So...who is concerned about '15 Challenger? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
Having owned an SRT-8 for 4 years yeah, I agree, def more of a cruiser. You don't feel bumps but always have a big V-8 on tap for power. I'd agree the Mustang in general is a Sports car, Challenger is a muscle, but that thing is so well insulated you have zero road noise, you don't hear rain taps, and even with 1000w subwoofer the car barely rattles. Def a cruiser, but the 6.4l can bruise for sure, I don't see many 5.0's beating out the 392 6.4l's, but then again with the price range naturally the 392 should be an ass whooper as currently (until '15's come out) it's way more expensive.

Of course now that the R\T is getting the option of the 6.4l and the insane new 8-speed....the automatic version is going to be a monster. 8-speed autos like the ZF-8 you have to drive them vs the prior gen (same motor, not same trans) and good lord always at peak power. I LOVED the 5.7l RAM w\ the 8-speed, vs the 5-speed in the 14 and below the 8-speed cuts almost 2-3 seconds off 0-60. The Jeep SRT-8 w\ 8 speed vs the 5-speed, just good lord. So many gears so you are always @ peak power in the rpm band + 250ms shifts, blazing fast.

I dunno how fast the 8-speed is in the Chevy stingrays, but I'm guessing they more than likely use the ZF-8 as well, it's rated up to I think 800lbs of tq.

Bring it on, I'll line up against a 392 any day, his Challenger was quick, but I think my old '04 'Vette was quicker. My BOSS for sure would walk all over it. The beauty of the BOSS is that TORSEN diff keeps it planted and churning out the power, you can just FEEL how hard it plants you in the seat when running it redline in each gear.

According to their own forums, the SRT 8 Challenger is a 13.4 second car stock, my best run with the 'Vette on street rubber was 12.8 seconds. I've never run the BOSS on the strip, but my buddies say on street rubber, low twelves, on drag radials in the 11's stock. We've known this for years, you don't need large displacement engines to get low 1/4's, in fact due to volumetric efficiency, those big bores work against you NA, now with a blower, that a whole nuther story................

Of course, I've told Tom, the owner of the screaming Yellow Challenger SRT 8, I got first DIBS buying it, it is a SWEET looking car, it would look good sitting next to my BOSS in the garage, and my wife would love it!

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

My work car is a 2014 Nissan Versa Note (107 hp) that I can't go full throttle with due to speed cameras and Police so I'm not worried about anyone and their wasted horsepower.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
I swapped from a SRT to a GT-500, and I love, though my first "real" manual sports car. My question is, when the R\T getting the 475HP\485HPTQ motor option (same as the lower trim srt) is anyone worried? Then of course comes along the Hellcat, which as a Challenger owner has ALWAYS been talk (as I switched they all kinda hate me now). It's official now and has two fobs just like the Boss 302. And is the first super-charged HEMI ever. The induction from the front head-lamps to me seems CRAZY but makes SO much sense. I know at minimum they are saying 670HP and 670TQ, as it is a heavier car. I do love how they announce it though. 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat - YouTube

It does seem like a complete monster though. Plus the R\T is getting the option of the 6.4l HEMI, and the gorgeous new interior as does the Mustang, but to me, the real deal, is the link above...first s\c HEMI ever and it is, without a doubt, going to be more powerful than the 8.4l VIPER motor. boy do they say it well, I love the end quote. Notice how they totally copied the Boss 302's key fobs.
Big numbers but then those cars have some big heft. I doubt they'll be much of a challenge to their direct competitors (5.0 and GT500) due to sheer mass, unless they've slimmed down somehow. We'll see sooner or later.

But it is good to see them finally getting onboard in the modern horsepower wars. I wish a few more American V8 models would get in on it, but then Camaro, Challenger, Charger, and Mustang might be about all we have left these days, except perhaps Corvette and Viper?

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13 View Post
According to their own forums, the SRT 8 Challenger is a 13.4 second car stock
I know of a few modded N/A V6 Mustangs that are faster than that

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Great looking car, but I'm true to my roots and I prefer the Ford Mustang.
Couldn't care less about being the fastest or not, as you'll always have someone with a faster ride.
Just have to enjoy what we have, and I do enjoy my Mustang very much.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Great looking car, but I'm true to my roots and I prefer the Ford Mustang.
Couldn't care less about being the fastest or not, as you'll always have someone with a faster ride.
Just have to enjoy what we have, and I do enjoy my Mustang very much.

I concur. I'm not trying to be the fastest, I just love the Mustang design. The power is just a bonus.

1993 Reef Blue Notch 5.0, flowmaster three chamber cat backs, K+N air, 3.73, cobra clutch, 158k and still kicking. 2014 Mustang GT prem., Black, Brembo, manual, 3.73 gear, fog-light tint, new GT floormats, led license plate bulbs, Jlt oil separator, K&N drop-in air filter, SickSpeed black shifter knob with red shift pattern, GT 500 axle backs, locking gas cap, painted MMD quarter window covers, Roush chin splitter, red Lethal Performance windshield banner, SHR black fuel door.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

my only concern is that I don't have enough money

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownpete View Post
My work car is a 2014 Nissan Versa Note (107 hp) that I can't go full throttle with due to speed cameras and Police so I'm not worried about anyone and their wasted horsepower.
Im sorry for speed cameras and your work car
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Mustang family through and through here, so no worries.

I will say that I love the way the Challenger line looks, but too pricey for what they offer in performance.
I wouldn't mind having one someday, I just couldn't justify the expense. Heck, I can rarely use the 420hp I have now!!

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
PONY Member

Concerned? About what?

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Apprentice

Garage
I just hope this helps make the next Mustang Cobra/GT 500/SVT a twin turbo 5.0 that puts 600+ HP to the wheels.

14' GT Premium, 400A, Oxford White, 6M, Track Package, Comfort Package.
MODS: FRPP 2.3L Whipple / FRPP GT500 Axle Back / FRPP Short throw shifter with bracket / FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack / American Racing Long Tube Headers (with H-Pipe) / BMR LCA with relocation brackets / BMR UCA with mount / DSS 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft / McLeod Flywheel & RST Twin Disc Clutch / Forgestar Piano Black CF5V 19x9, 19x10 / MT 305/35ZR19 ET Radial & MT 255/40ZR19 Street Comp Tires
PONY Member

I'm not concerned about it but I would love to have one. I almost bought a Challenger instead of the Mustang. The Mustang's cheaper price with more horsepower finally won me over but I still cruise the Challenger forums and occasionally stop at the Dodge dealer to look at them. One day I will have one.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I do wish Ford would go more "retro" though, the Challenger is a total throw-back to the muscle era, it would be interesting if Ford made a "RETRO" version on the side, like how the Challenger body cues are identical to the 71. < 71 Mustang

Then again I'm a sucker for retro and older styling.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Well after looking at the 2015 Mustang,I think Ford is going in the wrong direction,looks like our retro look is on the way out,I also like the retro look of the Challanger,brings back fond memories of my youth,you know that stop light to stop light thing of years ago,but I have my 11 GT and I go back to my youth everytime I turn the key.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

They are going to be as much or more than the Mustang GT500, and while those all sold, they sold a little slower than Ford would have liked. That said, there is limited market for guys that want a Challenger that cost over $60k to go with the gas guzzler tax.. These cars are slowly getting out of the reach of the buyer actually shopping the car, much less the brand.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page