Springs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Springs

Not sure if I want to lower my car just yet. But I want to know if the lowering springs are stiffer than stock. I already have the Koni yellows and the BMR UCA and bracket plus the BMR LCAs. The Konis took the bouncy feeling out of the car but I don't want to the ride to get harsher.

2011 Mustang GT, A6,Vortech by Beefcake, Beefcake Torque Booster, Circle D 2C, P305/35R18 M/T Street Radial IIs, Ford FRPP Springs, BMR Panhard Bar, BMR UCA and LCAs, DSS Shaft, Koni yellows, Lethal OR-H and OAP, Flowmaster Hushpowers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
GT Member

Most lowering springs are going to be stiffer, BUT, they are not all the same. You will have to check the spring rate on the different springs you consider. I have the Hotochkis springs, only slightly stiffer than stock, and rated to be able to be used with stock shocks and struts. Others are stiffer. The other thing to keep in mind, you can go with stiffer springs but still not have a harsher ride. Depends on what you us for dampening, aka struts/shocks or if you went to coil overs. (although, sounds like coil overs are not in the consideration). There are people, and I am sure some will eventually chime in, running noticeably stiffer springs but combined with upgraded struts and shocks that can handle them, so not a stiffer ride.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
GT Member

If you search this website there are a few good threads that provide information on the different spring rates for oem springs and aftermarket springs.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The Konis made a big difference on ride. Haven't been able to get to the track to see how the high speed handling is going to be. Stock, it was horrible. The car wanted to dart around and rock from side to side under full throttle. If I can get to the track and the car is stable, I might not worry about springs. But if the car is still unstable (To me) I might think about it.

2011 Mustang GT, A6,Vortech by Beefcake, Beefcake Torque Booster, Circle D 2C, P305/35R18 M/T Street Radial IIs, Ford FRPP Springs, BMR Panhard Bar, BMR UCA and LCAs, DSS Shaft, Koni yellows, Lethal OR-H and OAP, Flowmaster Hushpowers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
springs will most likely be stiffer, varying by manufacturer as said above. The ride quality may suffer but again as said above it is all about the combination you choose. I personally noticed a better ride on my 03 when I did my shocks and struts but I had factory components that had 100k on them beforehand.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page