Shifter For Daily Driver - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Shifter For Daily Driver

I have seen various threads singing the praises of aftermarket shifters but also mentioning things like noise and vibration. I haven't had any trouble with my factory shifter (or trans) but I have noticed that it can be sloppy at times and even prone to selecting the wrong gear when shifting quickly on occasion. The car is a daily driver and although I sometimes get on it when entering the highway, it will never be used for any kind of competition.

I don't really care about a shorter throw although a little shorter wouldn't be bad. I'm looking for more precise action without a noticeable increase in noise or vibration. In fact, I'd rather stay with stock if NVH is an issue with an aftermarket shifter.

So, what are your opinions? Barton? MGW? Steeda? Other?

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
Apprentice

MGW. Best mod I've done to date. You won't understand until you see it. It's the real deal.

2011 Black Mustang Premium M6
BBK shorty's, BBK catted Xpipe, Magnaflow Streets, Airaid CAI, SR LCA's, MGW Shifter, MPT 93 tune, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, SHR Louvers, 3.7 badges.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
Apprentice

I wasn't sure I wanted to go full whack with a short shifter ($ and the fact that the shifts are already pretty short), but I had some of the same issues as the OP. So I installed the Steeda shifter bracket with the harder of the two supplied bushings. The shifts are smoother, more positive, and more accurate, although care still does need to be taken. (I think I will install the Whiteline transmission mount bushing to take out that last bit of movement in the driveline). NVH has noticeably increased. Some of the new sounds are good...like the slight gear whine upon acceleration...but driveline clunks and clanks are increased and even the exhaust (I am running GT500 AB's) is more intense. I'm OK with all of this as I feel I have added back some of the mechanical soul that is engineered out of modern cars. There is also a softer bushing (that is still way harder than the OEM marshmallow) that apparently gives virtually the same improvements in shifting without any increased NVH. Overall, I feel that the bracket is a good first step for those who want to improve the shifting experience without making the much larger investment that is the short shifter itself. On the other hand, the fact that I am clicking on short shift threads means that I still feel there is room for improvement.

2013 GT 6MT (Black)

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
GT Member

MGW! It would be exactly what you're looking for.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
GT Member

Mgw

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Although I never had any problem with the stock shifter, I went ahead and installed a Hurst about two years ago. It is more precise than the OE unit, but didn't 'set the world on fire'.
If I hadn't gotten a nice discount on the shifter, I probably would still be satisfied with the stocker.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
Apprentice

If you do go with the MGW, I will guarantee you won't miss third again!!

2011 Black Mustang Premium M6
BBK shorty's, BBK catted Xpipe, Magnaflow Streets, Airaid CAI, SR LCA's, MGW Shifter, MPT 93 tune, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, SHR Louvers, 3.7 badges.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
MACH I Member

I didn't change my shifter, but I did replace the shifter bushing with a Steeda one. I just couldn't stand how ****** the stock shift bushing is. I felt somewhat offended to have that part on my car.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
PONY Member

I guess im one of the odd men out because I actually like the factory shifter, and have never missed a gear or had problems with it. Ive raced fox body and SN95 Mustangs for years and always thrown a short throw in them, but this stock shifter seems far superior then any of the other stock shifters Ive ever had. Now I did buy my car used, and havent pulled the cover. I might just have a aftermarket shifter under there. It wouldnt surprise me with the way people talk about the stocker. Maybe I will do it this weekend just to take a peek.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...
PONY Member

I daily drive an MGW car.

Get one.

Install the heatshield, extra sound insulation, and dynamat (all included in the price) exactly where their 45 minute long installation video tells you to, and it will be every bit as quiet and smooth as the factory one. There's a tactile "clunk" felt in the shifter when it drops into gear solidly, like slapping the bolt closed on a hunting rifle. But unless the car is off, you'll never hear that. You'll feel the shifter saying that yes, the car is 100% certainly locked into this gear, on each and every shift, instead.

Put differently, it has a world class gearshift now. Like an M-series BMW or a Miata, it just works. You stop thinking about getting the shifts "just right" and just flick the lever straight forward to slip into third, for example.

I bought the most expensive shifter (MGW) and most expensive axleback, and I'm thrilled with both choices!

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntoy View Post
I daily drive an MGW car.

Get one.

Install the heatshield, extra sound insulation, and dynamat (all included in the price) exactly where their 45 minute long installation video tells you to, and it will be every bit as quiet and smooth as the factory one. There's a tactile "clunk" felt in the shifter when it drops into gear solidly, like slapping the bolt closed on a hunting rifle. But unless the car is off, you'll never hear that. You'll feel the shifter saying that yes, the car is 100% certainly locked into this gear, on each and every shift, instead.

Put differently, it has a world class gearshift now. Like an M-series BMW or a Miata, it just works. You stop thinking about getting the shifts "just right" and just flick the lever straight forward to slip into third, for example.

I bought the most expensive shifter (MGW) and most expensive axleback, and I'm thrilled with both choices!
Here you go man! I was lucky enough to be living in Augusta, GA at the time so I dropped by their warehouse and had them install everything personally (the guy in the video). Absolutely love the new shifter! It was funny because it litteraly just a warehouse (with an awesome BOSS 302r in the back). He was kind enough to give me a tour of their manufacturing plant while the parts were installed. Great guys and service and product.
2010-Present Mustang Accessories

ROUSH Road Crew Member
2012 ROUSH RS3: 12-0104 (540HP 465 FT/LBS)
Phase I Upgrade Installed (575HP 505 FT/LBS)
Phase 3 Upgrade Installed (675HP 585FT/LBS)
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Dynotec 1 Piece aluminum drive shaft
STEEDA 1 Piece drive shaft safety loop
StangHI Performance Tune (700HP 605FT/LBS)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
I guess im one of the odd men out because I actually like the factory shifter, and have never missed a gear or had problems with it.
Same experience here. However, I disconnected skip shift and did replace the factory shifter bushing with the Energy Suspension one. Easy $18 upgrade and a noticeable improvement with these simple mods.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

One more vote for MGW.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Apprentice

MGW, sweet as *****.......

AirRaid CAI, FRPP lca's, Sequential tails, BBK headers & catted x-pipe, Hot Rod Cams, FRPP axle-backs, MGW shifter, 20" bullets, Bama Tune, Eibach Pro Susp Pkg.
Apprentice

I went barton. Shorter throw than MGW and easier install. Plus cheaper and I don't have to wait for it to be made to order. It performs great. Yes there is noise but it's minimal. I made a long review about it somewhere on this site. Might be worth searching for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page