First oil change,Whats Best for these 5.0's - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Out of all of the Mustang's I've had, I have always used RP or Amsoil.

Now that I have a Track Pack GT and will be racing it, 5W50 is "required" however, I went with RP 10W40 since this is not going to be a track car and raced hard often. I've spoken to a couple of Engine oil guru's and they've flat out stated that the Motorcraft oil (5W50) shears too quickly easily becoming a 40 Weight oil, whereas an Amsoil or RP will hold up with harder driving.

In addition, I've always felt that Amsoil was a great oil and it had almost no oil consumption compared to the RP I used to use. Mobil one is most certainly one of the better options, but, after a lot of tests in which those results are posted online, Amsoil and RP perform better with less long-term wear on the engines.

2014 GT - Track Pack, Leather Recaros, Electronics Package, Back-up Camera - Ported CJ Manifold, SCJ Mono-Blade TB, Custom Intake, Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks O/R H-pipe, Borla S-Types, AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ

Ordered: 3/19/2014 - Built: 5/13/2014 - Delivered: 5/19/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to stigma
Oil change

I do not have the track pkg....should i use the 5/50?

SCT X4 Tuner Stock Air Box Lethal Off Road H-Pipe Circle D 5c Flow Master Mufflers SR Lowering Springs Automatic w/3.15 rear gears-Line Lock M.A.P Mike Rousch Tune BMR Rear Sway Bar Relocation SVE Drag wheels 15x10 w/275-60-15 Nitto 555R's M/T 26x6x17 front 17x4.5 Skinnys...
Best so far 11.72 @117.59 Mph-
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigma View Post
I do not have the track pkg....should i use the 5/50?
5W50 is overkill for these motors IMO.

If you don't intend on racing the car, 5W30 is the way to go for summer driving and 5W20 for winter.

2014 GT - Track Pack, Leather Recaros, Electronics Package, Back-up Camera - Ported CJ Manifold, SCJ Mono-Blade TB, Custom Intake, Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks O/R H-pipe, Borla S-Types, AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ

Ordered: 3/19/2014 - Built: 5/13/2014 - Delivered: 5/19/2014

PONY Member

I use Motorcraft 5W-20 and a Motorcraft FL500s filter on mine. I may go with the FL820s filter next time.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page