Shifter For Daily Driver - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Garage
I just upgraded to the MGW. Best thing I've done so far. Much better shifts! It was super easy to install and that was greatly due to the install video that MGW made to help with the installation.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	602.1 KB
ID:	357369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	357377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	357385  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Garage
Oh and in addition if you mention you are a member of AFM they give a 10% discount!!!

PONY Member

My experience with the MGW:

I don't own the Barton, I have an MGW, my shifts are faultless. Looking at it objectively, What I like about the MGW is the whole lower shift box is replaced with a CNC'd unit with stiffer shift rail guides, it is overall a much more precise design, the shifter is adjustable to the left to allow a perfect 1-2 shift, the spring to third tension is adjustable (by removing spring cap) and MGW is super commited to making this shifter as quiet (or quieter than stock) Their twin post bracket is extremely wide to eliminate torsional twist, they enclose dynamat, a thicker additional insulation pad, and a heat shield made of stainless below the shifter, with insulation. All this for $30. more than a Barton, certainly something to consider.

My 1-2 shifts are on the money, 2-3, 3-4 shifts a no brainer, and 4-5 slips in with just slight pressure from the heel of your hand, 6th gear slight pressure to the right, straight in. That shifter is worth every penny, you can see when you install it, MGW people are committed to making the best shifter on the market.

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

It appears that MGW is the overwhelming favorite. There was a Barton fan and a couple of Steeda supporters but I already mentioned that any increase in NVH was unacceptable and that a shorter throw was not necessary (or even desired). And the discount for forum members makes the price difference from Barton meaningless - thanks for mentioning that. I might have stayed with stock as a couple of posts suggested if there hadn't been an option like the MGW that would give the shifting precision without the NVH.

Thanks everyone for the useful information. I will be calling MGW to order today.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
SHELBY GT 350 Member

good call...now for the upsell. Wouldn't you like a new shift knob too?

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Actually, I have bought two knobs from MGW. The first was their race knob - I loved the shape but the material was too smooth and slippery. The second was their gripper knob which is similar in shape (although not quite as "carved") but has a textured surface for better grip. That's the one I am currently using.

2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 06-20-2014 at 01:51 PM.
PONY Member

My car has an MGW composite race knob, and I love it. Never scalding hot, never ice cold. Contoured with an ergonomically *superb* shape, its my favorite aftermarket knob to date on anything I've owned.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
Apprentice

I didn't use the Dynamat when I installed my MGW and I have no NHV. My car only has 750 miles (300 miles on the shifter) and I'm very happy with it so far, but I think the transmission and shifter could use more breaking in.

'14 Grabber Blue GT - Base 300A, Track Pack, Recaro seats - Mods: SCT X4, BBK long tubes and X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, MGW shifter, BMR LCAs and UCA w/ mount
'93 Reef Blue LX 5.0 - 5-speed, black interior, factory A/C delete - GT40P Top End, 5-Lug/4-Wheel Disc - SOLD
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntoy View Post
My car has an MGW composite race knob, and I love it. Never scalding hot, never ice cold. Contoured with an ergonomically *superb* shape, its my favorite aftermarket knob to date on anything I've owned.
Even better... when I placed my order this morning I asked about the knob and they tell me that the composite race knob is still the same shape but is now made from a less slippery material. It's not as textured as the gripper knob but not as glossy/slippery as the original race knob. So I ordered one of those as well.

BTW, the discount for forum members is only 5% but that's still nice to get.

2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boff View Post
I wasn't sure I wanted to go full whack with a short shifter ($ and the fact that the shifts are already pretty short), but I had some of the same issues as the OP. So I installed the Steeda shifter bracket with the harder of the two supplied bushings. The shifts are smoother, more positive, and more accurate, although care still does need to be taken. (I think I will install the Whiteline transmission mount bushing to take out that last bit of movement in the driveline). NVH has noticeably increased. Some of the new sounds are good...like the slight gear whine upon acceleration...but driveline clunks and clanks are increased and even the exhaust (I am running GT500 AB's) is more intense. I'm OK with all of this as I feel I have added back some of the mechanical soul that is engineered out of modern cars. There is also a softer bushing (that is still way harder than the OEM marshmallow) that apparently gives virtually the same improvements in shifting without any increased NVH. Overall, I feel that the bracket is a good first step for those who want to improve the shifting experience without making the much larger investment that is the short shifter itself. On the other hand, the fact that I am clicking on short shift threads means that I still feel there is room for improvement.
I did both bushings and the XL-18 additive a week ago. It definitely shifts firmer and easier. There is more noise and vibration on acceleration but I like it too. $60 for all three items is well worth it.

Received 7/2/10: 11' GT base with 3.73,
Installed: Steeda CAI, SCT, Steeda tune, GT500 axlebacks, SVT leather wheel, Infinity Kappas, Boston amp, Bazooka powered sub, yellow fog light bulbs, dark front corner lights, GT500 splash guards, tint, SVE Drift matte 18"x9" wheels with 265/40s and SVE 1" drop springs, Koni Yellow, HP+ pads, brake duct coolers with CS front lower and splitter
Bought and soon to be installed: Edelbrock E-force stage 2
Stable: 14 SHO, 10 Road Glide
PONY Member

I've had the Energy Suspension bushing and Amsoil tranny fluid for about a year and they did improve things. I installed the MGW yesterday. Wow! what a difference. Now I know what all the praise is about. No NVH either. I should have done this a lot sooner.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I had the MGW shifter installed a couple of days ago and to be honest, I wish I hadn't. Yes, the action is more precise and it is obvious that it is a quality piece of equipment. For performance driving I could see it being a "must have" modification. But for cruising and daily driving I find it noisy and it actually seems to emphasize the notchy feeling of the transmission that so many complain about. I keep forgetting that the centering spring is stronger than stock so several times I've ended up starting from third while thinking I had put it in first.

The shorter throw is only noticeable if you're thinking about it - that's a good thing because it feels very natural (it's not so short that it would feel like a major change).

The people at MGW are amazing to deal with. George even called me to discuss my shift knob selection and ended up sending me their new "gripper" knob (a textured composite round ball with a pony logo medallion on top) and I love it.

The performance shop I had do the installation (I have no way to raise the car enough to get my fat butt underneath... besides I'm getting older) didn't seem to follow all the instructions. I had to pull off the console and boot when I got home to adjust the lockout screw because getting into first and second involved brute force. I found that they hadn't seated the rubber boot properly and they hadn't put the factory sound deadener on top of the MGW stuff as they should. Fixing those things made a difference and it is currently acceptable... just not worth the almost $600 it cost in total with installation.

The stock shifter setup may be a bit sloppy but it is smooth enough for my driving style and very quiet. Obviously most members here are more interested in performance and the MGW shifter is a great choice for that use.

2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
GT Member

I say keep driving with it! You'll get used to it and it'll break in more. I bought mine used from someone else here and I've had it for 8 months now and it's not as noisy or notchy as a new one it.
I would describe mine as smooth at stock but with a small click to let you know It's in gear.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Sorry to hear your disappointment, but even sorrier that I didn't see this thread a couple of weeks sooner.

It seems to me that shifting 'needs' for daily driving are more closely aligned with what an endurance road racer or HPDE enthusiast would be looking for than what all the drag racers need. On balance, the need to finish without risking bigger problems cropping up outweighs the fractions of a second "saved".

At least with OE shifters, the way you grip the shift knob also has a lot to do with how likely you'll miss a shift - for instance, on a 4-3 downshift at 85 mph or so (out on a road course) I don't wrap even one finger around the back side of the knob, just push it forward with the palm of my hand letting the shift lever find its own way up the 3-4 gate. Actually, I don't think I really grip the knob with force on any shift as much as I just guide it from one gear to another. That's from going outside a minute ago and shifting up and down through the gears trying to notice what felt natural. I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I actually go anywhere. My point is that when your hand is gripping at the top of the shifter at all tightly, you tend to pull the shifter laterally.

It seems that the price of "precision" in MT shifters is notchiness, and it probably always has been at least to some degree. There may be a DIY way to free up aftermarket shifter action a bit, though doing so would very likely come at some cost in "preciseness of feel".

FWIW, I've missed a handful of shifts over the last 6 years in my '08, which is just enough to tell me that Ford didn't quite get it right. But not so often that I've ever felt the need to go straight to the aftermarket. I have, however, thought about modifying Ford's shifter support arrangement for those rare occasions where I might think that "saving" a couple fractions of a second accelerating up to speed was worthwhile.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
I had the MGW shifter installed a couple of days ago and to be honest, I wish I hadn't. Yes, the action is more precise and it is obvious that it is a quality piece of equipment. For performance driving I could see it being a "must have" modification. But for cruising and daily driving I find it noisy and it actually seems to emphasize the notchy feeling of the transmission that so many complain about. I keep forgetting that the centering spring is stronger than stock so several times I've ended up starting from third while thinking I had put it in first.

The shorter throw is only noticeable if you're thinking about it - that's a good thing because it feels very natural (it's not so short that it would feel like a major change).

The people at MGW are amazing to deal with. George even called me to discuss my shift knob selection and ended up sending me their new "gripper" knob (a textured composite round ball with a pony logo medallion on top) and I love it.

The performance shop I had do the installation (I have no way to raise the car enough to get my fat butt underneath... besides I'm getting older) didn't seem to follow all the instructions. I had to pull off the console and boot when I got home to adjust the lockout screw because getting into first and second involved brute force. I found that they hadn't seated the rubber boot properly and they hadn't put the factory sound deadener on top of the MGW stuff as they should. Fixing those things made a difference and it is currently acceptable... just not worth the almost $600 it cost in total with installation.

The stock shifter setup may be a bit sloppy but it is smooth enough for my driving style and very quiet. Obviously most members here are more interested in performance and the MGW shifter is a great choice for that use.
The thing about installing an MGW is that it takes time. I worked as a dealership tech for eight years, and I understand the mindset in the head of your wrench turner when he pulled your car in.

I would be willing to be there's no dynamat on the bottom of the shift housing nor is the lower heat shield in place, as that is a serious pain to install. You cannot properly adjust and install the MGW in less than two hours, period, unless you've done several. It's a lot of small, detailed steps aside from the obvious onext, which is simply bolting the new shifter in place of the old.

Regarding effort to pull it into first, I fully agree. Their spring rates are too high for daily driving. I removed the lower end cap from the 1-2 return spring which pushes the shifter back to center before ever installing it. I have no issues there, but used to occasionally hit 4th instead of 6th because I didn't do the same thing with the opposite centering spring. Which I'd like to do, honestly.

Regarding notchiness and clunking as it shifts, I personally prefer that. There is tactile and audible certainty the moment the trans is fully in gear.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page