Would you trade your 5.0 for a 2008/09 Shelby GT500? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Would you trade your 2011/14 5.0 for a 2007/09 Shelby GT500?
YES 17 18.28%
NO 67 72.04%
MAYBE 9 9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I can't see the point in trading it in for anything other than an 11+ as that is when they revamped it and introduced the aluminum block that took 115+ lbs off the front of the vehicle. 5.0 is of course not as "built" as a Shelby 5.4 internally, which is why some people pushing 580+ HP on a 5.0 I wonder how long they will last. I'd aim for an 11-12 though, but an 08-09-2010 would still of course destroy a 5.0, the '11 is where they made dramatic changes though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

I dont deal with used cars, no matter the condition.

Not to mention the interior downgrade and other downgrades such as no hid lights etc.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
PONY Member

Garage
Would you trade your 5.0 for a 2008/09 Shelby GT500?

No way to the 2009 and older. 2010 and up, maybe, but unlikely. 2013 and up, definitely but it would have to be extremely clean, bone stock and low miles. There's not many cars out right now that would make me part with my coyote, but the new GT500 is one of them. C7 is another. That's all I can think of.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD

Apprentice

I vote no, because the stock performance is not enough of a difference between the Cobra and the newer Coyote motor. Also, I love the interior and other options my '13 has.

2013 Mustang GT Premium (6 speed manual, 3.73 gears, GT500 axle-backs, no resonators), 1998 Pontiac Firebird Convertible, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2007 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250
PONY Member

I would trade it, but my concern would be that the Shelby is not as good a daily driver as a regular GT and I end up tired of driving it.

A Shelby is a Shelby!

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop
PONY Member

I would as long as the GT500 was low mikes and 100% original.

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That year of GT500 had an iron block motor. They were known for being nose heavy. A blown Coyote or 2011+ GT500 would be a much better handling car.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
PONY Member

For some reason, though, I would take a 2003/2004 Cobra, but not trade in my current car.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkandgud View Post
For some reason, though, I would take a 2003/2004 Cobra, but not trade in my current car.
+1...
PONY Member
5.0L Member

On another note, I just replaced the stock Shaker 500 with a Pioneer AVH X-5600BHS and an Infinity Basslink.../... WOW, I really can't stop driving now. So once again, answer is no, I love my car

(yes, Marky Mark is about to "punch that timecard" in one of those pics)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basslink.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	357137   Click image for larger version

Name:	marky.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	357145   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	357153  

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnido45 View Post
I'm in the minority here...but I would trade in my modified 2011 Mustang GT for an immaculate, SUPER low miles 2007-09 Shelby GT500.
The purchase/trade would not be based on performance/comfort/technology...it would be for the eternal "cool" factor that comes with the Shelby badge.

Imagine your fixed up, 2011 Black Beauty parked next to a shiny 2009 Shelby GT500 at a car show or any parking lot. 10 out of 10 times, the crowd or onlooker will gravitate to the Shelby GT500 and wished that they owned one. They'll say that your car is "cool", but the Shelby parked next to you is "way, waayyyy cooler"...it's a RESPECT thing...You would belong to an exclusive club!!!

Plus, I would definitely modify the GT500!!! lol

Something like this:

We have a client who is looking to sell his 07 GT-500 with only 4,000 on the odometer...just sayin.. :P and good lord is that GT-500 low, forget any city driving\speed bumps.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dprat View Post
On another note, I just replaced the stock Shaker 500 with a Pioneer AVH X-5600BHS and an Infinity Basslink.../... WOW, I really can't stop driving now. So once again, answer is no, I love my car

(yes, Marky Mark is about to "punch that timecard" in one of those pics)
See, that setup is what steered me away from the GT-500 w\o nav or any Mustang w\o nav, you have to get that crazy Metric kit (most kits are 30$, that one for the GT to add a double din is more like 650+$ that installs it so low your shifter almost blocks everything. Do you actually LIKE that setup? Seems ridiculously low and out of sight for a nav\head unit to me, def clearly not factory look at all.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
See, that setup is what steered me away from the GT-500 w\o nav or any Mustang w\o nav, you have to get that crazy Metric kit (most kits are 30$, that one for the GT to add a double din is more like 650+$ that installs it so low your shifter almost blocks everything. Do you actually LIKE that setup? Seems ridiculously low and out of sight for a nav\head unit to me, def clearly not factory look at all.

Nah, it's not a nav unit, just a CD/DVD. I actually like it right there, I hated reaching down to adjust the AC etc. I love this set up much better, feels more natural. Besides, it sounds AWESOME, + most of my music plays from my phone via bluetooth and still control everything from the steering wheel. If you like the stock look, which I did, that's cool. Although I prefer to have the AC/Heated seats controls up high. But no, the stick doesn't get in the way of anything. Pretty close guess at $650. For the head unit, scosche, infinity Basslink, retaining sync + install = $644. Well worth it if you hated the shaker as much as I did.

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI
PONY Member

Trade my 14 in? No way. Would buy a used one as an addition in a second if the deal was good enough.

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.
PONY Member

Nope. I think the cars look too dated (which I suppose is a bit ironic!), plus I like the engine in the "11+ GT500s better. I'm pretty satisfied with the power/performance of my '12GT, so I wouldn't make the move unless I was 100% smitten with the car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page