Drag race advice for first time with 2011 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Drag race advice for first time with 2011 GT

Well it looks like tomorrow night im FINALLY going to get to test my car at the track and get some baseline runs.
I was wondering what you guys are shifting at for optimum power? Car has stock 3.31's, Bama tune, Steeda Cold air, and axlebacks. I figured someone could give me some good advise.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

First things first: what kind of tires are you running? This will affect your launch RPM.

Secondly, do you have any suspension or performance modifications/after market bolt-on's?

This will help someone supply good answers for you.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I see a few mod's in your post. Is this all of them?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
Apprentice

Garage
Launch around 2800 RPMS your first go and run it up to 6900 rpms.

I have done my best (with my mods) side stepping the clutch at 3200 rpms and running it up to around 7100 rpms.

11.9x at 116.xx mph with 1.71 60 ft.

Most of my runs are not shifted perfect or the traction was not perfect so 12.2x range is the normal range for me. I'm sure great drivers could stay in the 11's with my car.

14' GT Premium, 400A, Oxford White, 6M, Track Package, Comfort Package.
MODS: FRPP 2.3L Whipple / FRPP GT500 Axle Back / FRPP Short throw shifter with bracket / FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack / American Racing Long Tube Headers (with H-Pipe) / BMR LCA with relocation brackets / BMR UCA with mount / DSS 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft / McLeod Flywheel & RST Twin Disc Clutch / Forgestar Piano Black CF5V 19x9, 19x10 / MT 305/35ZR19 ET Radial & MT 255/40ZR19 Street Comp Tires
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Will his tires hook at 2800 RPM on launch? If he's running factory Pirellis, he'll likely have a little spin at that range. Might cost him in the 60ft. It's not a bad launching point, but he might fare better around 2K, if his tires are factory.

I realize I'm running a V6, so apples to oranges, but with my 3:55's, I couldn't get my 245 Pirellis (GT/CS 19" take-off's) to hook solidly at anything more than 1,500K RPM, and that's with maybe 60-100 HP less at the rear wheels than a GT.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yes im running the stock Pirelli's, sorry that would have been useful information to begin with.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
Apprentice

Garage
Well...while I just side step the clutch (with what I have) I would not recommend you side stepping the clutch. Just let off the clutch while adding "feathered" gas through first gear and see what happens when you throw it in to 2nd at 6900.

Depending on the track and how much of a burn out you do will determine how well you hold in 2nd gear.

MODS: FRPP 2.3L Whipple / FRPP GT500 Axle Back / FRPP Short throw shifter with bracket / FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack / American Racing Long Tube Headers (with H-Pipe) / BMR LCA with relocation brackets / BMR UCA with mount / DSS 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft / McLeod Flywheel & RST Twin Disc Clutch / Forgestar Piano Black CF5V 19x9, 19x10 / MT 305/35ZR19 ET Radial & MT 255/40ZR19 Street Comp Tires
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

So about 6900 is good eh. Thanks thats what I needed to know. Oh and we cant burn out in the water box at least with street tires. I used to get past it and spin them real quick just to clean them off, but ive heard that's unnecessary really. Although I probably will anyway.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
So about 6900 is good eh. Thanks thats what I needed to know. Oh and we cant burn out in the water box at least with street tires. I used to get past it and spin them real quick just to clean them off, but ive heard that's unnecessary really. Although I probably will anyway.
Many here have advised against it as well.

If you get a chance and have a secluded street or county road somewhere that you can be safe and away from other traffic, you might try practicing a few launches, just to get a good feel for what might work and what might not.
Apprentice

Garage
OH!! And drop your rear tire pressure down to about 25-28 psi...I'm guessing you drive around at 35-38.

GT Member
S197 Member

Don't go through the water box

Don't do a burnout- just spin the tires to knock the crap off of them. A big smoky burnout on street tires just makes them greasy

Don't drop your pressure too low- it's a street tire, not a drag tire, maybe 28-30lbs

Launch either off idle or from ~2200rpm. You need a little wheelspin but not too much. If you can get the 60' to ~2.0sec, give yourself a pat on the back. Start your shift at 6.7k or so, depending on your gearing.

Make sure traction control is off

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Be aware of the "groove" and stay in it. I made the mistake of ignoring it my first time to the drag strip, and my tires got "slimed" (melted rubber from the other cars coating my tires) and then I had zero traction. I did do the little wheel spin thing before the starting line, but I think I was putting more crud onto my tires than I was taking off.

If you can get a decent launch, the rest is relatively easy and fun. If you start getting crazy wheelspin, it gets very frustrating and completely spoils the fun.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Rookie

If you're going to Gateway good luck going around the water box. With this heat most of the 5.0's are running 12.8-13.1 when they are around 2.0 60's.

13.6's are common with the guys who can't get traction.
Rookie

I have similar mods and the same gearing as you in my m6 14 GT and last Friday was my first time to the track. I was launching at around 2000 rpm feathering the clutch off the line and had no traction issues. 2.2 sec 60ft. wasn't good but t still ran a 12.9 @ 112 so I was happy.

And don't do a huge burn out on street tires the guy beside me on my first run did this the dumped the clutch @ 4000+ rpm and almost hit the wall. Then repeated the whole process to a t on his 2nd run and the outcome was the same.

But just have fun and follow track etiquette.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks for the opinions guys. I used to race before my second son was born. Ive had a couple cars I used to drag, I just wasn't where to shift at without dropping power and getting out of the band.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page