GT 18" OEM Nero tire question. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

GT 18" OEM Nero tire question.

If you had or have the Nero Zero oem tires I have a question. Are the Nero Zeros that bad? I recently put a set of stock GT 18s (2013 date code)on my 2014 V6 auto that came with 215/65/17s. Ever since I put on these 18s I can not pull away from a stop into a right or left turn (intersection, out of a parking lot etc.) nearly as quick as I was able to with my stock 17s. I tried running 32 psi (GT recommoendation) and 35 psi (V6 recommendation). The 17s would spin if I gave too much throttle but I was able to take off quickly . Are these 18 Neros soo bad that my 17" Michelins offer more traction or is it because the 18s are a little smaller and give me lower effective gearing? The 18s are certainly stiffer and more responsive under higher loads but not by much . I thought my Michelins were better than I expected but figured they must suck because they are only 215 wide and are ECO Greenie tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014
Sean Reilly

Well you will get a 50/50 mixed reaction here at AFM with regards to who, and why they either Like or dislike the actual Pirelli Tire company.....

As for your question.....Well You answered it yourself Due to the fact that you are going to get a "Lower" Torque Multiplication Factor with the 18" Rims, It's not a Big difference, but it is evidentially enough to let your "Butt Dyno" know that the Stang. just doesn't have the same acceleration that it did with the OEM 17" Rims.....

Also, Im sure that the 18" GT Rubber is at least a 235 mm width tire, therefore, the contact Patch is quite a bit larger, not to mention that those Pirelli P-Zero All Season Tires have a MUCH more "Sticky" rubber compound......

If you are looking for a better "Seat of the Pants" acceleration....You will have to either go back to the Stock 17"s (and try to see if you can get a "Quality" 225 width tire that will SAFELY mount to that OEM Rim!)
Or you can go and Change out your Rear Differential Ring and Pinion Gears to a more aggressive (Numerically Higher) Set of Gears....

You don't have a "Signature" so We don't know what your Stang. has....From the Factory!...Is it a Auto or 3 Pedal?....What Size Gears? etc.

Sean.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014
Rookie

Chitownpete,

You went from a 28" tall tire to a 27.2" tire. This has the same effect as lower gearing. With the tire diameter change it is like you now have 2.80 gears instead of 2.73s. Another way to word it is you only need a 2.66 rear end to get the same acceleration from the 18"s. The OEM 18's with the 235/50R18s are about 5lbs lighter than the OEM 17s so you have less rotational mass.

Your car should be taking off quicker out of the hole, have a more balanced feel, and be handling much better from a combination of lighter weight, stickier rubber, and wider rubber with short and stiffer sidewalls. You gained 0.8" in tire width.

The stock Michelin's and the stock Pirelli PZero Neros are both pretty lousy tires IMO but the Pirellis are far superior and far stickier. The Pirellis actually perform OK for the first 20k and then degrade quickly in wet grip and road noise. If you have the money and don't mind spending it you may want to ditch the Pirellis and get a max performance summer tire like the Bridgestone S-04s or Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Sorry, forgot to mention what I even have. A Base 2014 Automatic with the standard 3.73 gears. I plan to buy some Summer only tires at some point but want to decide whether to put on 17 or 18" wheels. My roads are crap so some extra sidewall is nice. I use my Mustang as more of a cruiser and my 350z as more of a sports car and I honestly didn't hate the 17s. I don't plan on changing gears or anything like that. My car only has 2000 miles so it's probably still breaking in. I forgot to mention that as well. Every new car I've owned (13 or so) got noticeably faster after a few thousand miles. Thanks for the replies.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014
Rookie

I'm not sure why you would want to put the stock 17"s back on when you have the lighter and much better looking and handling 18s.

There are no real good max performance summer options in 215/65R17, 225/60R17 (stock on manual cars), or 235/55R17 with their massive flexible sidewalls.

Stick with the 18s. They are lighter than the 17s, better looking and there are plenty of good tire options in the 235/50R18 size. I am not sure what problem you are having with the OEM Pirelli PZero Neros but there is no way your car is slower with them compared to the stock 215/65R17s.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Threw the 17s back on and weighed them using 2 different bathroom scales by themselves and by holding them then putting them down. . The 17s were about 50 pounds and the 18s were about 58 pounds. The 17s were around 15% lighter and noticeably taller. I like ground clearance so running the smaller diameter GT stock tires is not for me. I'll either keep the 18s and get 235/55/18s or find 225s or 235s for the 17s. A drop in ride height is something I don't want.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownpete View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention what I even have. A Base 2014 Automatic with the standard 3.73 gears..
Do you mean that you have 2.73's??.....As there is no such OEM Option for an Automatic Mustang with a set of 3.73 Gears, Not even with a GT Auto, as I believe that 3.31's are the numerically Highest rear diff gears offered on a V6 Performance Pack, and thats Only available with a Manual Tranny....

I believe the highest Rear Gears for the Auto equipped Stang. is the 3.15

Sean.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Sorry, 2.73s.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
Sean Reilly

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownpete View Post
Sorry, 2.73s.
No prob. Bro. I was in NO WAY trying to "School You" about what the OEM options are!

I was just making sure that "You" didn't swap your gears out to a 3.73 ratio! Because if this was the case, your cars TCM (Transmission Control Module) would be going absolutely NUTS, hence that being the reason that your Stang. seemed much weaker with the 18" Rims

Sean.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks Sean, don't know why that number was in my head. All kinds of weird things happen up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page