2011 V6 mustang, general questions and concerns. New mustang owner. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2011 V6 mustang, general questions and concerns. New mustang owner.

Hello all, I'm a new owner of a 2011 v6 premium used mustang with 60k miles on it. The car I drove before this one was a Mazda 3 so it's quite different adjusting to this one a bit. I've been driving for three years now, from SUVs,vans, and my Mazda of course, but this has probably been the fastest vehicle I've ever been in.

I'm taking it slow at the moment, and the fastest I've ever gotten it was about 40 mph due to the fact that I've only driven in the city, but the majority of my concern is due to the RWD and stories of people fish tailing/over steering. I'm still getting a feel for this car, but I feel that if I get on the highway going 60 or 70 and I do a highway curve, it'll oversteer and I'll lose control. Or if I switch lanes at that speed that I'll fishtail.

I know to take corners slow and not hammer down the pedal as I've seen many people in videos do. This is my first RWD and the majority of concern is as I mentioned the fish tailing/oversteering

If I could get some insight or tips, maybe relieve my anxiety, that would help tremendously. I've been reading a lot through this forum and these are some of the general questions that come to my mind. Otherwise any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxi View Post
Hello all, I'm a new owner of a 2011 v6 premium used mustang with 60k miles on it. The car I drove before this one was a Mazda 3 so it's quite different adjusting to this one a bit. I've been driving for three years now, from SUVs,vans, and my Mazda of course, but this has probably been the fastest vehicle I've ever been in.

I'm taking it slow at the moment, and the fastest I've ever gotten it was about 40 mph due to the fact that I've only driven in the city, but the majority of my concern is due to the RWD and stories of people fish tailing/over steering. I'm still getting a feel for this car, but I feel that if I get on the highway going 60 or 70 and I do a highway curve, it'll oversteer and I'll lose control. Or if I switch lanes at that speed that I'll fishtail.

I know to take corners slow and not hammer down the pedal as I've seen many people in videos do. This is my first RWD and the majority of concern is as I mentioned the fish tailing/oversteering

If I could get some insight or tips, maybe relieve my anxiety, that would help tremendously. I've been reading a lot through this forum and these are some of the general questions that come to my mind. Otherwise any help is greatly appreciated.
This is an automatic?

While your car is fast its not some uncontrollable monster. Just drive like you normally drive and dont stomp the gas in the middle of a turn and you wont need to worry about the rear end coming loose. Also, be a lot more careful when its wet on the ground, much more so than you needed to be in your Mazda.

Otherwise, get out there an get going faster than 40mph. No one should own a Mustang for more than 10 minutes and not have gone faster than 40mph.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
People have been driving RWD cars for over 100 years with no problems. Don't worry the AdvanceTrac system will take care of you.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
MACH I Member

Combine all of the electronic nannies with the fact that you are making less than 60 ft/lbs of torque below 2000 rpm and you shouldn't worry too much about fishtailing around corners in DRY conditions.

I drove my V6 and now my GT year round in rain, snow and ice. Just remember to take it easy with the throttle while turning and you will be okay.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
Apprentice

Drive like a grandma through turns and you'll be fine. Watch out for water on a hot day. That **** can be really slick.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
This is an automatic?

While your car is fast its not some uncontrollable monster. Just drive like you normally drive and dont stomp the gas in the middle of a turn and you wont need to worry about the rear end coming loose. Also, be a lot more careful when its wet on the ground, much more so than you needed to be in your Mazda.

Otherwise, get out there an get going faster than 40mph. No one should own a Mustang for more than 10 minutes and not have gone faster than 40mph.
Yes the car as an automatic, and I guess all The stories and things I've been hearing have been getting to me, cause I also do feel like I'm overreacting a bit. But I really appreciate the feedback! I'll try to get on the highway soon and start hitting the gas.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

If there are any more tips or experiences with your first time driving a mustang, id gladly read them.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
I went less that 40 mph for the one hour drive home due to traffic after picking up my new GT.

To the OP, as others said, just drive normally and you won't even notice what wheels are powering it. If you plan on driving it in the winter, I strongly recommend a good set of snow tires. I had a 2000 V6 years ago and the tires made a world of difference.

2014 Ingot Silver GT 5.0 w/M6
GT500 Axlebacks
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF dude View Post
I went less that 40 mph for the one hour drive home due to traffic after picking up my new GT.

To the OP, as others said, just drive normally and you won't even notice what wheels are powering it. If you plan on driving it in the winter, I strongly recommend a good set of snow tires. I had a 2000 V6 years ago and the tires made a world of difference.
Thanks, I've had bad experience with snow, i know better to slow down and take precaution, other than that I've been trying to drive it like i did my Mazda, while taking slow turns (10-15mph) and so far things have been pretty great so far, pretty enjoyable. ill really have to get it in the highway soon.

Is it alright driving at high speeds while going around curves on the highway or should i slow down? I just don't want to feel like ill lose control if i pull the steering wheel to much to make the curve.
PONY Member

You will have no problems as long as you drive slow in the turns at first. Next time it rains go into a big empty parking lot, punch it and try to make the car oversteer. You won't need to be scared if there is nothing to hit and you will understand the car a lot better. You will be able to see how the car feels when you've exceeded it's limits. Next turn off the traction controll and do the same. "Losing Control" in a safe environment will be excellent training. Don't let people fool you, you're new car has a lot of power and can get you in trouble. You can crash a Mazda 3 if you get carried away as well. Congrats, and don't worry. Just be carefull. This is coming from a guy who is an Excellent front wheel driver and a mediocre rear wheel driver, I'm still learning my Mustang.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

How reliable is the advancetract / Traction control in case of a situation where you quickly move out of the way of an obstacle?
PONY Member

I would not worry anymore about abrupt turning in the Mustang as I would any FWD car as long as you are not accelerating. The Mustang, as is the case for most street cars, is setup to predominately understeer. Throttle application is what separates the FWD and RWD cars in this situation. I have lost the rear only once in my life and it was in a FWD car. I overcooked a corner and lifted off the throttle and the rear stepped out on me. A novice mistake for sure. Any car can spin out, it is foolishness with the throttle that will bite you in a RWD car.

I find the advancetrac system to be quite good. It is not a magic potion and physics will prevail if you really mess up, but it will save your butt when you make minor mistakes. Just leave it on and you will feel it when it kicks in. Learn from those instances when it does and pay attention to what you did wrong.

2013 Red Candy Metallic GT Premium Coupe
Black Leather, 6MT, Comfort Package, Brembo Package, 3.55 Axle
Borla Touring axle back, Suntec CXP 45% window tint, Eibach Pro-Kit, Steeda Strut Mounts, Rear Upper Control Arm and Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets, Energy Suspension Shifter Bushing
PONY Member

I have a 2012 Mustang V6 AND a 2004 Mazda 3. You should stop worrying and just drive like you would with your Mazda 3. Unless you are driving the Mustang like a jerk, you have more chance to encounter UNDERsteer than oversteer. Pushed too fast in a corner, you will feel the front end slide out as a warning. Just slow down by lifting your foot of the throttle a bit and you will get control back. If you hit the throttle too hard coming off a corner, the onboard nannies should help you out to keep the car on the road.

I have experienced both oversteer and understeer on track and never lost control. Worst i did on track was toasting my front brakes with repeated hard braking.... but really hard braking.

if you really want to learn how your car behaves, you should take an advanced driving class using your own car. May cost you a few hundred dollars, but it will be worth it. I have learned a lot about my Mustang driving it on a road course above the legal speed limit, so now i know how it reacts if pushed.

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang concept
Dont worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxi View Post

Its a v6 your fine

2014 mustang 5.0, side louver, fp8 package, recaro race seats
My mods: BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets, koni yellow adjustable struts, steeda heavy duty mounts, steeda panhard bar, steeda sport springs, Flow master outlaw cat backs, air raid synthamax cold air intake, SCT x4 tuner with Bama tunes, black emblems, black GT fuel door, illuminating door sills, raxiom smoked fog lights, 3.73 gears, JLT oil separator, GT 500 spoiler, MMD hood struts...
SHELBY GT 350 Member

to driving school. These stangs handle rather well and most of the advise has been great. My only correction will be I'll scare you a bit by saying "people have crashing driving rear wheel drive cars for 100 years" but unless you do something stupid you'll be fine. Take it out and gradually work your way up by exploring what the car does. This is better done if possible in an area where there are few others & obsticles abd w/o passengers. congrats/enjoy and post pics

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page