PONY Member

New parts for the pony!

Got these the other day:
Lowering springs/Panhard bar
Barton short throw shifter
Stage 3 exedy clutch (spelling?)

Still waiting for (but already ordered)
Procharger stage 2 supercharger kit from AmericanMuscle

The shifter is fantastic! So much better than the stock one, even without the bracket! I just ordered the shifter only. I installed it as soon as I got it, and drove around for about an hour just shifting around town and amazed at how much better it is that stock.

The stage 3 clutch is going to be like a gym membership, or so I'm told, for daily driving. But I wanted something that will withstand the weekend dragstrip passes, unlike the stock clutch which is already starting to wear. My local ford dealer is installing the clutch as we speak. Should have it back this evening or tomorrow morning.

Procharger will be installed and tuned at Dyno speed racing in Memphis, Tennessee. Has anybody ever dealt with these guys? Good? Bad? I dynoed there and they seemed fine, but I would like some outside reviews if possible.

With my Longtubes and off road X, what power levels do you think I'll be pushing at 8psi? Is that a reasonable level for stock internals? I do like to run the car, I'm not going to beat around the bush on that situation. With that said, I'm open to options.

Flame Suit on!! (:

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 6spd manual transmission-BBK Longtube headers-BBK O/R X- Borla S Type mufflers- Dolce DC34 Matte Black wheels - 255/35/20 Nexen N3000 all around.
Raxiom halos, all lights smoked, louvers, Tuned by Lund Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014
Apprentice

Congrats on the mods! You really picked some nice stuff. I'm really interested to know how the clutch works out for you. I'm putting a vortech in my car as we speak. I was putting the new pulley system together in my garage yesterday, and I thought about the fact that my clutch is probably not going to last long. Why did you pick the Exedy? Just want to know what you found out about that company. I've only heard about people mainly loving the McLeod clutches. Thanks for your response.

2014 Saleen Mustang White Label 14-013: Vortech V3 supercharger, Lund Tuned, ID1000's, NGK iridium plugs, Airaid CAI, BMR upper control arm and mount, BMR lower control arms w/ relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar and support brace, koni sport struts/shocks w/ GT500 strut mount, GT500 Brembo brake upgrade, CS fog lights, Stillen chin spoiler, Barton Shifter and two post bracket, Plasti-Dipped hood vents, and various Saleen parts and accessories.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsSaleen View Post
Congrats on the mods! You really picked some nice stuff. I'm really interested to know how the clutch works out for you. I'm putting a vortech in my car as we speak. I was putting the new pulley system together in my garage yesterday, and I thought about the fact that my clutch is probably not going to last long. Why did you pick the Exedy? Just want to know what you found out about that company. I've only heard about people mainly loving the McLeod clutches. Thanks for your response.
McLeod was too expensive, price was the main reason. I have heard good amounts about them through mustang friends who also have the same clutch.

I cannot wait for my procharger. What boost will you be running? Other mods?

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 6spd manual transmission-BBK Longtube headers-BBK O/R X- Borla S Type mufflers- Dolce DC34 Matte Black wheels - 255/35/20 Nexen N3000 all around.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 pt oh View Post
McLeod was too expensive, price was the main reason. I have heard good amounts about them through mustang friends who also have the same clutch.

I cannot wait for my procharger. What boost will you be running? Other mods?
I ordered the Vortech from Beefcake racing. It was a tuner kit and Terry was great to work with. I will be running about 8.5-9 pounds of boost and I just want a safe fun tune. The supporting mods as of now are the JPC coolant resevoir, ID1000's, BAP, NGK spark plugs, some breathers for the PCV ports, airaid CAI, and I went with a upgraded T clamp set disigned for the Vortech. I should be done with the install on Sunday and will start data logging with Lund on Monday. I will do a full write up of the install once it's all complete.

All other mods are in my signature.

In the future I will be buying the McLeod RST clutch, steel flywheel, and a Shaftmaster driveshaft.

2014 Saleen Mustang White Label 14-013: Vortech V3 supercharger, Lund Tuned, ID1000's, NGK iridium plugs, Airaid CAI, BMR upper control arm and mount, BMR lower control arms w/ relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar and support brace, koni sport struts/shocks w/ GT500 strut mount, GT500 Brembo brake upgrade, CS fog lights, Stillen chin spoiler, Barton Shifter and two post bracket, Plasti-Dipped hood vents, and various Saleen parts and accessories.

Last edited by JasonsSaleen; 06-05-2014 at 07:26 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Got these the other day:
Lowering springs/Panhard bar
Barton short throw shifter
Stage 3 exedy clutch (spelling?)

Still waiting for (but already ordered)
Procharger stage 2 supercharger kit from AmericanMuscle

The shifter is fantastic! So much better than the stock one, even without the bracket! I just ordered the shifter only. I installed it as soon as I got it, and drove around for about an hour just shifting around town and amazed at how much better it is that stock.

The stage 3 clutch is going to be like a gym membership, or so I'm told, for daily driving. But I wanted something that will withstand the weekend dragstrip passes, unlike the stock clutch which is already starting to wear. My local ford dealer is installing the clutch as we speak. Should have it back this evening or tomorrow morning.

Procharger will be installed and tuned at Dyno speed racing in Memphis, Tennessee. Has anybody ever dealt with these guys? Good? Bad? I dynoed there and they seemed fine, but I would like some outside reviews if possible.

With my Longtubes and off road X, what power levels do you think I'll be pushing at 8psi? Is that a reasonable level for stock internals? I do like to run the car, I'm not going to beat around the bush on that situation. With that said, I'm open to options.

Flame Suit on!! (:
Great list of mods you have lined up! If you already love the Barton shifter, than you got to check out the shifter bracket. Slamming gears is surprisingly easier with the shifter bracket, especially 3rd gear.

With 8psi and LT headers, you should see right around 600rwhp with the Procharger kit. In fact, I think you could easily make 590rwhp with a very safe tune.

Lastly, I suggest upgrading your stock two-piece driveshaft to a one-piece aftermarket unit. With those power levels, it won't take much to snap the stock DS at one of the joints. Especially if you plan to hit the drag once in a while.

Hope this info helps!

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsSaleen View Post
I ordered the Vortech from Beefcake racing. It was a tuner kit and Terry was great to work with. I will be running about 8.5-9 pounds of booth and I just want a safe fun tune. The supporting mods as of now are the JPC coolant resevoir, ID100's, BAP, NGK spark plugs, some breathers for the PCV ports, airaid CAI, and I went with a upgraded T clamp set disigned for the Vortech. I should be done with the install on Sunday and will start data logging with Lund on Monday. I will do a full write up of the install once it's all complete.

All other mods are in my signature.

In the future I will be buying the McLeod RST clutch, steel flywheel, and a Shaftmaster driveshaft.
JasonsSaleen,

I like to sounds of your setup as well! The only thing I wanted to point out or suggest was upgrading to the RXT clutch instead of the RST. The RXT has the same street manners as the RST and it is a lot more resistant to heat. I prefer the RXT because it allows you the ability to slip the clutch harshly during drag launches and withstand the heat without glazing over.

Don't get me wrong, the RST is still a great clutch. IMO, if you're going to purchase the RST, it's better to take the next setup for to RXT!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Great list of mods you have lined up! If you already love the Barton shifter, than you got to check out the shifter bracket. Slamming gears is surprisingly easier with the shifter bracket, especially 3rd gear.

With 8psi and LT headers, you should see right around 600rwhp with the Procharger kit. In fact, I think you could easily make 590rwhp with a very safe tune.

Lastly, I suggest upgrading your stock two-piece driveshaft to a one-piece aftermarket unit. With those power levels, it won't take much to snap the stock DS at one of the joints. Especially if you plan to hit the drag once in a while.

Hope this info helps!

Shane

JasonsSaleen,

I like to sounds of your setup as well! The only thing I wanted to point out or suggest was upgrading to the RXT clutch instead of the RST. The RXT has the same street manners as the RST and it is a lot more resistant to heat. I prefer the RXT because it allows you the ability to slip the clutch harshly during drag launches and withstand the heat without glazing over.

Don't get me wrong, the RST is still a great clutch. IMO, if you're going to purchase the RST, it's better to take the next setup for to RXT!

Shane
Just got a call from the Ford dealer, they said I need dowel pins? (Spelling? ) I thought that was included with the clutch kits on the 2011 up mustangs? It says on the box they come with them but they said they aren't there

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
Site Sponsor

You should be able to use the factory dowel pins in the stock flywheel. I don't see why you would need aftermarket dowel pins for this install job. Looking at the hardware included on the site, it doesn't seem like Exedy provides them either.

To be honest, I've never performed a clutch install on an 11-14 GT. I've installed clutches on tones of New Edge Mustangs, and one 05-09 GT, but never did I need to replace the down pins in the flywheel. I don't see why the 11-14 GT's would be any different here.

Did you have your stock flywheel resurfaced? If so, I'm wondering if the tech pulled the stock dowel pins out to resurface the clutch and misplaced or lost them?

I'll contact some guys here or friends that have particularly installed an Exedy clutch onto a 11-14 GT to double check, but I have a strong feeling these guys are pulling your chain a little here.

Shane

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
You should be able to use the factory dowel pins in the stock flywheel. I don't see why you would need aftermarket dowel pins for this install job. Looking at the hardware included on the site, it doesn't seem like Exedy provides them either.

To be honest, I've never performed a clutch install on an 11-14 GT. I've installed clutches on tones of New Edge Mustangs, and one 05-09 GT, but never did I need to replace the down pins in the flywheel. I don't see why the 11-14 GT's would be any different here.

Did you have your stock flywheel resurfaced? If so, I'm wondering if the tech pulled the stock dowel pins out to resurface the clutch and misplaced or lost them?

I'll contact some guys here or friends that have particularly installed an Exedy clutch onto a 11-14 GT to double check, but I have a strong feeling these guys are pulling your chain a little here.

Shane
Got Excedy to ship me out a set, the tech at ford said the stock pins were not big enough for this clutch, and that they would rattle and one hard launch and you'll be sitting right where you tried to launch.

They were free, so I guess it was a mistake. The instructions on the clutch kit say they coke with new ones.

Should have the pins in tomorrow along with the car that evening. Really excited to break this puppy in a take it to the strip!! What is recommended for break in?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Got Excedy to ship me out a set, the tech at ford said the stock pins were not big enough for this clutch, and that they would rattle and one hard launch and you'll be sitting right where you tried to launch.

They were free, so I guess it was a mistake. The instructions on the clutch kit say they coke with new ones.

Should have the pins in tomorrow along with the car that evening. Really excited to break this puppy in a take it to the strip!! What is recommended for break in?
Well that's good to hear! Always nice to learn something new too. 11-14 GT Exedy clutches use a larger dowel pin...

Most companies recommend clutch break-ins to be at least 500 "city" miles. That means lots of engaging and disengaging or slipping of the clutch at light to part throttle. A 200 mile highway road trip does not count!!

After that, the clutch should be more than ready to see some abuse. Hit the track and take advantage of the clutch with a killer 60'!

Shane

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Well that's good to hear! Always nice to learn something new too. 11-14 GT Exedy clutches use a larger dowel pin...

Most companies recommend clutch break-ins to be at least 500 "city" miles. That means lots of engaging and disengaging or slipping of the clutch at light to part throttle. A 200 mile highway road trip does not count!!

After that, the clutch should be more than ready to see some abuse. Hit the track and take advantage of the clutch with a killer 60'!

Shane
Right now I'm at 1.797 for my best 60ft. Hopefully get that down to 1.6's and be running 11's in the quarter all day long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page