Installed the BOSS side pipes today...Got quieter? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Installed the BOSS side pipes today...Got quieter?

I am already running the Flowmaster Outlaws on the Mustang, nice deep loud growl from it. Installed the BOSS side exhaust pipes today, no baffle, wide open. Now the exhaust is overall more quiet than the exhaust was with just the Outlaws.

The overall tone is deeper now, which I like, drone is less at highway speeds overall, but heck at times I can barely hear the exhaust now. Who would have thought, and here I was concerned that with the open BOSS side pipes it would be TOO loud.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
PONY Member

By adding additional exhaust outlets (Boss side exhaust) to your system...less pressure going out to the axle backs as compared to before since the exhaust flow is shared/diverted...causing the lower volume?

Last edited by magnido45; 06-12-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: mistype
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

I agree, lower volume of air traveling through the mufflers, but one would think that an open exhaust would be louder than a muffled exhaust, apparently not in this case. I do like the less drone at highway speeds, and the deeper growl it has. Just going to take some getting use to it overall being quieter than it was before. The Mustang is not quite as obnoxious as it was before. Just feels like it has lost a little attitude it had before.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
Sean Reilly

Agree with above......My buddy wound up putting the Baffle Disc back in (After enlarging the disc hole diameter) and he now has one of the best sounding GT's that I have heard......BTW, he has the Borla Stingers out back......

Sean.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

It definitely had a very deep growl to it now, which I do like. I think it is just the getting use to it being quiet a fair bit as well, more so during idle and light throttle. I imagine it will grow on me, enjoying the lack of drone that was there, but having the deep base exhaust went I get on the throttle. It is surprising how deep is is now, and it was pretty deep before.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
They are like music to my ears. Every time I hit the gas pedal I just smile and that nice rumble on decel is amazing.

2012 GT 5.0 Ingot Silver 6M,401A, RR sensing sys/security pkg.,19" painted alum wheels,GT coupe accessory Pkg 5, Ford Racing SVT Sport axle-back mufflers w/o resonators, MGW shifter, Airaid cai/Steeda 93 tune, Boss quad exhaust.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragon View Post
I am already running the Flowmaster Outlaws on the Mustang, nice deep loud growl from it. Installed the BOSS side exhaust pipes today, no baffle, wide open. Now the exhaust is overall more quiet than the exhaust was with just the Outlaws.

The overall tone is deeper now, which I like, drone is less at highway speeds overall, but heck at times I can barely hear the exhaust now. Who would have thought, and here I was concerned that with the open BOSS side pipes it would be TOO loud.

Is it quieter because of the extra exhaust leaks from all the bullet holes? Installed the BOSS side pipes today...Got quieter?-nelson.jpg

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
Is it quieter because of the extra exhaust leaks from all the bullet holes? Attachment 355761
Ha. Ha. Haaaaaaaa. Your just jealous that my mustang sounds better...

I think it still has a fair bit of the sound externally, just quieter on the inside now.

Last edited by laughingdragon; 06-13-2014 at 08:11 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
Sean Reilly

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
Is it quieter because of the extra exhaust leaks from all the bullet holes? Attachment 355761
ROTFLMAO!!.......

Thanks for the Laugh Chris! .......It was MUCH NEEDED today Bro!

Sean.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
ROTFLMAO!!.......

Thanks for the Laugh Chris! .......It was MUCH NEEDED today Bro!

Sean.
Sean, don't encourage him

Sean Reilly

Quote:
Sean, don't encourage him
Sorry John, but the Staff has to be able to laugh too!.......

Sean.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
Sorry John, but the Staff has to be able to laugh too!.......

Sean.

Then look at my baby pictures, they will definitely make you laugh. Just don't encourage Chris.

PONY Member

Quote:
Ha. Ha. Haaaaaaaa. Your just jealous that my mustang sounds better...

Yep always been interested in the side exhaust.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Have you had someone drive it while you stand on the side of the road to hear it? It might not be as quiet as you think. Congrats on the pipes. I've heard nothing but good about them.........until now. Lol

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
Have you had someone drive it while you stand on the side of the road to hear it? It might not be as quiet as you think. Congrats on the pipes. I've heard nothing but good about them.........until now. Lol

Ummmm, yeah, NO. No one else drives the car. after a long cruise last night, I know there is still a good bit of volume outside the car, I was driving with the window down, so could hear it pretty well. Just the initial "shock" so to speak of the exhaust being noticeably quieter in the cabin of the car surprised me. Definitely quieter inside, but some good volume outside, although, at idle, I do believe it actually is more quiet now than before. The change is quickly growing on me. Especially ater last night and the considerably less drone at highway speeds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page