Is revving the car to max in neutral okay as it has a limiter? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Don't do it. Nothing good can come from it.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0, Kona Blue, Auto, Quarter Louvers, Black Bullitt Wheels. GT500 Axleback Exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP. Revving the car in neutral ? What is the point ? granted it does have a rev limiter. But what #$%## an engine is revving it while not under load. Do as you please, but if I am going to rev an engine to max, Ill do it when the tires, are fully engaged.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I do it all the time...................I'm still under that umbrella of a 3 year 36000 warranty though. (as long as they dont check my computer. if they do, the warranty is long gone lol)
I do it when I feel like it, which is often, mostly when Im showing off my exhaust. Although, I think its a bad idea.

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI

Apprentice

Dont really see the point in doing this...a lil rev is fine and shows off the exhaust just fine. But if your driving aggressively, redline it like you own it (and hopefully you do own it lol)
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dprat View Post
I do it all the time...................I'm still under that umbrella of a 3 year 36000 warranty though. (as long as they dont check my computer. if they do, the warranty is long gone lol)
I do it when I feel like it, which is often, mostly when Im showing off my exhaust. Although, I think its a bad idea.
The exhaust (ANY exhaust) sounds FAR better under load. You're just shortening the life of your engine.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I think it's the old money and sense thing. If you can afford the risk...... Have at it!

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
PONY Member

Just amused that this inane thread has so many serious comments/replies...

What next - "can I use diesel fuel just once?"
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan01 View Post
Just amused that this inane thread has so many serious comments/replies...

What next - "can I use diesel fuel just once?"
Yes you can, it has excellent lubricating properties and will allow you to rev your engine to the limiter while in neutral.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
BOSS Member

Garage
People like the OP are the reason why I don't buy used cars.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post

Excellent Point!

Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Oh good lord, it hit the limiter for a split second and now I've set indicator to 5400 RPM lol. It was also just when in neutral, nothing bad happened. I am guessing people are talking about the 5.0 when they are saying 7,000RPM.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

After a crazy week at work, this thread is what I needed.

BTW, as stated, the exhaust sounds so much better under load. I've blipped the throttle and it sounds OK. But, punch it in 2nd and OMG the ensuing awesomeness is pure magic.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
Oh good lord, it hit the limiter for a split second and now I've set indicator to 5400 RPM lol. It was also just when in neutral, nothing bad happened. I am guessing people are talking about the 5.0 when they are saying 7,000RPM.
Don't blame Ford for your belt problem, that's all on you.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Don't blame Ford for your belt problem, that's all on you.
OP also has another Thread complaining about his belt shredding prematurely. Lol 2+2=

post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBillyPaul View Post
OP also has another Thread complaining about his belt shredding prematurely. Lol 2+2=
So you honestly think that blipping the throttle to the set rev limit for a split second caused a belt to shred? Really? Lol. I've even talked to the Ford service manager and he said doing that for a second is not going to hurt it, the limiter is there for a reason and unless you are constantly doing it and holding it down, there should be no issues, I dunno about on your 5.0's though. Then again I don't plan to do it anymore anyway, reason I set the indicators.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page