HID kit install on FACTORY HID kit - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

HID kit install on FACTORY HID kit

Hello all,

I am very aware of the legality issues of HID upgrade kits. But, from what I've researched on the internet, it seem that installing an HID kit into a HALOGEN housing is what makes things illegal and dangerous.
Now, with that said, I have factory HIDs that obviously utilize a housing built for HID bulbs. Using that same factory HID housing, will upgrading to a 6000K (pure white NOT bluish/white light) kit still be illegal?

Thank for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Red V6 View Post
Hello all,

I am very aware of the legality issues of HID upgrade kits. But, from what I've researched on the internet, it seem that installing an HID kit into a HALOGEN housing is what makes things illegal and dangerous.
Now, with that said, I have factory HIDs that obviously utilize a housing built for HID bulbs. Using that same factory HID housing, will upgrading to a 6000K (pure white NOT bluish/white light) kit still be illegal?

Thank for the help!
As long as you get a quality bulb with proper alignment, you should be fine. Also 6000k is a bit blue/white. You might be better off with 5000K since you will get the white colour without sacrificing lumens as much as the 6000K.

2012 Premium V6 Mustang, Candy Red, Performance Package, Manual.

Mods: Steeda Sports, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mount, UMI LCA's, UMI Panhard Bar, Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The 4300K color of the factory HIDs is already as white as you're going to get. 5000K is still very white with just a hint of blue, 6000K is starting to get a definite blue tint, anything beyond that is just foolish. As sj90 pointed out, the higher the color temperature, the lower the actual usable light output. If you want best performance, stay with the factory 4300K. If you're just looking for appearance, do whatever you want.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page