LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ford Racing Tune & Cold Air Intake

Hi all,

I already have the Ford Racing Tune along with the K&N Filter that comes with it, I'm very happy with this setup (I've had it for almost 2 years now), but I'm thinking of getting the Roush Cold Air Intake (Roush Mustang Cold Air Intake Kit 420131 (10-14 GT) - Free Shipping) mainly just for looks.

What I'd like is feedback from those of you with the same setup who did this mod, apparently this CAI from Roush doesn't need a tune, so it should not mess up the FRPP Tune, anyone can confirm that?

Even if my reason is mainly for looks, I've read everywhere that we can expect a gain of HP with just that CAI... Anyone noticed it?

Thanks for your responses.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

Last edited by Asphalt Cowboy; 06-23-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014
Apprentice

Roush CAI

I have this unit on my 2013 GT and it works like a charm, however don't know who indicated you would need a tune?
More Air same fuel = lean condition.
I would recommend getting a tuner; just my two cents...

Fred

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014
Apprentice
S197 Member

Can't say for the 5.0's, but I had a Roush CAI on my 06 Gt in the "no tune configuration" and instantly lost 2mpg. Tried going back & forth several times with the same result. No power increase that I could tell, just an increase in intake noise. No change in driving habits were made. Would have been ok had it just done nothing , as it came in the trunk of the car when I bought it & it looked cool. I ended up taking it off & selling it. Just FYI.

2013 GT premium, Deep impact blue, Recaros, Manual, 3.73, Gt500 mufflers, Barton shifter, Steeda 91 tune, Pilot Sport A/S 3

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks Fred, I never said someone indicated I would need a tune, I just said I have the Ford Racing Tune, and since it's done with K&N Filter they provide, I just want to make sure the Roush CAI won't mess up something... Any ideas on that?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Hey AC I am pretty sure I read on one of threads on here that there are a few members on here that have that setup. I was told that you can run the airaid with mvt installed and the frpp tune will also work. I asked frpp techinical support and of coarse they couldn't conform any other setup other than the K&N would work with there tune, (they are just cover there a$$). As long as the air inlet diameter does change you should be good to go. Hopefully someone will chime in.

2012 GT 5.0 Ingot Silver 6M,401A, RR sensing sys/security pkg.,19" painted alum wheels,GT coupe accessory Pkg 5, Ford Racing SVT Sport axle-back mufflers w/o resonators, MGW shifter, Airaid cai/Steeda 93 tune, Boss quad exhaust.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks man, waiting for more answers, and hopefully someone did it...

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The basic issue here is the diameter of the mass air flow metering tube section of the intake -- if it is the same as the stock or previous intake, then no recallibration (tune) is required ; if it is different, then a "tune" is needed to correct the "transfer function" for the mass air flow sensor so it gives correct readings for the bigger diameter (larger area) tube.

The Roush intake has the same tube diameter as the stock intake, so that's why it does not need a tune. The standard EFI system adjusts the amount of fuel for the amount of air that is coming in (as long as the MAF is callibrated correctly.)

I wouldn't expect to see any big gains with that intake, or any other for that matter. The stock 2010+ factory intake is pretty good, hard to improve upon that unless you are pushing some real big numbers and really need a freer flowing intake. I would not expect to see any decrease in fuel economy either; suspect something else was going on there; my 2010 with the Roush intake gets real good mileage.

But they do look cool under the hood and sound cool on heavy throttle!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Also from what I read is the roush cai doesn't mate up that well between the airbox and inlet snorkel you may want to check into that JMO. Just FYI

2012 GT 5.0 Ingot Silver 6M,401A, RR sensing sys/security pkg.,19" painted alum wheels,GT coupe accessory Pkg 5, Ford Racing SVT Sport axle-back mufflers w/o resonators, MGW shifter, Airaid cai/Steeda 93 tune, Boss quad exhaust.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks guys!

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

To the OP. If you are considering the Roush why don't you take a look at the AEM. When you see it you will know why I informed you The AEM is a closed box design keeping the hot air out and retains the factory air scoop. Great price and looks amazing when you pop the hood! I am very happy with mine and it makes this great whistling sound when under load.

2011 GT 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73 Performance White - Bama X4 V2 91P, On3 Performance OR/X, Res Delete, GT500 AB, Axle Exchange DS, AEM Intake, Full BMR Rear, Koni Yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, Steeda Tri-Ax, Many more...

1970 Mach1 351 Cleveland M Code Numbers Matching Gone 60 paint - 5 Speed Tremec, MSD Blaster, Flowmaster, Ram Air, Many more...

Previous - 2005 Mustang GT, 1995 F350, 2003 Ram 1500...
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Almost forgot here is a pic for ya!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0140.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	787.2 KB
ID:	354818  

2011 GT 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73 Performance White - Bama X4 V2 91P, On3 Performance OR/X, Res Delete, GT500 AB, Axle Exchange DS, AEM Intake, Full BMR Rear, Koni Yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, Steeda Tri-Ax, Many more...

1970 Mach1 351 Cleveland M Code Numbers Matching Gone 60 paint - 5 Speed Tremec, MSD Blaster, Flowmaster, Ram Air, Many more...

GT Member

Absolutely no reason to get a CAI unless it is a tune required one with a specific tune written for it.

CAI is basically useless without a corresponding tune, especially the no tune required ones.

The fact that they are called cold air intakes is very misleading. Instead they suck in more air, but that air is mainly heat infused from the surroundings of the engine bay. Car actually performs worse (if you dont have a tune to go with it). Regardless of the tune though, the car is still sucking in hot air, and you dont want that. You want cold, dense air. All the guys that have the 13 and 14 mustangs with track aps can check inlet air temperatures and all have reported higher inlet air temps with a CAI.

Yes it looks good under the hood, and it makes a cool noise, but you wont get much out of it besides that, especially on the no tune required ones.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_boy View Post
Absolutely no reason to get a CAI unless it is a tune required one with a specific tune written for it.

CAI is basically useless without a corresponding tune, especially the no tune required ones.

The fact that they are called cold air intakes is very misleading. Instead they suck in more air, but that air is mainly heat infused from the surroundings of the engine bay. Car actually performs worse (if you dont have a tune to go with it). Regardless of the tune though, the car is still sucking in hot air, and you dont want that. You want cold, dense air. All the guys that have the 13 and 14 mustangs with track aps can check inlet air temperatures and all have reported higher inlet air temps with a CAI.

Yes it looks good under the hood, and it makes a cool noise, but you wont get much out of it besides that, especially on the no tune required ones.
This is all true except for the fact that the AEM is the ONLY company to use a stock like box that sucks in more air from the scoop. No hot air enters anywhere in the system. The open element dry flow filter is enclosed within an air box not just a flimsy heat shield like 99% of the other companies...

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mustangsoa View Post
This is all true except for the fact that the AEM is the ONLY company to use a stock like box that sucks in more air from the scoop. No hot air enters anywhere in the system. The open element dry flow filter is enclosed within an air box not just a flimsy heat shield like 99% of the other companies...
The Roush is pretty good in this area also. It uses the duct aka "scoop" at the end of the grille, it seals off to the bottom of the hood (more or less) and the only other opening is at the front, below the edge of the hood.
What we really want is
1) cold air
AND
2) more of it
and the Roush design looks about as good as it can get

I wonder if anyone ever compared the area of the duct (aka scoop) in the grille, to the area of the MAF tube? Everyone always wants a bigger MAF tube, but everyone seems to be completely ignoring that all the air has to come in through that duct in the grille, so if the tube is bigger (in area) than the duct, then the duct becomes the limiting factor. Or, you have to pull hot air from the engine compartment and that defeats #1 above.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
The basic issue here is the diameter of the mass air flow metering tube section of the intake -- if it is the same as the stock or previous intake, then no recallibration (tune) is required ; if it is different, then a "tune" is needed to correct the "transfer function" for the mass air flow sensor so it gives correct readings for the bigger diameter (larger area) tube.

The Roush intake has the same tube diameter as the stock intake, so that's why it does not need a tune. The standard EFI system adjusts the amount of fuel for the amount of air that is coming in (as long as the MAF is callibrated correctly.)

I wouldn't expect to see any big gains with that intake, or any other for that matter. The stock 2010+ factory intake is pretty good, hard to improve upon that unless you are pushing some real big numbers and really need a freer flowing intake. I would not expect to see any decrease in fuel economy either; suspect something else was going on there; my 2010 with the Roush intake gets real good mileage.

But they do look cool under the hood and sound cool on heavy throttle!
Your FRPP tune will work if the statement above is true. The tube diameter is what matters when it comes to retuning.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page