Stock vs Aftermarket CAIs... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Stock vs Aftermarket CAIs...

Performance or cosmetic? I was watching an episode of Jay Leno's garage on youtube. He showed a 13 mustang Boss 302. He had a rep from Ford on video to discuss the car. Jay asked him about Stock vs Aftermarket CAI for performance HP. The Ford rep basically said The aftermarket CAIs offer no boost compared to the stock CAI. Was wondering if this is true or not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
Apprentice

True. It's an aftermarket tune that adds the hp.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I would like to see actual research done on this. Since my CAI was free, I slapped it on because it looks way better however, I don't think I would have actually bought it just based on a few things I've read.

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
If you have a spare bit of free time and some google powers, there has been research done on this topic for the coyote engines. HP gains with an aftermarket intake are negligible. Vendors will try to convince you that HP gains are evident when the CAI is paired with a tune. I have yet to see any proof showing that those gains aren't strictly from the tune though. . .

2014 GT 6MT Ruby Red | Brembo Pkg | 3.73 Axle | Torsen Diff | Accessory Pkg 5
Order: 02/12/13 | VIN: 02/28/13 | Build: 03/11/13 | ETA: 04/01/13, Revised: 03/27/13 | Delivery: 03/26/13
Vossen CV3Rs 20x9/20x10.5, Michelin PS4S 255/35/20 295/30/20, Borla S-Type ABs, Resonator Delete, JLT CAI, Barton Shifter, Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs, BMR LCAs, BMR LCA Relo Brackets, BMR Panhard Bar, Raxiom Smoked Fogs, Engine Dress-up, Tint
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC13GT5.0 View Post
Performance or cosmetic? I was watching an episode of Jay Leno's garage on youtube. He showed a 13 mustang Boss 302. He had a rep from Ford on video to discuss the car. Jay asked him about Stock vs Aftermarket CAI for performance HP. The Ford rep basically said The aftermarket CAIs offer no boost compared to the stock CAI. Was wondering if this is true or not?
Even though I've got a 2010 GT, I'd like to chime in since the air intake is similar on the 2010-2014.

On the stock tune, I experienced a noticeable decrease in performance when running the Airaid CAI with the modular venturi tube installed. As the underhood temps went up, the car wouldn't pull as hard.

I put the stock intake back, and the car pulled harder all the time.

Just out of curiosity, I put the Airaid back in a few weeks later and tried again. Unfortunately, it was the same as the first time with performance dropping off as the car warmed up. As before, reinstalling the stock air intake produced an noticeable improvement in performance.

It's a shame too because the Airaid CAI is a well engineered piece that looks great.

Jim T.
Present: 2018 Mustang GT (MT): Shadow Black

Past: 2007 Mustang GT Premium (MT), 2010 Mustang GT Premium (MT)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member

A CAI is worth maybe a few hp way on the top end but 99% of the HP gains are from the tune. I would just get a tune and keep the stock box unless you want it for the looks.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP. On a 5.0 an aftermarket CAI is for the most part , cosmetic. the stock induction system is more than capable of delivering 600 rwhp. As others have said, a good tune is worth much more than an air cleaner change.
True enough, some of the aftermarket CAI units look mean. It all depends on how much money you want to spend to have a CAI you can brag about.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Performance, negligible if any
Looks, doesn't do anything for me
Sound is where a CAI makes a real difference

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014
Apprentice

Here's some random CAI stuff I've been thinking about:

According to FRPP, an OEM throttle body flows 913 CFM. The consensus that the stock TB is more than adequate for a mostly stock Coyote.

The stock intake flows 748 CFM with a paper filter, so only a 135 CFM difference.

Paper filter flows 319 CFM; K&N panel filter 441 CFM = 122 increase.

Isn't the duct behind the grille the bottleneck of the system? Almost all aftermarket CAIs use this scoop, so if it's the least flowing piece then a larger filter and tube afterwards isn't going to help.

'14 Grabber Blue GT - Base 300A, Track Pack, Recaro seats - Mods: SCT X4, BBK long tubes and X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, MGW shifter, BMR LCAs and UCA w/ mount
'93 Reef Blue LX 5.0 - 5-speed, black interior, factory A/C delete - GT40P Top End, 5-Lug/4-Wheel Disc - SOLD
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

hmm, great input from everyone. I think I will leave the stock CAI in my 5.0 and put the money elsewhere.
PONY Member

regardless if of performance, it will increase your MPG by 2-3 MPG
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Without a tune, an air intake has no effect on mileage on modern cars either. In fact, even a dirty air filter will not affect your mileage. The PCM adjusts for the lower air volume by reducing fuel delivery. This will affect performance but not mileage (at least not noticeably). Both Myth Busters and Consumer's reports have recently reported on this. You can find other references online as well.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
Without a tune, an air intake has no effect on mileage on modern cars either. In fact, even a dirty air filter will not affect your mileage. The PCM adjusts for the lower air volume by reducing fuel delivery. This will affect performance but not mileage (at least not noticeably). Both Myth Busters and Consumer's reports have recently reported on this. You can find other references online as well.
I've been measuring my MPG, I have a solid 3 MPG increase city and 2 MPG highway. This hasn't changed for 5,000 miles. Additionally I bought the CAI used - it hasn't been cleaned yet.

I also noticed a big improvement with throttle response at the pedal. I drove this car for 20,000 miles without a CAI. The throttle results may not be measurable without a tune but I definitely could tell a difference in my foot
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

That's pretty cool - a car that defies the laws of physics. I'd hang onto it if I were you.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
That's pretty cool - a car that defies the laws of physics. I'd hang onto it if I were you.

We've got genius here folks! Must be Mensa.

When I had my tune and intake, I had significantly better fuel consumption both on the the streets and on the track. Not the on board computer but calculator math.

Only by 3 or 4 mpgs, but it is what it is. I took it off because the way bama maps tunes was just a bit too aggressive for a road course.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 5.0 - Deep Impact Blue
Brembo, GT500 axle backs, Vogtland springs, GT500 shocks/struts, Laguna SECA transmission scoop, 3.31, Carbotech xp10/8, JLT brake ducts
TWS CCW: 2:03.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page