Is revving the car to max in neutral okay as it has a limiter? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Revving the engine to redline in neutral isn't going to hurt anything. The rev limiter/fuel cutoff will happen long before any damage is done to the engine. It's set there from the factory for a reason. There is virtually no load on the engine when revving in neutral and there is more potential for engine damage from over revving in gear while under acceleration (max load) than in neutral. You will not float the valves and you will not "stretch the rods" as long as the factory rev limit hasn't been changed.

That being said, I completely agree with the others about having no real reason to rev it that high in neutral.
That's what I figured, it has natural protections built in which is why the limiter is there. If say someone was to magically down shift into 1st @ 60 mph, I could see the serious damage obviously as you are going past the red-line. Anyway, I set my shift light to 5300 RPM which is the highest I will rev it in neutral now, and the audible tone to the same, but that tone you can't hear unless windows are up and radio off, so meh, light is good enough. Haven't even put 800 miles on the car so I am sure all is good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
If say someone was to magically down shift into 1st @ 60 mph,
Anybody that does that should be knocked silly and have their car taken away from them.

post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Anybody that does that should be knocked silly and have their car taken away from them.
Exactly my point, you would literally have to FORCE it into first, but I know ricers who do it all the time....that is what would beat the rev limiter, screw up your trans, motor, and clutch. Even when I tried shifting into 1st to get a big "boost" @ 18 mph I felt a lot of resistance so I didn't, clearly 1st gear is just to get GOING.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

reving in neutral doesn't give the right sound anyway, engine needs to be under load to hear the true beauty of it

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Thumbs down

It's been covered but why in hell would you want to do this to your car while it's in neutral? Revving the hell out of it with no load on the engine could spell disaster. Maybe nothing will ever happen but with no load this is when parts tend to fail.
Don't be an A/H just to impress some guys who could care less if your engine quits. Just my opinion.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
reving in neutral doesn't give the right sound anyway, engine needs to be under load to hear the true beauty of it
This is damn true. Anyway I've set my shift indicator to 5400RPM as shifts come so fast, and max I will rev it to now is 5400. Otherwise I'll be like hop in and check your heart.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard of. It's entirely possible that the engine won't be damaged by going this, but to me it's one of those 'just because you can doesn't mean you should' things.
BOSS Member

Garage
If you rev the engine straight to 7000 rpms from a cold crank you can really hear all the internal parts singing.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I will say to all those who ask the OP why.....who here hasn't occasionally blipped/reved their engines just to hear them?

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I will say to all those who ask the OP why.....who here hasn't occasionally blipped/reved their engines just to hear them?
Sure. When I first got it. 2 or 3 times. No where near the limiter, maybe 3-4k

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
GT Member

You can hurt an engine doing this. Without the load on the motor it's possible to overrun the limiter mechanically. I.e. the engine slings past the limiter speed on momentum. Just stop being a gullible twat and sucumbing to immature peer pressure.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Banned

Quote:
I asked the OP why so I will answer your question. I do rev mine occasionally just to hear it. But it's done at my discretion and it's a part throttle rev to 3-4K max. I don't just floor it 'till it hits the limiter, and that is what the OP was asking about.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

cool, it seemed several of us were slamming him for reving. I know about going to the limit being bad but we all have fun with them.

On a quest for learning besides the danger of an unloaded engine spooling past the red line (which I understand) iwhat is Valve Float and is it bad or just something from the old days?

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Banned

Quote:
cool, it seemed several of us were slamming him for reving. I know about going to the limit being bad but we all have fun with them.

On a quest for learning besides the danger of an unloaded engine spooling past the red line (which I understand) iwhat is Valve Float and is it bad or just something from the old days?
Valve float is when you rev past the point where the valve springs can get the valves closed fast enough before the cam is trying to open the valves again. They "float" open for a bit during the transition between the closing and opening cycles. This is hard on valves, seats and cams. Best case you will just hear some misfiring sounds. In worst case a valve can strike a piston causing some serious damage.
PONY Member

Garage
I had a friend spin a rod bearing doing this in his truck. It was an old Toyota 22RE and he did it twice to check the tach we just installed. Second time started knocking bad. Luckily we were able to replace the bearings with the engine in the truck and it lasted another 100k till he sold it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page