2011 Mustang 5.0 - AC failure - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2011 Mustang 5.0 - AC failure

My AC failed one day after work. I started up, turned on AC and got blasted with hot air. My mustang had 38k miles (of course) so this would be on me. I drove 60 miles home, on the highway, checking the AC from time to time, but even with speed and air, it was warm.

I took my car to the dealer, pleading for assistance, as it had just crossed warranty, so here's what they did...

They inspected the AC and told me the Schrader valves on the high and low tubes were leaking. They told me it was $733.00 to change them, but they would eat half to help me out. If you know what a Schrader valve is, your jaw would have dropped like mine did.

They said the seals on both Schrader valves failed. So I guess they're only good for 36k miles. I'm glad tire valve manufacturers don't suffer from this issue. They said the valves are cheap, but they needed to charge me for diagnostics, evac and refill after changing the valves.

So, as mad as hell, I told them to do it. $240.00 and two weeks later, the AC is warm again. To take it back to this dealerships service department would be crazy. If it's a hose, what is that worth? 1k - 2k?

I'm a long time Mustang buyer and driver, but all of that is about to change. I don't mind paying for repairs, but I DO mind being taken advantage of.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have a similar problem, don't drive mine alot it's an 06 with just over 10 thousand miles on it. Took it out this morning to find the air to be blowing warm air. I haven't looked into it yet but after your experience not looking forward to it.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014
Apprentice

Well, if it's any consolation, my '87 GMC Suburban, my bad-weather ride, had the same a schrader valve failure issue at about 16k miles since last service. It's not unique to Mustang, guys, but there's no excuse for not fixing it right the first time.

2014 GT, Race Red, 6-speed, Track Pack, JLT oil separator, sound tube delete, Roush Stage 2 supercharger kit, 82mm pulley, VMP tune, MGW shifter, Koni STR.T shocks and struts, Steeda Sport springs, BMR LCAs, relo brackets, adjustable UCA and adjustable panhard, GT500 axle backs, 3D Carbon painted GT500 spoiler.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014
Apprentice

Be prepared

My 2011 V6 Pony Pkg w/31,000 had the A/C fail while were on a trip up north on June 6th. Took it into a local Ford dealer (CPO warranty). Turns out the front half seal on the compressor blew out. Long story short, they need to replace the compressor, condenser (it contains the receiver/drier) and the Expansion valve. Only problem is the Expansion valve is on back order, nationally, until July 20th.
BTW, it appears the Mustang and Escape use the same system.
Had a terrible drive back to Virginia yesterday w/ no A/C. Oh, you also lose the defog capability when it is raining. Going to my dealer tomorrow to get the parts on order.
Good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, I need some luck. Driving a black Mustang with no AC in 95 degrees has me feeling sick to my stomach.
Yes, It's HOT again. The 'fix' only lasted about two weeks.
This just tells me that the it got cold again because of the recharge of refrigerant, but not because of changing the Schrader valves.
After a couple weeks, the refrigerant has probably leaked back out and it's hot again.
So, I am now driving my 90 Mustang as my daily driver, original AC with R12..... but it works, unlike this new one.
I'm frustrated, knowing they didn't fix the problem, and it's like playing trial and error, on my credit card.

I added a can of AC leak sealer and a couple cans of refrigerant and it's bearable for now.

Last edited by DogVomit; 06-22-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page