Ford Racing Boss 302 Transmission Cooler Air Scoop - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ford Racing Boss 302 Transmission Cooler Air Scoop

Is this thing worth it? I would think normally there is not much air going under the car even with the stock splitter in front, so what's the use? Also to those who have installed one, are there bottoming out problems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

What are we looking at??? Pictures???

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
What are we looking at??? Pictures???
this is the scoop: http://s7d4.scene7.com/s7viewers/dht...ges/spacer.gif

'11 GT Premium , kona blue stick, 3:55's, Brembo , Roush axle-backs, etc. + '95 rio red GTS

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Sorry,Still no pictures on that link,blank page!!!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
GT Member

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post
Is this thing worth it? I would think normally there is not much air going under the car even with the stock splitter in front, so what's the use? Also to those who have installed one, are there bottoming out problems?
Air is a fluid. Yes there is still lots of air underneath the car, heck there is lots of air under an F1 which is why they design the underside of the car to take advantage of the movement of this air.

The splitter will do nothing to prevent air from going under the car. If anything it acts more like an aerodynamic surface to help air remain laminar (as opposed to burbling) which reduces drag.

This air scoop is a rather crude method of grabbing the air from under the car and passing more of it along the cooling fins of the radiator and is only as efficient as the velocity of the air and outside air temperature.

I think an air to oil transmission cooler would be a better solution, but I don't know if anyone makes one for a manual. If not the scoop is better than nothing but I'd prefer one shaped a little more like a NACA duct.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
Are you doing a lot of drag racing with your car? Like, lots of hard road course type racing or driving? If not then it's not going to be worth your time, money or loss of ground clearance.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
Apprentice

Or you could get the one from Shelby. Much wider and shaped to channel the air better. I've been thinking of doing this. The only problem is I have a Hotchkis K member brace in the same location utilizing the same attachment points.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5M-5025-UMT-2.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	355401  

2013 GT Track Pack, Airaid CAI, BBK Throttle Body, Magnaflow Competition Catbacks, Eibach Pro Street S, Whiteline Watts Link, Trucarbon Spoiler, Ford Racing Short Shifter, Hotchkis Sub Frame and K Member Brace, Boss Brake Cooling Ducts, Stop Tech Slotted Rotors, Hawk Race Pads, Shelby Rear Strut Tower Brace, Steeda X Brace, Rear Seat Delete, Stillen Splitter, BAMA Tune.
2012 V6
2006 V6
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
GT Member

It was worth $100 to me, after Ford had to redo the build my MT82. No clearance issues.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The Shelby pan seems the way to go, as it's only $10 more than the Ford one. Plus it comes in red to match my car. It's wider and has a small V-cut at the back to get it closer to the tranny. Plus it has the Shelby logo laser cut in the bottom, this provides an exit vent for the air to flow.

Only thing though is bottom these things out on a speed bump, and it will get pretty mangled, although you could hammer it back in shape.
GT Member

First time I heard of those scoops. The Shelby one looks much cooler. I think you would be able to scoop snow also and pack it in on the bottom of your transmission in the winter.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Apprentice

Saw them up and close at Carlisle All Fords. I like the Shelby one a little better. Didn't have the extra $$ to buy one while there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page