5.0 coyote + Borla ataks = epicness - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

5.0 coyote + Borla ataks = epicness

Well my 2011 GT/CS kept its stock mufflers for less than 3 weeks before getting them remove which was absolutely necessary after owning two v6s and having v8 sound envy. It was between Borla and roush and while they are very similar the larger exhaust tips and deeper rumble is what pushed me to the borlas and I'm glad I did since the tips look straight up bad ass.

Did the install the help of a buddy since that only costed me a 6 pack versus $70 for a shop to do it. The install turned out to be a bigger P.I.T.A. than I expected though mainly due to those stupid tabs on the clamps. We couldn't pry them off and broke a flat head in the process, ended up using a pair of tin snips to cut them. The passenger muffler wasn't to bad just had to fight it a bit to get the hangers in. The driver side however was a completly different story though when we cut the tab it made a very sharp edge which we both cut our fingers on later on. The biggest pain it what I'm assuming is the pan hard bar sits farther towards the back on the driver side which made it impossible to get the rear hangers in. We eventually ended up unbolting it and moving it out of the way and we were able to get it into place but the tip is slightly out of place so I'm taking it down to the exhaust shop I use who will adjust it for free. I also discovered that the driver side resonator is dented pretty bad so now I have a good excuse to replace the mid pipe and over the axle pipes.

Although the install took 3 hours with a run to O'Reilys and a break to bandage our wounds it was absolutely worth every minute. The sound is next to none and none of the videos even come close to showcasing the sound and how good it is, the note throughout the entire rpm range is delicious. My favorite thing is just starting the car on a cold start, I can't help but mutter 'ohhh god' to myself every time I turn the key. Worth every cent

5.0 coyote + Borla ataks = epicness-imageuploadedbyag-free1403043535.107089.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free Appi forgot to mention there is absolutely no drone what so ever.

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
Is it just the picture or are your tailpipes a little off-kilter?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
They do look a bit crooked on second glance.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
Rookie

Nice. Borla S-Type was on my short list but I ended up going with a set of Bassani Street Race I found on Craigslist. I love em.

Race Red GT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
GT Member

The resonator dent is suppse to be there. Both have the dent. Seems like the six pack kinda hindered the install. Been there more than once.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Yeah, the right tip is just about perfect but as you can see the left tip is sagging slightly. I'm taking it to get the left one adjusted tomorrow which the shop I go to does minor adjustments for free and will be a lot faster at I than I am.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014
PONY Member

Taking it to a shop?

Loosen the 13mm nut on the exhaust clamp, grab the muffler, and bump it in the direction you want to go. When you're done tapping it back and forth so that the tips are centered, tighten it back down. Easy as pie. No need for ramps, even

To install the driver side muffler without a struggle, simply unbolt the three 15mm bolts that hold the black front muffler-hanger bracket onto the bottom of the car. Took thirty seconds to pull with a cordless impact, but even a simple ratcheting wrench would have done the job. Then slip the muffler into the rear hangers, pop the front one onto the muffler, raise it and replace the 15mm bolts with just a few turns, so you have a lot of wiggle room. Line the front of the muffler up with the midpipe, torque down the 15mms, and reinstall the clamp.

I removed the old muffler with the clamps still installed and then sliced them off with a cutoff wheel. And deburred it on a bench grinder, because I do this stuff for a living and tired of sliced fingers from being in a rush a long time ago.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntoy View Post
Taking it to a shop?

Loosen the 13mm nut on the exhaust clamp, grab the muffler, and bump it in the direction you want to go. When you're done tapping it back and forth so that the tips are centered, tighten it back down. Easy as pie. No need for ramps, even

To install the driver side muffler without a struggle, simply unbolt the three 15mm bolts that hold the black front muffler-hanger bracket onto the bottom of the car. Took thirty seconds to pull with a cordless impact, but even a simple ratcheting wrench would have done the job. Then slip the muffler into the rear hangers, pop the front one onto the muffler, raise it and replace the 15mm bolts with just a few turns, so you have a lot of wiggle room. Line the front of the muffler up with the midpipe, torque down the 15mms, and reinstall the clamp.

I removed the old muffler with the clamps still installed and then sliced them off with a cutoff wheel. And deburred it on a bench grinder, because I do this stuff for a living and tired of sliced fingers from being in a rush a long time ago.
We were going to just remove the hangers but we didn't have the right tools to be able tighten the bolt as the ataks muffler casing blocked the bolt. Being 22 my tool collection is as limited as my experience with this stuff, but both expand with every mod I do. But I will definitely try the adjustment you recommend.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014

wrenching on a car with your buddies and loving every minute of it - getting a worthwhile result - this is why we work on our cars. glad to see you all enjoying that Borla sound - have a safe and great 4th of July - enjoy and happy motoring!
GT Member

I ran Borla S-Type #11750 on my 2006 GT Automatic for two years. I was never able to get the tips perfectly straight, but I loved the big tips and deep sound. The drone was a little annoying at 65-75mph, but at any other speed, I loved them.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
PONY Member

This thread is worthless without a sound clip! We want to listen!

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloStang2010 View Post
We were going to just remove the hangers but we didn't have the right tools to be able tighten the bolt as the ataks muffler casing blocked the bolt. Being 22 my tool collection is as limited as my experience with this stuff, but both expand with every mod I do. But I will definitely try the adjustment you recommend.

No offense but being 22 has no relation to not knowing how to fix your mufflers. I could swap axle backs when I was 15 lol.

2011 GT 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73 Performance White - Bama X4 V2 91P, On3 Performance OR/X, Res Delete, GT500 AB, Axle Exchange DS, AEM Intake, Full BMR Rear, Koni Yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, Steeda Tri-Ax, Many more...

1970 Mach1 351 Cleveland M Code Numbers Matching Gone 60 paint - 5 Speed Tremec, MSD Blaster, Flowmaster, Ram Air, Many more...

Previous - 2005 Mustang GT, 1995 F350, 2003 Ram 1500...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page