Just got a no muffler ticket for Roush A/Bs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Just got a no muffler ticket for Roush A/Bs

Was pulled over... guy starts taking pictures of the mufflers and underneath the car.

Says its illegal and shows me a picture he just took of the muffler showing its straight through design.

Gives me a ticket for having no mufflers.

Anybody know anything about this?

As far as i was aware the Roush is legal in All US states and Canada.

Looks like ill be going to court... just need some good info.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I have no idea about Canada...but there are obviously "mufflers" underneath the car... I like your chances in court. I would go to the police station, get a few cops outside, fire the car up with the axle backs on, take them off, fire it back up, rev it to 7000....but I'm kind of a D^&$ like that :}

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Was he a cop or a exhaust expert, what a joke! If you go onthe Roush site you can most likely print the info you need. Just a shame you have to waste your time with it all. Do they have emissions testing where you are? Never dealt with it myself but if you have them you would be able to prove you have mufflers.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dprat View Post
I have no idea about Canada...but there are obviously "mufflers" underneath the car... I like your chances in court. I would go to the police station, get a few cops outside, fire the car up with the axle backs on, take them off, fire it back up, rev it to 7000....but I'm kind of a D^&$ like that :}
+1

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
Banned

Should have pulled out your phone and got a video of him, it's 100% legal and would have been a good YouTube vid!
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dprat View Post
+1

What a ****. He could have just complained about it being too loud...but the whole exhaust expertise thing is a little much.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

They are obviously mufflers and are legal. I hope you told him a lot of mufflers are a straight through design lol. Sorry to hear about the bs you have to go through.

2011 GT 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73 Performance White - Bama X4 V2 91P, On3 Performance OR/X, Res Delete, GT500 AB, Axle Exchange DS, AEM Intake, Full BMR Rear, Koni Yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, Steeda Tri-Ax, Many more...

1970 Mach1 351 Cleveland M Code Numbers Matching Gone 60 paint - 5 Speed Tremec, MSD Blaster, Flowmaster, Ram Air, Many more...

Previous - 2005 Mustang GT, 1995 F350, 2003 Ram 1500...
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
GT Member

All Roush mufflers are under the volume limit by US regulations with the exception of the off road systems and a few others like the Roush 427R mufflers (they come with the car but "aren't installed" according to Roush). Sneaky, Sneaky..

I don't know about Canada, but I'm pretty sure the only federal US laws about exhaust are tampering with a muffler or catalytic converters, and illegal to have no muffler at all; however, local places (state or community level) have noise requirements, such as Texas can be as loud as they want while California can't be more than 95 decibels at the muffler. In New York City, it's actually illegal for your exhaust to be "plainly audible" from 150 feet away.

I'd check your local and federal laws, look into the specific ticket, and go to court with Roush documents and pictures. I'd also take the car. If he wrote a ticket for no mufflers, you should be off. If he wrote a ticket for illegal muffler or no muffler, then you may be on thin ice depending on local laws.

Good luck!

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
If you can not find what you need on the roush site I am sure you can give them a call. Heck they may even be willing to help you fight it somehow.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sound laws vary drastically from state to state in the US, and I don't know how the provinces might work. Obviously, the Roush mufflers are just that, although they are just glasspacks (that's what 'straight through' means). It's possible that glasspacks are illegal in your area- I've seen laws of that sort in the states.
My suggestion would be to first, determine if this is a 'fix-it' ticket. If so, drive the car quietly down to a police station (who is authorized to sign the ticket) and ask him to verify the presence of mufflers. If it can't simply be signed off, go online and check the exact code you were cited for- it may be 'too loud', or 'modified exhaust' or some such. You'll need to fight it differently (or there may be no defense) if that's the case.
Good luck- remember, they stack the deck against you to make it difficult to fight.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt56 View Post
Sound laws vary drastically from state to state in the US, and I don't know how the provinces might work. Obviously, the Roush mufflers are just that, although they are just glasspacks (that's what 'straight through' means). It's possible that glasspacks are illegal in your area- I've seen laws of that sort in the states.
My suggestion would be to first, determine if this is a 'fix-it' ticket. If so, drive the car quietly down to a police station (who is authorized to sign the ticket) and ask him to verify the presence of mufflers. If it can't simply be signed off, go online and check the exact code you were cited for- it may be 'too loud', or 'modified exhaust' or some such. You'll need to fight it differently (or there may be no defense) if that's the case.
Good luck- remember, they stack the deck against you to make it difficult to fight.
Excellent Advice!

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Can't believe what I just read. Obviously you have mufflers on the car. I bet even his cop buddies are calling him an idiot right now for writing such an idiotic ticket.
What does the ticket say? Violation of which law specifically (noise, no muffler, unsafe vehicle, etc)? If it's nothing to do with noise and simply "no mufflers", then you just use his own evidence against him and refer to the pic he took, or bring your own. I just can't believe this though, wow.

Good luck in court though!

Edit: And if it is just noise, I never see any Harley's pulled over. . . .

2014 GT 6MT Ruby Red | Brembo Pkg | 3.73 Axle | Torsen Diff | Accessory Pkg 5
Order: 02/12/13 | VIN: 02/28/13 | Build: 03/11/13 | ETA: 04/01/13, Revised: 03/27/13 | Delivery: 03/26/13
Vossen CV3Rs 20x9/20x10.5, Michelin PS4S 255/35/20 295/30/20, Borla S-Type ABs, Resonator Delete, JLT CAI, Barton Shifter, Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs, BMR LCAs, BMR LCA Relo Brackets, BMR Panhard Bar, Raxiom Smoked Fogs, Engine Dress-up, Tint
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Also just found this from the Ontario Highway Traffic Act:
Noise, smoke, bells and horns
Muffler
75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (1).
Unfortunately, the "straight-through" design of the Roush mufflers could be interpreted as "straight exhaust". You might have a tough fight ahead of you.

If the ticket was for noise, then you most likely violated a local bylaw, not the HTA.

2014 GT 6MT Ruby Red | Brembo Pkg | 3.73 Axle | Torsen Diff | Accessory Pkg 5
Order: 02/12/13 | VIN: 02/28/13 | Build: 03/11/13 | ETA: 04/01/13, Revised: 03/27/13 | Delivery: 03/26/13
Vossen CV3Rs 20x9/20x10.5, Michelin PS4S 255/35/20 295/30/20, Borla S-Type ABs, Resonator Delete, JLT CAI, Barton Shifter, Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs, BMR LCAs, BMR LCA Relo Brackets, BMR Panhard Bar, Raxiom Smoked Fogs, Engine Dress-up, Tint
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Just to clarify this ridiculous scenario...

I was driving through downtown and i hear police sirens whaling and lights flashing. Next thing i know im being pulled over by an F250 super duty.

The cop comes up to my door, asks me for license, insurance etc.

He had a huge cockiness about his attitude and demeanor. Basically harassment is what it was. I politely give him the documents and he tells me my exhaust is illegal.

I tell him it was purchased at a dealership and installed by a dealer and is legal in all US states.

Mind you the entire of downtown is looking at us thanks to his excessive use of sirens and massive truck flashing police lights everywhere.

He starts looking underneath the car on both the driver and passenger side. He then pulls out a digital camera and starts taking pictures of the inside of the Roush mufflers.

He calls himself an "exhaust expert" who is "trained by mechanics". This guy is part of the local PD here working traffic.

He gives me a ticket for having no mufflers on the vehicle. "Operate motor vehicle no muffler" for 110$.

He starts talking to me how my exhaust is actually bad and is heavy (LOL its 30lbs lighter than stock) and how it decreases performance. He explains how everything i said is from a marketing brochure LOL

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
PONY Member

I had Borla Ataks (rear section only) on my 03 GT and am shocked I never got a ticket. Get off the internet and contact a lawyer if a conviction has any chance of staying on your driving record. It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks or says. The second you say or offer something you got off the Internet they will either laugh or stop paying attention to you. I can comment how this likely would be handled in my area but that's completely useless to you. Have you called the cops and asked what might be expected of you? Maybe a nice one will explain what you have to do or what will happen. I have a lawyer I used in court that cost $150, worth every penny. There are many reasons I never run a loud exhaust anymore, I don't care if Harleys get away with it or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in