Post oil change issue - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Post oil change issue

I did a usual oil change this afternoon, second one, just shy of 5000 miles. Everything went fine, I'm certain nothing was missed or forgotten. Afterwards I went for a little drive to get things flowing so i could do a final check and make sure all is well.

I happened to stop somewhere, and when i went to start her back up, with the blip of the throttle the engine felt like it falls on its' face for the first few seconds then everything is ok. Also, during this time, my oil temp gauge SLOWLY climbs to standard operating temps.
Anyone got any ideas of what I might have done or what is going on? Thanks in advance!

2013 GT Premium, Brembo's, Track Pack, 6MT, Recaro's, Reverse Sensors/Camera, GT500 A/B, BMR Springs, Strange 10-way Adjustables w/GT500 Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, 20" Staggered Vossen CV2's/Nitto Invo's.....BMR UCA/Bracket, BMR LCA's, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets being done soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
PONY Member

Did this just happen one time or each time you start now?

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan01 View Post
Did this just happen one time or each time you start now?
Each time I start now, unfortunately.
Am i possibly looking at a tune problem? Was considering swapping to stock tune to knock out any variables....

2013 GT Premium, Brembo's, Track Pack, 6MT, Recaro's, Reverse Sensors/Camera, GT500 A/B, BMR Springs, Strange 10-way Adjustables w/GT500 Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, 20" Staggered Vossen CV2's/Nitto Invo's.....BMR UCA/Bracket, BMR LCA's, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets being done soon.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
GT Member

so it is tuned? didn't see that mentioned in the OP, absolutely return to stock and see if the issue goes away, if it goes away contact your tuner. who tuned it btw?

Sent from my M8 using AutoGuide.com app

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It's a bama tune. Has been running great until yesterday. Like I said, 3-5 seconds after the engine being fired up, it seems to revert back to being normal. But if you give it any gas during that period it seems as if there's little life to it.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Bad oil filter, maybe? Weird on the oil temp deal

2012 GT Premuim A/T Sterling Gray, Loaded, Tinted, Steeda 93 Tune, JLT Oil catch can, 12" MTX Sub, CHE LCA's, GT500's, Boss/CS Lower Fascia W/foglights.
2011 V6 M/T traded for 2012 GT
2007 GT M/T traded for CRV
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014
PONY Member

I think you have an oil pressure/ oil level sensor loose or bad - if there is no oil pressure engine shuts off - modern electronics. Not sure where the sensor is though - Maybe you pulled on a wire somewhere in your oil change process ?? do a websearch for the sensor and check it out - at best you might find the oil press sensor plug is half pulled out of the socket.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014
PONY Member

Also get rid of the bama tune for a while - possibility the problem is there from all I've heard about them.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

couple of thoughts.....maybe the temp sender is weighted and by that it will only increase xx deg in xx seconds and it's been doing this all along. I would also NOT touch throttle for the 1st 5 seconds just to get oil circulating before reving. I'll assume same weight oil but triple check..then try stock tune as others suggested.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

Since it happened right after you changed the oil I would look there after returning the tune to stock. I would suspect the oil filter- what filter did you put on? Did you fill it before installing?

[b]2013 GT Premium,Red Candy, 6AT: GT500AB, FRPP tune.

-Democrats are cockroaches
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I refilled with 5w-50 since it's a track pack car. I prefer to keep to manufacturer spec. Also used a FL 500 Motorcraft filter. Filled the filter before installing as well.

I'll be reverting back to stock this afternoon to see if anything changes, then hunt down loose plugs if nothing seems to be better.

GT Member

this is odd to say the least, when you say oil temperature, do you men's oil pressure? I don't think oil temperature would have any effect at all here. good luck and keep us updated

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
this is odd to say the least, when you say oil temperature, do you men's oil pressure? I don't think oil temperature would have any effect at all here. good luck and keep us updated

I'm referring to the oil temp gauge on the dash. I have the info screen and oil pressure says normal as well as temp when it reaches operating temp.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellobatman View Post
I'm referring to the oil temp gauge on the dash. I have the info screen and oil pressure says normal as well as temp when it reaches operating temp.
I wasn't aware there was a oil temperature reading, at any rate, it wouldn't cause this issue you're having..........

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellobatman View Post
I did a usual oil change this afternoon, second one, just shy of 5000 miles. Everything went fine, I'm certain nothing was missed or forgotten. Afterwards I went for a little drive to get things flowing so i could do a final check and make sure all is well.

I happened to stop somewhere, and when i went to start her back up, with the blip of the throttle the engine felt like it falls on its' face for the first few seconds then everything is ok. Also, during this time, my oil temp gauge SLOWLY climbs to standard operating temps.
Anyone got any ideas of what I might have done or what is going on? Thanks in advance!
Was this resolved for you, Hellobatman? If not, I recommend you bring it in to your dealer and have it checked out. Be sure to speak with your service manager as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page