Review of my V6 exhaust setup: BBK shorties, x-pipe, Force II - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Review of my V6 exhaust setup: BBK shorties and x-pipe, Force II

When I was selecting my exhaust combo I couldn't find reviews of the combo I wanted so I thought I'd give a review of what I have. My car is a daily driver so I wanted something that wasn't too obnoxious so I selected BBK shorties, BBK x-pipe and Flowmaster Force II axle back.

I installed the x-pipe and axle back at the same time so I can't comment on just the mufflers (wish I had done one at a time for comparison purposes). I was extremely pleased with the sound at start-up and idle. Sounded V8ish. However, the sound got very raspy at higher RPMs. I'm not sure if the raspiness was a result of the V6, x-pipe or the mufflers since I installed both at the same time. The raspiness was so bad that I would have eventually tried the stock h-pipe, except I still had to install my headers.

After the shorty headers were installed things improved greatly. There is still a bit of raspiness at higher RPMs (again, could be the V6, x-pipe or mufflers) but I don't feel the need to change anything. The sound got much deeper and aggressive but not so loud at cruise that it bugs me.

After going back and listening to a bunch of exhaust clips I think the Force IIs are some of the least aggresive axle backs available. Comparing my car to the clips I can pick up on sound nuances that I didn't catch before. If you're looking for the absolute deepest sound available then you'll probably be disappointed with the Force II, but nonetheless they are still an improvement over stock.

2008 Bullitt|Roush M90 w/2.57 pulley & CAI; 90mm MAF; Steeda-UCA, LCAs, Ultralites, links, mounts; MM CC plates; Bilsteins; GT500 FCAs; Brembos; Roush shifter; GT500KR axle back; etc
1969 Coupe Restomod-never complete!
2008 Power Wheels Bullitt Clone
Mustangs from the past: 66 coupe, 69 Coupe, 69 Grande, 2001 Bullitt, 2011 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
The raspiness is from the X-pipe and it being a V6...resonators may help...

Also, we need a video, please

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
Apprentice

It's the x-pipe thats causing the rasp. Anytime you change out the midpipe you will get some rasp, which is because of the V6 engine. Try some reasonators to see if they will eliminate it.

Some people love it, some hate it. Im personally not a huge fan of rasp but I think it does make it sound very aggresive/race carish.

2011 V6 6MT, Kona Blue, Premium, heated Saddle leather, 3.31, HID
***Procharged***
Mods: AIRAID CAI, Bama, Magnaflow Street CB, BBK S. Headers, BBK Catted X-Pipe, BBK 73TB, Strut Tower Brace, SR Springs 1.5, Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts, Bumpsteer Kit, Panhard Bar, LCAs, PowerStop Brake Kit, Black MGP Caliper Covers, GT500 Rear Diffuser, Roush Side Splitters, Stillen Front Chin, 30% Tint, LEDs, Black Super Snake Stripes, Polk/Alpine, Audio Control LC7i, RF 10" Sub, 19" Staggered AMRs

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah, I figured the x-pipe would result in some rasp but thankfully the headers help eliminate some. I would not be happy without the headers. If I had to do it again I'd search for a high flow h-pipe, but I also knew the BBK stuff would fit with no problems. I still wish I had a comparison of the mufflers with the stock mid-pipe just to see how much of the rasp is due to the x-pipe vs being a V6. It'll be a few days before I can get an audio clip done but I'll add that to my list for next week.

2008 Bullitt|Roush M90 w/2.57 pulley & CAI; 90mm MAF; Steeda-UCA, LCAs, Ultralites, links, mounts; MM CC plates; Bilsteins; GT500 FCAs; Brembos; Roush shifter; GT500KR axle back; etc
1969 Coupe Restomod-never complete!
2008 Power Wheels Bullitt Clone
Mustangs from the past: 66 coupe, 69 Coupe, 69 Grande, 2001 Bullitt, 2011 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page