After one month of ownership, a few questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

After one month of ownership, a few questions

Having had my '14 GT Premium for one month, I have a few questions.

- The auto-dimming mirror doesn't work. Is there a way to turn it on?
- What is that grill between the map lights for?
- The Blutooth was working fine with my phone and yesterday it stopped working;
it doesn't recognize any phones. I'm somewhat cyber-challenged so maybe I'm doing something wrong.
-What are the blanks for next to the HAV buttons?
-Why does the GT have a two piece driveshaft? I have read that the two piece design is responsible for the clunking many of us experience when shifting. Has anyone replaced it with a one-piece driveshaft?
-Has anyone used Motorcraft Synthetic Transmission fluid? A mechanic at the local dealership said that would help smooth out the shifting and the clunking.

I cannot believe how much I love this car. I look for any excuse to drive it, first thing in the morning I open the garage door and look at it, and I'm constantly fussing over it. At this point I am perfectly happy with the power the engine makes so I probably won't be adding any mods to it. Probably.
The biggest surprise for me has been how well the car handles; awesome!

Thank you for any replies to my questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

the grill is the i/r sensor for the alarm. roll down your windows and alarm your car wait one minute or so for the alarm to fully arm and reach in the open window. This is a fun test to do if you are a minority in a public space (not)

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
PONY Member

From what I've heard the one piece drive shaft should eliminate a portion if the clunk but from what I understand a lot of that noise and drivetrain vibration comes from the dual mass fly wheel in the tranny.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan105 View Post
Having had my '14 GT Premium for one month, I have a few questions.

The biggest surprise for me has been how well the car handles; awesome!
you must have 19 inch wheels and 255's.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The HAV blanks are for the Heated Seats..... I believe thats what you are describing.
As far as the mirror go's.... it works so sesmlessly I didn't realize until I had the sun at my back that it was doing it's job. Maybe try a bright flashlight and test it.

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods

Last edited by SquidBillyPaul; 06-11-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added mirror comment
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBillyPaul View Post
The HAV blanks are for the Heated Seats..... I believe thats what you are describing.
As far as the mirror go's.... it works so sesmlessly I didn't realize until I had the sun at my back that it was doing it's job. Maybe try a bright flashlight and test it.
The blanks I mentioned are on either side of the HAV pictograph, on the bottom row.
Actually, I just noticed there are also blanks under the heated seat switches.

Fatopotomus;
"you must have 19 inch wheels and 255's."

My GT Premium has whatever stock wheels and tires it cames with; 18x9 ?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan105 View Post
The blanks I mentioned are on either side of the HAV pictograph, on the bottom row.
Actually, I just noticed there are also blanks under the heated seat switches.

Fatopotomus;
"you must have 19 inch wheels and 255's."

My GT Premium has whatever stock wheels and tires it cames with; 18x9 ?
Not sure... are you talking about the two BIG blanks next to the heated seat buttons?
If you are.... they are for adjusting the drv/pass temp. Auto cimate control
I think we have different layouts. I have Nav, Comfort and Electronic pkg.
You can find a pic in owners manual.

Sugestion: Do what I did. Put owners manual in your favorite bathroom! You'll be suprised the things you can learn.

Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
BOSS Member

"Has anyone used Motorcraft Synthetic Transmission fluid? A mechanic at the local dealership said that would help smooth out the shifting and the clunking."

That's what the factory puts in it............................

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The owner's manual is a handy reference. You will find a layout of all the HVAC controls on page 131 for the manual climate controls and on page 133 for the dual zone automatic climate controls. In both cases, the blanks below the heated seat switches are just blanks - no combination of factory equipment uses them for anything. If you don't have heated seats then the upper blanks between the fan and temp knobs on the manual system or at the outer edge of the dual zone system are where the heated seat switches would be.

If you don't have an owner's manual, you can download it here: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../14musom1e.pdf

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thank you for the replies.
The picture on page 118 of the owner's manual is what my HAV controls look like; I don't have the Electronics Package. The blanks to which I was referring are the ones under the rear defroster and AC buttons, and the ones under the heated seats buttons. I thought maybe they were for something I didn't order but apparently not.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
the grill is the i/r sensor for the alarm. roll down your windows and alarm your car wait one minute or so for the alarm to fully arm and reach in the open window. This is a fun test to do if you are a minority in a public space (not)
Hmmm..... I left my window down and armed the alarm with key. Waited like 2 to 3 minutes thrn stuck my arm in the car and waved it aroud. Nothing happend! was on my way to work and didn't have enough time to play with it any further. Wonder why it did't work!?! Read thriugh owners manual and it said the same thing you mentioned. Guess I'll mess with it later this afternoon.
Any suggestions?

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The interior motion sensor only comes with the optional security system (on a '14 that would be option 43S Reverse Sensing and Security Package).

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Apprentice

Just wait until some items go behind the front compartment's hinged lid. Better get some long tweezers.
Also the rear-view mirror dim is weaksauce and I find myself just lowering the mirror down.
Just nitpicking though as the car is just fantastic! Enjoy!

1993 Reef Blue Notch 5.0, flowmaster three chamber cat backs, K+N air, 3.73, cobra clutch, 158k and still kicking. 2014 Mustang GT prem., Black, Brembo, manual, 3.73 gear, fog-light tint, new GT floormats, led license plate bulbs, Jlt oil separator, K&N drop-in air filter, SickSpeed black shifter knob with red shift pattern, GT 500 axle backs, locking gas cap, painted MMD quarter window covers, Roush chin splitter, red Lethal Performance windshield banner, SHR black fuel door.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

If I remember the instructions with the alarm (installed mine myself) when you use the key it shuts off the i/r and tilt sensors....try again with arming with fob.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

On mine the fob is part of the key. Should have given a better description. Used transmitter (not actual key) to arm.
The owners manual didn't describe two different alarm systems but I only have the one that comes standard. I do not have the option described above....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page