Ford Mustang Forum banner

Shifter For Daily Driver

Tags
shifter
10K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  Strange Mud 
#1 ·
I have seen various threads singing the praises of aftermarket shifters but also mentioning things like noise and vibration. I haven't had any trouble with my factory shifter (or trans) but I have noticed that it can be sloppy at times and even prone to selecting the wrong gear when shifting quickly on occasion. The car is a daily driver and although I sometimes get on it when entering the highway, it will never be used for any kind of competition.

I don't really care about a shorter throw although a little shorter wouldn't be bad. I'm looking for more precise action without a noticeable increase in noise or vibration. In fact, I'd rather stay with stock if NVH is an issue with an aftermarket shifter.

So, what are your opinions? Barton? MGW? Steeda? Other?

#32 ·
I keep hearing about MGW, it apparently makes a day and night shifting wise. That's what I plan to put on, but it's sure not an easy install so I'll more than likely need a shop. Apparently it solves the notchy feeling in the TR6060, I dunno about the M82 but I'm sure it would improve it.

#33 ·
All of the discussion to this point has been about their MT82 shifter. The GT500 shifter is a completely different device. I actually haven't heard too many complaints about the stock shifter for the GT500.

#34 ·
I've heard the MGW solves the annoying 2nd gear grind which the TR6060 has. I mean I have to yank it into 2nd if I'm going faster than 20 MPH, or down shifting into 2nd, and if I'm getting on it, you REALLY have to yank it into 2nd. I've just been reading the MGW helps a lot with the 2nd gear grind.

#35 ·
Is the MGW the one that's compatible with the aluminum 401A shift knob? Not a total deal breaker but I like the look of it and having paid a premium for it I don't want to have to turn around and buy a replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.