Can someone explain to me the whole GT500 strut mount upgrade? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Can someone explain to me the whole GT500 strut mount upgrade?

Ok from what I understand, by doing this upgrade you can use 05-09 or so shocks and struts, and people are doing this because they are cheaper and better then the mounts we have on our 2011+ cars??? Is that right?

Im all about saving cash and if helps with handling im all for it too, but I just wanted to get my ducks in a row before I started planning on dropping my car. I was planning on going with the Eibach pro kit, BMR panhard bar, camber bolts, and probably some kind of Koni shocks and struts.

I also had a question about wheel spin. If I drop the car, and it shouldnt be too extreme with the pro kit, am I going to have alot of increased wheel spin? I know Ford engineered our cars to launch pretty well the way they sit stock, I dont want to completely screw up that geometry. Im a total newb with suspension mods. The most ive really ever done was throw a set of H&R springs on my Mach 1 just to lower it for looks.
So if someone could school me on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
GT Member

When you lower your car, you will want to get the lower control arm relocation brackets, it will correct the control arm angle, and keep you from spinning due to the change in that angle from when you lower it. My brackets actually increased the angle a bit in a positive direction, and has helped with traction and planting the tires better. Looks like we live pretty close, so if you wanted to get together sometime let me know, easier to go over in person than just in writing.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Cool man, thanks. I might have to take you up on that.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
GT Member

NP. just PM me with contact info if/when you want to.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
Apprentice

The GT500 mounts are a lot sturdier than the standard mounts. They only work 05-10 struts. It's a cheaper way to go and a lot of people don't want to buy caster/camber plates. There only $100 and work great. Thats about the only reason someone would choose to go this route, to save money. I did and I'm very pleased!

2014 Saleen Mustang White Label 14-013: Vortech V3 supercharger, Lund Tuned, ID1000's, NGK iridium plugs, Airaid CAI, BMR upper control arm and mount, BMR lower control arms w/ relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar and support brace, koni sport struts/shocks w/ GT500 strut mount, GT500 Brembo brake upgrade, CS fog lights, Stillen chin spoiler, Barton Shifter and two post bracket, Plasti-Dipped hood vents, and various Saleen parts and accessories.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
GT Member

Even if you get caster camber plates I believe you still need to use the rubber isolators on your existing strut mounts or from the GT500 Strut Mounts. At least that was the case with the Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates.

First photo shows the GT500 Upper Mount and the thick rubber isolator. 2nd photo shows the 2 GT500 Upper Mounts. 3rd photo shows the wimpy stock upper mount and the 4th photo was the new strut assembly with rubber isolator from GT500 upper mount and the caster camber plates.

If your going to lower your car I recommend the GT500 upper mount rubber isolators and using caster camber plates. If you can get a hold of some used GT500 upper mounts you will save yourself some money because you only use the rubber isolator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09880.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	355586   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09881.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	484.9 KB
ID:	355594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09893.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	741.9 KB
ID:	355602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09894.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	495.8 KB
ID:	355610  

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I believe that the rubber top mounts are the same on the GT500 mounts as they are on the stock mounts. It is the rest of the mount that is different. If you go with caster camber plates, and I recommend that you do, you can use the rubber mount from your stock mounts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
GT Member

I am pretty sure the rubber mounts are not the same. Sorry I don't have a better picture right now at work. I will try to locate my box with the old mounts in them and take a better photo for comparison.

The following from some emails FYI

If you have the 11-14 strut mounts you MUST use the Mm5CC-6. The Mm5CC-6 can use BOTH the 11-14 struts AND the 05-11 struts.

If you have the 05-10 strut mount (or the GT500 strut mount) you MUST use the Mm5CC-1. The Mm5CC-1 can ONLY use the 05-10 struts.

If you are careful, then you will have no problem with the ball bearings.

They do USUALY come apart. Just put a bunch of paper towels down over a work bench, be careful, and you will be fine. It doesn’t hurt it if it comes apart. It snaps back together very easily.

Paper towels are MUCH CHEAPER(for using OEM mounts) than a new set of GT500 upper strut mounts. The only part you would re-use, if you chose to get the GT500 mounts, is the rubber spring isolators.

Thanks,

Mike Croutcher

Tech Support Manager/Lead Test Driver

Maximum Motorsports

805 544 8748

[email protected]

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014
PONY Member

If you install the GT500 mounts with the arrows pointed in you won't need camber bolts and of course CC plates.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ok the guys at AM tell me that I dont need the GT500 mounts with the springs and Koni SRT shocks and struts im going to get. Ive read on a couple of different forums, some people are for them, some people against. Sometimes it helps if theres a clunky front end, etc.. What do you guys think. Should I spring for the extra $105 and get them. I was going to go with the Eibach Pro kit, Koni SRT shocks and struts, camber bolts, BMR panhard bar, and possibly these. Do I need them?

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have Roush DUB springs (same as Eibach pro) and just had STR.Ts installed. I did not need caster camber plates, camber bolts, LCA relo brackets, or panhard bar. And the Konis use the factory strut mounts

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

MCA2011 - thanks for the info. How do you like the ride quality with the springs and the Koni SRT.T's?

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

GT Member

Just make sure that you get the right model of struts for the mounts you intend on using. 05-10 style struts use the GT500 upper mounts. 11-14 style struts can use the stock mounts. I personally would use the GT500 upper mounts (They are more Heavy Duty) and 05-10 struts because I like to take my vehicle to it's limits sometimes. But in the end it is up to you.

After dropping the car down you may want to fix the LCA angle with the BMR Relocation brackets so you eliminate wheel hop and gain traction. While your doing that you might as well toss down 90 dollars for the poly LCA's. And I almost forgot that you need to adjust your pinion angle with an adjustable UCA. Sorry but it adds up if you do it correctly. Rear jounce stops can be sawed in half.

GT Member

Some Pics Jounce Stop cut, Extended ball joints from BMR, and Steeda BumpSteer Kit, BMR UCA, and BMR Relocation Brackets and BMR LCA's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09929.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	357409   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09898.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	357417   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01608 Installed View.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	357425   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02402.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	603.0 KB
ID:	357433  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page