Can someone explain this crazy-ness (sway bar mounting related) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Can someone explain this crazy-ness (sway bar mounting related)

I was installing my Strano adjustable rear sway bar this afternoon when I discovered something that does not look right at all. When I removed the fasteners that hold the sway bar to the axle near the bottom shock mount, I pulled this out:

The fat part is the top and the mangled part is the bottom, the curve to the left points to the outside of the car. This particular piece is on the driver's side, but the passenger side has the exact same part but less mangled.

Here is a close up of the bottom part:

From everything else I can see on the internet, the sway bar should mount to a bracket that is an extension of the axle, right where the bottom of the shock sits.
Like this (THIS BOTTOM PHOTO IS NOT MY CAR):

In my case, each side has one of these 'brackets' that lays on the area near the shock mount and accepts the bolts and nuts that go through sway bar bushing bracket and secure the OEM sway bar. The area of my axles beneath the bottom of the shock does not have a second hole for the bolt to go through to the bottom hole of the sway bar bushing bracket. Instead, on both driver and passenger side, I have one of the fabbed brackets that lays on the axles and then bolts to the bushing bracket.

I bought the car with 2,000 miles on it.

Does anyone know why the previous owner would've modified this area as such. Surely this cant be OEM?

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

So, I think I figured it out.

The previous owner altered the stock sway bar mounts via a custom sway bar relocation (cut the bottom of the OEM mounts off). He then crudely fabricated some steel brackets to allow the stock sway bar to be bolted back in.

As such, my two options now are:

Go with the Whiteline Adjustable rear sway bar

or

Find a machine shop willing to custom fab a replacement bracket or two.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page