Is revving the car to max in neutral okay as it has a limiter? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Is revving the car to max in neutral okay as it has a limiter?

Was just wanting to make sure revving the car to max for a second in neutral is fine for the engine. I know it has a rev limiter so I figured it is a-ok, but just wanted to double check as everyone that comes up wants me to pop the hood and let them hear how crazy sick the motor sounds.

This is on a GT-500, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

idk but I wouldn't...a blip to 4-5K is what I would do. I've heard it was bad (something about floating?) but don't know.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
Banned

What's the point of doing this in the first place? And no, I would not do it either. Do it enough and there is a risk of floating valves and stretching rods, IMO.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
What's the point of doing this in the first place?
people want to hear it
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
everyone that comes up wants me to pop the hood and let them hear how crazy sick the motor sounds.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
What's the point of doing this in the first place?
Why??

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Seems like a dumb thing to do just because people are asking for you to do it.tell them to rev there own car at max rev.if I did burn outs every time someone ask I would be buying tires every week.I don't do it!!
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Lol alright, I've only done it a few times, I can't see why it would hurt the motor as the limiter is there, but good to know. Even talked to a Ford service guy and he was like it shouldn't do any harm. Btw you have to rev past 4-5k to actually get the S\C going which is the thing everyone wants to hear :P

I could see floating if you were to HOLD it on the rev limiter, that would make sense, but you'd have to be stupid to do that. Regardless I think I'll set the RPM max indicator lamp and turn on the tone to max 5500RPM to avoid hitting the limiter ever. Anybody recall how to do that? I haven't set mine up yet.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
Lol alright, I've only done it a few times, I can't see why it would hurt the motor as the limiter is there, but good to know. Even talked to a Ford service guy and he was like it shouldn't do any harm. Btw you have to rev past 4-5k to actually get the S\C going which is the thing everyone wants to hear :P

I could see floating if you were to HOLD it on the rev limiter, that would make sense, but you'd have to be stupid to do that.
So why did you ask for peoples opinions again?

I'd ask your Ford service guy if this would be benificial for your engine. Then ask him to rev his cars engine in neutral till it bounces off the limiter.

I wouldn't do it to any of my engines and I've walked away from purchases because the seller has done that in front of me.

Just drive the thing!

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
So why did you ask for peoples opinions again?

I'd ask your Ford service guy if this would be benificial for your engine. Then ask him to rev his cars engine in neutral till it bounces off the limiter.

I wouldn't do it to any of my engines and I've walked away from purchases because the seller has done that in front of me.

Just drive the thing!
Because I was curious but the floating bit confused me, I mean the limiter is there to prevent damage, right?

Anyway does anybody recall how to set the max RPM indicator lamp\sound warning? Shifting in the GT-500 RPMS come up so fast I'd like to get a quicker warning with an audible sound which I know all Mustangs have an option for...at least I think.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Strangely enough, setting the shift light is covered in the owner's manual (what a surprise). In the Settings menu, select Vehicle then Shiftpoint then you can set the light on/off, the tone on/off and the RPM to activate.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre View Post
people want to hear it
Have whoever wants to hear it sit face level between both exhaust tips about 4 feet away. Run the engine between 1500 and 3000 rpm's. That should suffice for anyone to get what they ask for.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusman59 View Post
Have whoever wants to hear it sit face level between both exhaust tips about 4 feet away. Run the engine between 1500 and 3000 rpm's. That should suffice for anyone to get what they ask for.
When it's a Shelby it's the super-charger everyone wants to hear, exhaust is exhaust, and mine does have the SVT tuned exhaust. My prior ride was an SRT-8 6.1l Challenger w\ Super 10 mufflers + 1 inch turn downs prior to them.

Loud as hell, always drew attention due to the exhaust sound, but with the GT-500, it's the first car I'm not sure about putting a louder exhaust (prob boss 302 style sides) on it, as the super-charger whine is so addicting and awesome.

My father has a CTS-V and his super-charger is DEAD quiet, even though it's making 560HP\560TQ. I personally LOVE the whine and to me that is what really turns heads.

If I DID do one it would have to be the Boss 302 style quad exits with the plates that can change the sound.
BOSS Member

There's a different between reving an engine through its power band (say up to 4500 rpm) and putting your foot in it waiting for the rev limiter to kick in....that show you can kill an engine because of the no-load condition and 2ndly.......you're relying on a piece of IT equipment to keep you from damaging your engine........not smart....unless you don't care about your car.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
BOSS Member

Garage
Revving the engine to redline in neutral isn't going to hurt anything. The rev limiter/fuel cutoff will happen long before any damage is done to the engine. It's set there from the factory for a reason. There is virtually no load on the engine when revving in neutral and there is more potential for engine damage from over revving in gear while under acceleration (max load) than in neutral. You will not float the valves and you will not "stretch the rods" as long as the factory rev limit hasn't been changed.

That being said, I completely agree with the others about having no real reason to rev it that high in neutral.
GT Member
5.0L Member

Isnt bouncing off the limiter a ricer thing? Braaa ba ba ba ba ba ba ba

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page