Are you KIDDING ME? Pulleys are shredding at just 18k!?!? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Are you KIDDING ME? Pulleys are shredding at just 18k!?!?

Okay..so I switched to Ford from SRT Dodge for reliability...I let my buddy pop the hood and make sure everything is fine...then we see this crap.

VERY pissed off. Car only has 18k, GT-500, apparently hand-built still means complete bull-crap can occur. Belts\pulleys should NEVER go this soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
Chill out a little bit. Regardless of what's wrong the dealer will fix it for free as long as the warranty isn't void. Yes that belt should last quite a while BUT, take a few minutes to look around with a mirror and a flash light to see if there is anything that's chafing the belt. Maybe that tensioner pulley is bad, maybe not. Maybe it's just a connector hanging in the way. Maybe it's just a crappy belt. If you don't see anything obvious look and see if there are any funny wear marks on any of the pulleys. If not then just replace the belt and keep an eye on it for a while. If it starts again then take it in and have it looked at.

Just don't drive it until you put a new belt on.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Ford did not make the belt, they are made by someone else and then FoMoCo or Motorcraft is put on it. Also the pulley is fine, belt is shredding, big difference.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'd be somewhat upset, too, if that were my car. I'd spend my energy (politely) complaining to my Ford dealer's service department, though, rather than an internet forum. I figure the car would get fixed faster at the dealer.
I hope you get a new belt and assurance that it was either just a bad one, or maybe one of the pulleys is simply slightly misaligned.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014
MACH I Member

I hate seeing things like this. However, I think initial quality is a problem for most major auto manufacturers these days.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
Okay..so I switched to Ford from SRT Dodge for reliability...I let my buddy pop the hood and make sure everything is fine...then we see this crap.

VERY pissed off. Car only has 18k, GT-500, apparently hand-built still means complete bull-crap can occur. Belts\pulleys should NEVER go this soon.

Maybe revving it up to 7k in neutral caused this?

Haha j/k

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by daustin View Post
Maybe revving it up to 7k in neutral caused this?

Haha j/k

You can rev the car to 7k? O.O Anyway sorry yeah this was a ragey post, it was right after a night of lots of tequila and when we popped the hood and he pointed that I was just like

Apparently it's not that bad at all and fraying on the side is somewhat normal? Would you guys get it replaced or just snip it and keep going?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would get it looked at. That is not normal and you should really determine the cause before it gets worse and possibly breaks.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Not good form to get upset and act all irritated at the dealer's service guys. It's not their fault after all.

There are a lot of things that could cause that light shredding. As mentioned earlier, pulley alignment, tensioner and idler should all be checked. But it could have been a stone that got kicked up at one time.

Also, cheap belts will do that very quickly. I've learned the hard way to buy only the best brand that you can when replacing, like Gates.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Apprentice

Fraying of a new serpentine belt is not "normal", it indicates a poor quality belt. Strands circulating around the engine at high speed could grab hold of anything and cause damage. Either have Ford replace or buy a high quality belt, I never liked Ford belts. Best of luck and yea I'd be really pissed if my $60k car had this wrong.

AirRaid CAI, FRPP lca's, Sequential tails, BBK headers & catted x-pipe, Hot Rod Cams, FRPP axle-backs, MGW shifter, 20" bullets, Bama Tune, Eibach Pro Susp Pkg.
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

This has been resolved.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page