 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Exclamation Hey Devoda20!

So Devoda20, You haven't had a problem throughout the warranty period. Can you share your secret? Perhaps you live away from the ocean or always hand wash your Stang??

PONY Member

Happened to my 2011. Had it repaired last year. I'm sure it'll return in the next 18 months.
PONY Member

Had it on my '12 GT about 12 months ago. Ford repaired the issue and it hasn't been back since.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

3 years 42K miles, no issue.

Car has only been hand washed in the driveway except for a couple winter trips to the self serve bay

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Rookie

curveball… noticed hood corrosion in end of February this year - had it approved for warranty in March - Got a new hood... Repair took 3 weeks… took until mid April - noticed that the new paint, less than 2 months old, is already peeling off
GT Member
V6 Member

There's no option for "I have corrosion and fixed it myself".

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergjh View Post
There's no option for "I have corrosion and fixed it myself".
how did you do that?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Another member of the "it was all of 200 miles past warranty and still a year under date warranty" club - dealership treated me like I was a hobo asking to borrow a $10 bill - Ford builds my favourite car but their after sales SUCKS HUGE

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #12 of 366 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
3 years 42K miles, no issue.

Car has only been hand washed in the driveway except for a couple winter trips to the self serve bay
Thanks for this, It seems hand washing really pays off. There may be a connection to touchless washes and this problem just like the service rep says. The manual mentions the dangers of car washes under the alloy rim care section.

The do it yourself fixes are very interesting and of course all are welcome to share any unique experiences in this thread.

The poll is focused on Fords treatment of this issue.

Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

There was a TSB about it for my year, 2006. Something about iron contamination on aluminum hoods. On mine it reared its ugly head on the top edge near the passenger windshield wiper arm. I noticed it in 2008 when the car had 32,000 on it. The service writer at Wayne Akers Ford in Lake Worth FL said that Ford only warranties paint for 18,000 miles? I asked him to take pics and mail them to Ford. I was denied but I don't think they really sent in the pics because when I wrote Ford Corp customer service they had no idea what I was talking about. Last Ford I'll ever buy. Now in 2014 the hood looks like crap as the corrosion has spread and popped up in other places on and underneath the hood.A little chunk of metal on the front lip (corroded) just fell off the friggin' hood the other day. I hate Chevy badly so next time out I guess its a Challenger !

Last edited by yllw_06_base; 06-04-2014 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Text
PONY Member

My hood is a disaster. I didn't even bother to approach the dealer because I know they can't fix it permanently. Whenever it peels off and I see aluminium, I just touch-up that spot with paint so its blue again.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
GT Member

my hood was replaced by Ford last August

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page