Disable Dashboard 12V when Vehicle Off? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Disable Dashboard 12V when Vehicle Off?

Hello,

I have noticed the 12V receptacle in the front of the vehicle (between the vents) still provides power when the vehicle is off, while the 12V receptacle in the center console compartment does not provide power while off.

My question is, does anyone know how one could alter the front dash receptacle to behave like the center console receptacle? Is it a simple wiring issue?

Despite my engineering degree I really have limited knowledge on electrical/car stuff so if anyone has ideas about this please do share in detail I have a 2014 V6 Premium.

Thank you!

Matt.

2014 V6 Premium
Pony Package
Technology Package
Comfort Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Both outlets should have battery (constant) power unless something is different in the '14 compared to '11 and '12 models - possible but doubtful.

To change them to ignition controlled power, you will have to rewire. And since they are each fused individually at the Battery Junction Box under the hood (20A fuses #F5 and #F22), you'll have to rewire them both separately - there's no common power supply wire that connects to both.

Rewiring is no big deal electrically... there are several ignition switched sources in the Smart Junction Box (the fuse panel behind the right side kick panel) that you could use for power supply. The difficulty will be gaining access to the back of the power ports and routing your new wires.

If you want to ensure minimal impact on the factory circuits, you should use relays wired to an ignition switched source in the SJB to switch the existing constant power on and off. The relay coil won't have any impact on your ignition source and you'll still have the full 20A power supply to each outlet.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Bird is right, but if you just want simple how about getting to the wire at the one you want shut off and splicing in a toggle switch? You'ld have to toggle it yourself but it would be easier although not as nice.

side note......Bird in another thread you posted pics of the T/A I wanted to say nice ride.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page