Drag race advice for first time with 2011 GT - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I went out last night and practiced launching, even with the 3.31's (I couldn't even imagine if I had 3.73's) I couldn't get traction for anything. Im going to have to go just about idle and nail it, but even then its spins. That was with advancedtrac off. I wonder how it would do with traction control on? But I know that takes timing away, because when advancedtrac is off, my car runs completely different. Like its got way more power. I guess I could try sport mode, but I forgot exactly what that was setup for.
Im nervous, If I don't run a decent time, im gonna be seriously disappointed and lose some love for the car. Up until now Ive loved the thing. I want to put attention towards it and stay away from rock crawling, but I do miss crawling.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Back when my car was stock, and it has the A6, my quickest ET was with traction control turned on.

2011 Mustang GT, A6,Vortech by Beefcake, Beefcake Torque Booster, Circle D 2C, P305/35R18 M/T Street Radial IIs, Ford FRPP Springs, BMR Panhard Bar, BMR UCA and LCAs, DSS Shaft, Koni yellows, Lethal OR-H and OAP, Flowmaster Hushpowers
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Back when my car was stock, and it has the A6, my quickest ET was with traction control turned on.
That's interesting. It seems to me that having it on pulls some timing or power from the car. Hopefully I will get to have at least 3 runs in and I will try at least one of them with it on.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I've seen a lot of people recommend running with traction control on. I prefer using it. Have you tried deflating your tires a little as suggested, to get in some practice that way? Find a local fuel station with an air pump when you're finished.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ya im going to air down to like 28 or 30psi after I get tech'd in and everything. Its going to be weird airing down a Mustang, since ive been airing down 35" mud tires to 10psi for so long now. LOL
I just hope I can get by with my helmet. I went out and bought a new one at the local motorcycle shop. Its 2014 DOT certified, but Gateway says they want your helmets to be 2005 or 2010 snell certified. I would think that a 2014 DOT certification would be better then the older Snell certs, but I don't know. From my understanding some people get by with them just taking a look at your helmet while others inspect them.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Rookie

Don't forget track is alot stickier than the street, at least the one I went to was.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

the stickier the better, because I cant hook up for anything. I have a feeling after tonight my next mod is going to be a MGW short throw, the some upper and lower control arms and eventually some drag radials. I don't go to the track that much though, so I might start with spring. Heck I don't know.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Comer View Post
What was your 60ft with traction control on?

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
Ya im going to air down to like 28 or 30psi after I get tech'd in and everything. Its going to be weird airing down a Mustang, since ive been airing down 35" mud tires to 10psi for so long now. LOL
I just hope I can get by with my helmet. I went out and bought a new one at the local motorcycle shop. Its 2014 DOT certified, but Gateway says they want your helmets to be 2005 or 2010 snell certified. I would think that a 2014 DOT certification would be better then the older Snell certs, but I don't know. From my understanding some people get by with them just taking a look at your helmet while others inspect them.
Dont worry about the helmet, not one track Ive been to has ever inspected my helmet. Hell, a couple of tracks Ive been to just ignored it when I started going through WITHOUT a helmet.

I dont like driving with a motorcycle helmet because the top of my head hits the roof of the car. Im going to look into getting a smaller, auto helmet.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If that track is NHRA, you will almost definitely need that Snell rating. I recommend emailing or giving them a call ahead of time, in case you need to buy a new helmet.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
the stickier the better, because I cant hook up for anything. I have a feeling after tonight my next mod is going to be a MGW short throw, the some upper and lower control arms and eventually some drag radials. I don't go to the track that much though, so I might start with spring. Heck I don't know.
Those are a good list of mods, also dont forget a barton bracket and look into the whiteline transmission bushing. Those two will turn your transmission into a whole different feel entirely.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

California and Arizona tend to inspect. Most of the tracks out this way are pretty iron-fisted where helmet safety is concerned. Not a bad thing to be strict about. I'd rather make it out alive, should something go wrong and I smack the wall or the other driver smack me.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
If that track is NHRA, you will almost definitely need that Snell rating. I recommend emailing or giving them a call ahead of time, in case you need to buy a new helmet.
Have you ever had a track official ask to see your helmet?

In the last 12 month Ive been to MIR and Mason Dixon on several occasions and made 40 combined passes. Not once has someone asked to inspect my helmet. Prior to that at LACR and Irwindale in CA, not a peep has been made about my helmet.

Take a helmet and you will be fine.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
Have you ever had a track official ask to see your helmet?

In the last 12 month Ive been to MIR and Mason Dixon on several occasions and made 40 combined passes. Not once has someone asked to inspect my helmet. Prior to that at LACR and Irwindale in CA, not a peep has been made about my helmet.

Take a helmet and you will be fine.
Yes. 1/8 mile track at Qualcomm stadium in California, hosted by www.racelegal.com.

Because of this, I called Firebird Raceway in Phoenix (1/4 mile track), to ask their policy and practices, and they told me to not waste my time showing up without at least a 2010 Snell rating clearly printed somewhere on the helmet.

Sounds like Virginia is a lot more lenient.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

SCCA Autocross out here is fine with most helmets, though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page