What's your GT's MPG ???? Good or Bad ???? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

2012 GT/CS
23912.7 mileage history
21.01 MPG

Mix 60/40 freeway/2 lane roads

I have never seen 26 MPG. A number of 25.xx MPG.

Freeway driving is usually 5-9 mph over limit.

Check this site out for MPG info:
Ford Mustang MPG Reports | Fuelly

BTW I drive my Mustang for fun not for economy. I do not hypermile!

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
Ernest Hemingway 1899-1961
2012 GTCS 6 MT 3.55 Race Red
1994 GT Convertible 5 MT 3.73 Deep Forest Green - SOLD
TEKNO SCT410, Tekin Pro4 4600KV RX8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Don't be surprised if the new GT gets better mileage than an old V6 if you drive the same, the V6 had to be driven harder to achieve the same results. If you actually USE the power of a new GT don't be surprised if it is worse. It is shocking that 400HP can be rated in the high teens. Technology is our friend.

Apprentice

I went from a 07 to the 5.0 GT and I can tell you I got the same MPGs when I switched to the GT. My V6 was an auto, had a tune, CAI, and 3.73 gears. Very impressive when you think that I got double the horsepower and still used the same amount of gas.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the info guys. It helps a lot. We don't buy and love our mustangs for MPGs but it's just good to see that it will not cost more in gas then the 07 zv6 :-). That one will stay in the family for the kids.

I was told that ford sells a power pack that helps with sound and maybe mpg and power? With K and n air filter and turner and ford racing mufflers?????? Anyone have this or used it?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2fast View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. It helps a lot. We don't buy and love our mustangs for MPGs but it's just good to see that it will not cost more in gas then the 07 zv6 :-). That one will stay in the family for the kids.

I was told that ford sells a power pack that helps with sound and maybe mpg and power? With K and n air filter and turner and ford racing mufflers?????? Anyone have this or used it?
No experience with that pack directly, but almost every CAI maker out there advertises better fuel economy and if there are any they are negligible, and the tunes from ford don't do much from what I've been told like 5-6 hp maybe. Coupled with an exhaust your mpg will probably go down as it will take some serious restraint to behave with the throttle just to hear the engine. I just switched from a 14 v6 to a 11 gt/cs, I don't know about you but I already knew my mpgs would be bad for the first bit as I adjust to the 5.0 since the power is intoxicating. Just enjoy the car for what it is, a muscle car because if you try and baby it and get the best mpg possible you probably aren't going to enjoy it very much, but hey that's just me. But I am using about the same amount of fuel that I did in my 06 v6.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Hey brushmore, I love the avatar! "No, No, No, No, Nooooooooooo!!! Why, oh why, oh why???" LOL!
Apprentice
5.0L Member

MPG is all how you drive. When I was stock I was getting combined numbers around 19/20 and as high as 28 highway. Now I'm running a TVS and full exhaust and I am getting 17/18 when I don't run it hard. In the city I'm getting around 11 and have gotten 24 on the highway.
Apprentice

I drive winding Pennsylvania roads to work everyday which are insanely fun (with there's not someone in front of you doing the speed limit) and I don't take it easy. I have about 2500 miles right now and I average about 15.5mpg. However, this is my first manual transmission car so I'm still getting the nuances of everything, and my mpg is going up as I get better and the car gets broken in. But, as has been said, I didn't buy it for the mileage. Only got 18 in my 4 cylinder I had before the mustang because I drove it hard, so I lost a few mpg, but it's SO much more fun, though I do use premium, so it does add up.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
SOLD -- 2014 Base GT 6 Speed Manual
GT Member

My 2007 GT 5-speed gets about 16-17 city and 24.75 highway when I drive right (cruise set around 78), 14/21 when I don't.

My 2006 GT automatic got 14-15 city and 21 highway when driven right, 12.5/18 when I didn't.

2006 GT was computer and hand verified; the 2007 is all hand. I went with a deluxe GT to avoid the door panel mess falling again, but the computer and hand were both very close.

I may be wrong, but I believe the 2011-2014 5.0s are extremely close, if not a slight bit higher than the 4.6 3vs.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers

Last edited by jlee910; 06-09-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Computer vs Hand left out
Apprentice

I'm averaging about 18mpg but have only had the car a few weeks so hopefully it will go up some. But ultimately it is a weekend toy so doesn't matter much, I wanted the 5.0 so knew the mileage was going to suck.

2014 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium with nav, RR and comfy packages, 3.73 limited slip axle and optional 19" machined aluminum wheels

Mods: Boss 302 exhaust with QTP electric cutouts, Borla S-type axle backs, BBK Black Out CAI, aluminum Ford Racing coil covers, Steeda short shifter & bracket, Ford Racing Handling Kit, SHR window louvers
Apprentice

Was averaging about 17.5 but found real gas (no ethanol) and now getting about 20.

Silver 2015 Ecoboost Premium w/ PP
PONY Member

15 months and 4200 miles. I use 93 octane and my care has 3.73's. Not overly aggressive driving, but block to block stops. 9 mpg's. Seriously. 24 mpgs when cruise is on 70mph

2014 5.0 Base 6MT Sterling Grey w/ 3.73's - OptiGuarded, FRPP TrackCal Tune, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust with Ford Racing GT500 Axlebacks, Barton 6-Speed White Ball Shift Knob, MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers, MMD Decklid Panel, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Boss 302 Grille w/ Foglights, MGP Caliper Covers, Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, JLT Oil Separator, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Roush RTR Rocker Panel Splitters, Tri-bar Wheel Caps, Front Splash Guards, & WeatherTech Laser Cut Floor Liners.

Last edited by DavidKyle1986; 06-14-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: highway mileage
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

Real world numbers:

slorydn1's Profile | Fuelly

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
PONY Member

I have 500 miles on my 2014 GT. I'm averaging 23 mpg so far.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2fast View Post
Ok going to be getting a new GT. I see the numbers posted are 18/25?

I have a 2007 V6 with 20" shelby wheels and big tires that the sticker MPG are 18/26

So can it be right that I can get the same MPG on a New GT as my 2007 V6?

What numbers are you guys getting and what do you think?
Ford's current 5.0 engine is impressive - I have one in a 2011 Mustang GT Automatic and another in a 2013 F150 (my four wheel drive winter Mustang).

For the first 34,184 miles the Mustang has averaged 27.07269 miles per (US) gallon (that is 2 MPG over the EPA's highway rating for the car), with a low average for a full tank of 22.88 MPG, and a high average for a full tank of 32.29 MPG. The hand calculated MPG is typically 6% to 8% higher than the MPG readout on the dash. The 5.0 in the F150... the hand calculated MPG is typically 6% to 8% lower than the readout on the dash, and is running in the neighborhood of what I expected from the Mustang when I custom ordered it (somewhere around 16.5 MPG).

The fuel efficiency of the Mustang's 5.0 is heavily dependent on how you drive the car. Several cold starts per tank with short trips (less than 10 miles each), with a few full throttle runs will probably allow the Mustang's 5.0 to return 22-23 MPG. Forcing the engine to shift above 2,000 RPM on most shifts will drop that MPG by 2 or 3. Failing to coast in gear when approaching stop signs / red lights will drop that MPG by another 2 or 3 MPG. So, my Mustang's low of 22.88 MPG could have very easily been 18 MPG or less with slight tweaks to driving behavior.

At least once or twice a tank I plant the accelerator to the floorboard to bring the Mustang up to the speed limit - that might help to blow the carbon buildup out of the engine.

Attached are three pictures that show the MPG readout on the dash of my car: Picture 1 is from today, indicating that the current tank is at 27.0 MPG (actual MPG should be close to 29.1). Picture 2 is from two years ago on the second to best full tank average, with a 30.2 showing on the dash. Picture 3 is from a week after I bought the Mustang, showing 26.4 MPG at 1088 miles (I put nearly 2,000 miles on the car within the first 14 days, mostly just cruising around).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34498 Miles - 27.0 MPG.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	356209   Click image for larger version

Name:	19171 Miles - 30.2 MPG.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	356217   Click image for larger version

Name:	1088 Miles - 26.4 MPG.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	356225  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page