How much is my '14 GT worth on trade? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

How much is my '14 GT worth on trade?

Hey Guys! I wanted to get your honest opinion if my trade-in offer is fair or not. They offered me $23,000 for my 2014 GT base manual with no options and with 6,000mi on the odometer, but probably 9,000mi when I actually turn it in. Fair or Not?

Keep in mind these two factors: First, I ordered the new 2015 S550, I'm trading my 2014 GT Base towards that and they're offering me a hard trade-in figure now even though I'll be driving it for months until I take delivery of the '15. Most importantly, the 2014 Mustang GT base is selling for $26k or less brand new in many areas. Second, I'm getting a GREAT deal on the 2015 GT- $880 below invoice! Most dealers didn't want to give me a solid trade in figure now, 4+ months ahead of time for obvious reasons. Most gave me a ballpark figure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
GT Member

I gotta ask why you bought a 14 when you knew you wanted a 15?

I know nothing about US prices, my car is spec'd out and it was a near 50k sticker here in Canada.

I will probably acquire a 2016 once they work out all the first year model glitches.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson68944 View Post
Hey Guys! I wanted to get your honest opinion if my trade-in offer is fair or not. They offered me $23,000 for my 2014 GT base manual with no options and with 6,000mi on the odometer, but probably 9,000mi when I actually turn it in. Fair or Not?

Keep in mind these two factors: First, I ordered the new 2015 S550, I'm trading my 2014 GT Base towards that and they're offering me a hard trade-in figure now even though I'll be driving it for months until I take delivery of the '15. Most importantly, the 2014 Mustang GT base is selling for $26k or less brand new in many areas. Second, I'm getting a GREAT deal on the 2015 GT- $880 below invoice! Most dealers didn't want to give me a solid trade in figure now, 4+ months ahead of time for obvious reasons. Most gave me a ballpark figure.
Considering what you likely paid and given the depreciation and current incentives, $23,000 sounds very reasonable for a stripped GT. It's not too much less than what one might pay to buy a new one today.

Especially if they're offering you a hard trade value today for a future turn-in, you might do better but it won't be by much. In the meantime, I'd try to sell it independently and have the dealer do a pass-through transaction to the new buyer so you can retain the sales tax credit.

2013 GT500 Coupe • Performance White • Race Red Stripes • SVT Performance Package • SVT Track Package • Glass Roof • Electronics Package • Recaro Seats • Shaker Pro • Car Cover

2013 GT500 Convertible • Performance White • Race Red Stripes • SVT Performance Package • Electronics Package • Recaro Seats • Shaker Pro • Car Cover

2012 BOSS 302 • Race Red • White "C" Stripe • Recaro Seats and Torsen Helical Differential • BOSS 302 Car Cover

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
Apprentice

I was offered 24K with 8500 (base GT) in February. On a trade in with a Ford dealer. Didn't take it, but I thought it was fair at the time.

2014 GT: Race Red. Stuff added...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson68944 View Post

Base with no options new:

New 2014 Ford Mustang For Sale | Fairfax VA

I think the offer is more than fair.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
PONY Member

Sounds fair. They cant sell it for a whole lot more than that as brand new ones are going for just a few grand more OTD.

I remember your post last year, when you bought the 2014. Folks were criticizing you for paying too much for your car. The hit you're going to take is now going to be $8-10K instead of $4-6K if you had held out for a better price.

Hopefully, you have better luck with the 2015.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
PONY Member

Sounds about right, your trade in value won't change with a couple thousand more miles on it because the car dropped in value as soon as it left the lot. Such is the nature of buying new cars, depreciation sucks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

From everything I have heard here and seen for myself I believe it's a fair offer.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
Apprentice

Sounds like a really good number, especially considering the price on the '15.

2013 DIB 301A / Auto / Recaro / Brembo
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for your opinion, guys! I thought it was fair, too!

Fatopotomus- You're telling me! I learned a lot that time. It was my first new car purchase. I wasn't going to let it happen again.
PONY Member

Take it, it's surprising they are making an offer 4 months out. Values can change quite a bit in 4 months. I expect values to drop a lot on 14s then pick back up a bit after the buzz of the new model is over. Can you wait for a 2016 instead? You will probably get it cheaper and the 2016 will be a better car. BTW "Invoice" is the new "Retail" or "MSRP" as far as I'm concerned.
Apprentice

Yeah, I doubt you get anything more than that offer OP. Mustangs are great cars but the market stays flooded with them because of their popularity. That all adds up to faster depreciation. Just for kicks, I did a search on just Cars.com and limited it to 11-14 GT and GT Premium. There are 1,468 listed for sale. Factor in the fact that not every person or dealer lists on cars.com and the number is even higher. Mustang is not alone though. As a rule, you have to keep a car a few years to break even. Trade fast and you will take a loss every time. I didn't get what I wanted for my 13 either.

1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Auto--Gone a long time ago. 1st Stang
1987 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual--Sold
2008 Mustang GT Manual--Sold
2013 Mustang GT 5.0 Auto--Sold
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual--Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page