For those considering an oil catch can... - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
I had the same attitude once with my old Ford Ranger. One expensive clean up later at about 85k miles was the remedy, long after warranty expired. If i can go 150 - 200k miles without needing another expensive clean up, then the can will be well worth the initial cost & minor maintenance.

This discussion is never ending because the sludging process takes many 10's of thousands of miles. So there are doubters. There were a lot of doubters in the 40 & 50s that smoking caused cancer too, because lung cancer often took decades to develop......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well said. Guys like me who plan on keeping their cars for as long as possible, also want to keep them in as good a shape, as possible.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I don't have a catch can yet, but I will definitely end up with one or at least some breathers. I was shocked at the amount of oil that clearly goes into my intake, when I pulled both of them off to replace them with a ported set. That said, the car runs mighty strong without them, but sooner or later that oil will catch up to me, and I'd like to try to remedy the condition as much as possible. Maybe even a can of Seafoam spray.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
I doubt any catch can will ever be 100% effective at capturing all the oil vapor. A larger can & screen element might perform better, but every can will get to a saturation point after x amount of hours of operation.

I still applaud those who are working on an improved design.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I agree that it's doubtful that any can be made to be 100% effective but some work better than others. I know that the other brand of can that I usually have on the car doesn't leave oil like I show in the above pics. It just shows a very small trace but nothing obvious.

I had an opportunity to test one of UPR's new diffusers on a fairly long vacation trip and is why I switched out cans.

My fiancée still runs a UPR can on her 07GT and she doesn't want to buy another can so I'm hoping UPR's continued improvements will benefit her as well.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
To each their own. I guess . The factory does their best to get a car ready for normal useage, at minimum cost. But there is always room for improvement. Especially with production vehicles.
+++Always room for improvement over production standards, imho.

1993 Reef Blue Notch 5.0, flowmaster three chamber cat backs, K+N air, 3.73, cobra clutch, 158k and still kicking. 2014 Mustang GT prem., Black, Brembo, manual, 3.73 gear, fog-light tint, new GT floormats, led license plate bulbs, Jlt oil separator, K&N drop-in air filter, SickSpeed black shifter knob with red shift pattern, GT 500 axle backs, locking gas cap, painted MMD quarter window covers, Roush chin splitter, red Lethal Performance windshield banner, SHR black fuel door.
Apprentice

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that oil in the intake is lowering your effective octane rating for the air / fuel mixture. That is the main reason to run a catch can or breather.

This is not my writeup, but Jimmy did a great job here. I have a system identical to this.

(Boss Ch. 11) Underhood mods « jimmypribble.com/blog

Works well as you can see, LOL.

2012 Race Red Boss 302 #3041
2012 Race Red Boss 302 #733 TOTALED at Spring Mtn
1999 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 6-Speed
1964 Falcon Convert. 289 4-Speed
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boss View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that oil in the intake is lowering your effective octane rating for the air / fuel mixture. That is the main reason to run a catch can or breather.

This is not my writeup, but Jimmy did a great job here. I have a system identical to this.

(Boss Ch. 11) Underhood mods « jimmypribble.com/blog

Works well as you can see, LOL.

You are so right. Keeping oil out of the combustion chamber is a step in the right direction with regards to fuel octane matters .And keeping ANY oil, out of the combustion chamber is well worth it, in my old school, what do I know, opinion.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page