2011 V6 mustang, general questions and concerns. New mustang owner. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Another vote for driving school. Understanding what happens at the limit and beyond - and more importantly how to handle that - will give you the confidence you need. My wife and I took one through BMW and we both still use the lessons to this day.

2014 V6 Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Toxi, you sound like an experienced driver... just apprehensive about RWD. You'll be fine. Take her out on the highway, those are built for faster than the posted limit so you won't have any problems. It's the twisty country roads that can get people in trouble from speeding. You will need to find a nice open parking lot in the rain. Force the car to slide around (turn wheel, punch gas). That way you'll understand how it feels and how it feels before it slips so you can prevent it (let up on the gas a bit). These cars actually handle better when you push them a bit but, don't do that until you feel better about it. Good luck and enjoy your car.

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
Toxi, you sound like an experienced driver... just apprehensive about RWD. You'll be fine. Take her out on the highway, those are built for faster than the posted limit so you won't have any problems. It's the twisty country roads that can get people in trouble from speeding. You will need to find a nice open parking lot in the rain. Force the car to slide around (turn wheel, punch gas). That way you'll understand how it feels and how it feels before it slips so you can prevent it (let up on the gas a bit). These cars actually handle better when you push them a bit but, don't do that until you feel better about it. Good luck and enjoy your car.
Exactly.

Pretty sure I hit around 95 on the test drive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've been driving more like I did my Mazda and I'm getting used to driving like i did. I think I might post an update the more time I get to drive and spend in this car. But regardless thanks for all the advice, it's really helped me out.
PONY Member

OP---do a couple of autocrosses. You won't get much past 50 mph, at best, you'll be in a controlled environment, and it's cheap. You won't be running it for the best time per se, but to get a better idea of how the car responds to abrupt turning and braking. In most case, the worst consequence of spinning out is driving over a few cones.

Basically:
-In normal, dry conditions you should be able to take any turn you'll run into on a road within at least 10 mph of the speed limit and never even tempt the stability control to activate
-In wet conditions, the same generally applies, but will be greatly dependent on the condition/quality of your tires
-In snowy conditions you need to be very careful--as you would in any car. The mustang isn't the best in snow, so it's best to take your time and go slow. You will best served to get some dedicated snow tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page