2013 Mustang GT - Knocking wheel noise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 Mustang GT - Knocking wheel noise

Hey,
this is my first post. I'm from germany, sorry if my english is not the best.

Since a few month have a knocking noise from the backwheels, if i drive bad roads, bumps etc. Last time i lifted my car i noticed that i can pull/push the backwhells a bit in- and outside. Many Mustang-owners told me, this ist normal. But it made the same noise, i hear when i'm driving. When i'm driving trough corners it is getting better...so i think that is the problem. I think in corners the wheels can not move in and out, because they are at the maximum (in or out).

Few month ago i was on a racetrack and one time in a corner i get of the track and slide in the gras. Could it be, that i damaged somathing? The Diff? I never saw anything. Also i added some wheelspacers (1 inch per wheel), could that be a problem?

I heard, that the Diff keep the wheels in the axle and if they are moving to much, the Diff is the problem. By the way, since this time a little bit oil comes out of the Diff (Seal: Diff - Shaft). I fixed this allready.

Regards!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the site!
It may be worn out bearings like the outer wheel bearings or the differential bearings. It could also be the pinion bearing. It could be a broken tooth on the ring or pinion gears as well. The axle shafts are held in the axle housing with clips on each shaft inside the differential housing. I believe there is supposed to be a very small amount of movement in and out. The spacers will stress the wheel bearings so if you hit one of the wheels with something then it may have damaged a bearing.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you

Is a damage on a wheel bearing visible if i remove the wheel and wheel spacers or can i test it somehow?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Typically, no. If damage were visible to the actual bearing then the car usually wouldn't travel very far before completely destroying the bearing. Also, you would have to pull the shafts from the tubes to physically look at the bearings. If you jack up the car and have any obvious up and down movement of the wheel then the bearing is bad but even without any movement it can still be bad.
The spacers will make any potential for damage to your bearings that much greater since they put more leverage and stress on them. If you hit a rock or had too much sideways force applied to one of the wheels during your spinout/loss of control then it could have damaged the wheel bearings. When it comes to axles I would recommend that you bring it into the dealer since the differential would need precise alignment if they take it apart to inspect it and readjust anything. The outer wheel bearings themselves are relatively simple but it's a messy job and it takes time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Yup...go get your axles pulled, and get rid of those spacers on track!!! They just put undue stress on your diff with all that extra track width, and no extra tire width.

There will always be some movement- it's a C-Clip live axle after all...

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page