White letter tires? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Exclamation White letter tires?

Ive not seen many S197 cars with raised white letter or outline white letter tires...is this an old school thing that's gone?? Back in the day all muscle cars had white letter tires...

14 V6 Premium. AT.Race Red,tape stripe delete.
82 GT 5.0 MT Medium Red.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
GT Member

I think it is more preference thing, and the factory did the black wall instead as well. I personally do not like the white letters showing on any of my vehicles, but just my taste. Performance tires seem to not have the white lettering as much, at least in the 18 - 20" tires, so a little harder to find now a days too. For example, I have 255/35/20 front tires, just did a quick search on tirerack, and none show the white lettering available. If the tire manufacturers do not make them, then the auto manufactures can not even have the option to install them.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member

Its not even an option most of the time. I do like the look of white lettering though.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
PONY Member

I too have found raised white letter tires for our Mustangs difficult to find. Like everything else, I think it's cyclic. Raised white letters are so yesterday, until tomorrow, when someone will put a set on. Then someone else will think they're cool, and the whole fad will start again. I personally like them, but then I grew up with "Polyglass Bias-Ply" tires on my '68 Mustang.

But I find it hard to believe tire manufacturers have given up the free neon ad space, especially when everything made today is little more than a commercial.

2005 V6 Convertible
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The new low profile tires don't really lend themselves to large letters. I think BF Goodrich still makes them... for 14" tires. You can buy vinyl stick on letters though at Tred Wear Letters - Raised White Letter Tires in minutes- CUSTOM TIRESTredWear | A new concept in self expression for your tires. They can still look great with the 17" wheels. Not so much on 20".
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirageII View Post
I too have found raised white letter tires for our Mustangs difficult to find. Like everything else, I think it's cyclic. Raised white letters are so yesterday, until tomorrow, when someone will put a set on. Then someone else will think they're cool, and the whole fad will start again. I personally like them, but then I grew up with "Polyglass Bias-Ply" tires on my '68 Mustang.

But I find it hard to believe tire manufacturers have given up the free neon ad space, especially when everything made today is little more than a commercial.
How true, it's only uncool until enough people want them again!

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
PONY Member

Now if only bell bottoms would come back in vogue...

2005 V6 Convertible
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:

and they could charge extra for it.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
PONY Member

I'm old school & one of the first things I did to my '06 GT was to add white letters to the tires. Used a Paint pen from Autozone. Didn't last long & had to re do every few weeks. Took off after a while. Attached a pic showing the white lettered tires.

Current tire manufactures generally only offer white letter tires for trucks. Not so much for cars anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang 016.jpg
Views:	3346
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	354442  

2012 Race Red Boss 302 # 1055
Previous Mustangs;
Torch Red 2006 GT
20 Yrs of Mini-vans
Grabber Blue 1970 Boss 302
Lime Green 1969 Notchback Coupe
Maroon 1967 Vert
Apprentice

Here's a few cars I've owned in the past with raised white letter tires...I do not think raised white letters translate well into today's cars.

'15 Mustang
'11 BMW 328i (wife's car)
'02 Corvette Z06
'02 Corvette Convertible
Rookie

I just saw this at a show on the weekend and was impressed enough by the white letters to at least snap the image... I like the white letter look.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Now if only bell bottoms would come back in vogue...
They were in vogue not that many years ago. Did you miss it? Very groovy.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken14 View Post
Ive not seen many S197 cars with raised white letter or outline white letter tires...is this an old school thing that's gone?? Back in the day all muscle cars had white letter tires...
Back in the day, 60-series was low profile and you still had plenty of sidewall to work with. And people squeezed tires down onto unreasonably narrow wheels because wider wasn't as readily available . . . which made the letters stand out even more when they were down by the ground.

Nowadays, 60-profile tires are for grocery-getters and bland little commuter cars, which aren't likely to get that kind of visual enhancement from either the mfr or the typical consumer. Not even if the tires came wide enough to have good sidewall height (most are pretty narrow and still don't have much sidewall height).

Maybe you'd see more white letters in truck and SUV tire sizes . . .

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircare84 View Post
I'm old school & one of the first things I did to my '06 GT was to add white letters to the tires. Used a Paint pen from Autozone. Didn't last long & had to re do every few weeks. Took off after a while. Attached a pic showing the white lettered tires.

Current tire manufactures generally only offer white letter tires for trucks. Not so much for cars anymore.
Lol, I remember doing the exact same thing. My 2011 V6 came with 17" B.F.Goodrich Radial T/A Spec tires in P225/60 R17. Dealer/Ford mounted them with white letters on the inside. Noticed this while changing my oil.

2011 Black Coupe
V6/M6
3.31 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page