Kooks Shorty Headers vs BBK Shory Headers for 2011-2014 Mustang GT's - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Kooks Shorty Headers vs BBK Shory Headers for 2011-2014 Mustang GT's

Hi everybody, I've been looking into buying some shorty headers for my 2012 Mustang GT. I'm debating between Kooks or BBK. I've noticed that the BBK shorty headers are cheaper but I haven't any videos on YouTube with anyone with a Mustang GT with those headers. I already know what the kooks shorty headers sound like with a Borla exhaust. I was hoping if anyone with that set up or just the BBK headers can maybe share a video just to check out how it sounds like. It also be cool if you guys can list how much power you can gain from the two. Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome to the site!! I moved your thread for a better response.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014
PONY Member

OP, what is your rational for deciding on shorties vs. longtubes? Long tubes offer a significant performance boost over shorties.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014
GT Member

since you're going through the headache of this install, just do long tubes man.......

Sent from my M8 using AutoGuide.com app

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

I could do that, but having a set up with longtubes and other changes to the exhaust is pretty much an impossible set up in California to pass the smog test.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I would find a good combination of a long tube with a high flow catted x or h pipe. I have had shortie headers before and the performance gain just wasn't worth the headache. Before using shorties, I'd just stick with the stock manifold and save some cash for something else.

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dprat View Post
I would find a good combination of a long tube with a high flow catted x or h pipe.
Did you even see his response? He's in California where they have much more strict emissions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asvega6018 View Post
I could do that, but having a set up with longtubes and other changes to the exhaust is pretty much an impossible set up in California to pass the smog test.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by asvega6018 View Post
Hi everybody, I've been looking into buying some shorty headers for my 2012 Mustang GT. I'm debating between Kooks or BBK. I've noticed that the BBK shorty headers are cheaper but I haven't any videos on YouTube with anyone with a Mustang GT with those headers. I already know what the kooks shorty headers sound like with a Borla exhaust. I was hoping if anyone with that set up or just the BBK headers can maybe share a video just to check out how it sounds like. It also be cool if you guys can list how much power you can gain from the two. Thanks guys!

FYI...

JBA is the ONLY company with CARB/California legal shorty headers for the 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0L cars. We found this out on my fathers GT when he was modding early this year.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmach View Post
Did you even see his response? He's in California where they have much more strict emissions.
Why yes I did. That's why my last sentence I said before I waste my money on shorty's, I'd stick to the stock manifold and spend money elsewhere.

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI
PONY Member

The car comes from the factory with headers. Why change them out?
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP. I don't know about sound improvements with regards to swapping out the factory headers with shorty's . But from a performance standpoint, the factory headers are pretty good. If you are looking for decent power gains, go to long tubes. And if your car is relatively stock even long tube headers wont get you a lot of extra power.
IMO. the factory system is good.Should you be considering extensive modifications, then by all means get long tubes. But I think personally that shorty headers are a waste of money. Sure, the companies selling them will brag them up, and insinuate substantial power gains. But again, IMO if you want to go to the trouble of swapping out manifolds, go all the way, to long tubes.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
5.0 , bbk , kooks , mustang , shorty headers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page