Issue - Drilled a hole too big for JLT CAI grommet - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Issue - Drilled a hole too big for JLT CAI grommet

I installed my new JLT CAI this weekend on my V6 Mustang. Since it is automatic, I had to drill a hole as instructed here in step #4:

http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCar...I-FMV611-P.pdf

The 1/2" hole was too tight and I couldn't put the grommet and fitting inside of it. So I decided to enlarge the hole. Unfortunately, I screwed up and made the hole too big, to a point where the grommet is very loose (If I pull the automatic line to disconnect it, the grommet + fitting will likely come together with the line).

I added some silicon around the rubber grommet, so I don't think it will fall out while driving. Still, I wanted to fix in a better way, since I know the grommet + fitting will loose if I remove the automatic line one day.

I don't know if I made myself clear, but basically, can anyone think in a way of fixing this properly? I don't think JLT sells the CAI tube separately

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
Banned

Get on the website of an industrial supply house (McMaster-Carr comes to mind) and look for a grommet with an OD to match the hole size you drilled and an ID to match the original JLT grommet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
Banned

Issue - Drilled a hole too big for JLT CAI grommet

Deleted

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbr View Post
I installed my new JLT CAI this weekend on my V6 Mustang. Since it is automatic, I had to drill a hole as instructed here in step #4:

http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCar...I-FMV611-P.pdf

The 1/2" hole was too tight and I couldn't put the grommet and fitting inside of it. So I decided to enlarge the hole. Unfortunately, I screwed up and made the hole too big, to a point where the grommet is very loose (If I pull the automatic line to disconnect it, the grommet + fitting will likely come together with the line).

I added some silicon around the rubber grommet, so I don't think it will fall out while driving. Still, I wanted to fix in a better way, since I know the grommet + fitting will loose if I remove the automatic line one day.

I don't know if I made myself clear, but basically, can anyone think in a way of fixing this properly? I don't think JLT sells the CAI tube separately
This isn't a huge deal. Go to a good hardware store like an Ace or True Value, look for their fitting boxes. I used to work for a local hardware chain in Michigan called Gill-Roy's. We had a supplier called Jandorf that shipped a variety of odd but necessary fittings, grommets, hinges, flare couplings, etc. Heck, they even had the screw lock fittings for particleboard furniture in about 12 different sizes.

Anyway, we had two or three different boxes of rubber grommets with various OD and ID measurements. I'd carefully measure the OD opening you drilled and take the original grommet shipped to you for the ID measurement. You should find one that works just fine. Buy one you think is too big OD and put a little grease or WD40 on it to fit it in the drilled opening. Or heat it mildly with a hair dryer.

If you aren't near a local hardware store that carries jandorf, their website is simply Jandorf.com

2014 Pony Package convertible l Deep Impact Blue on Black l auto (current)

2014 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 l White on Grey l Chrome 20"s l Navigation l Hemi (current daily driver)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hey, good news

I followed your advice and went to a local supply shop where they seemed to have rubber grommets. They had some variety there, since they were cheap I grabbed a few of different sizes and tried it out at home:

You can see the small one on the right of the connector, that's the original one with some silicon on it. The one plugged to the connector is the one I ended up using, and now is holding perfectly!

Thanks guys.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
Apprentice

Good deal.

2014 Pony Package convertible l Deep Impact Blue on Black l auto (current)

2014 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 l White on Grey l Chrome 20"s l Navigation l Hemi (current daily driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page