Cleaning Products - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Cleaning Products

Hey Guys,

Can someone please guide me about some of the cleaning products you guys are using and what works best and also protects the paint.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
PONY Member

NuFinish is what the body shop guy recommended to me for paint protection. But I don't wax mine very often. Honestly I just wash it regurlarly to keep the grime and bugs off and I use soap and water on the wheels only to prevent corrosion.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
PONY Member

This is a copy/paste of a post I made in another thread on AFM:

I'm my opinon there is not one product/brand that is the 'best' for everyone. Each person has different requirements that include: time to apply, cost, final look, etc... so the perfect brand/product will be different for everyone.

After many years of buying/trying products that have great reviews, I have finally come to a point where I'm about 99% happy with my products/process. I can get a nice look, easy to apply, and doesn't require a lot of my time. I don't have a garage and I wash 1-2 times per week. I prefer my car be in "showroom" condition all the time.

Car Wash: Optimum No Rinse. Easy to use, leaves a nice finish, and you can wash your car w/o access to a hose.

Wash Mitt: SM Arnold Sheepswool Wash Mitt. Doesn't shed like crazy. Lasts a long time. Delicate on the paint. (Paint only. Lower plastic parts / wheels / tires get a different mitt).

Drying Towels: Cobra Supreme 530. Come in different sizes. Absorbs well.

Wax: Optimum Car Wax (Spray Wax). Easy to apply. Protects well.

Polish: Optimum Hyper-Polish using buffer. Spray on. Polishes nicely.

Sealant: Optimum Opti-Seal. Easy application. Protects well.

Tire Shine: Optimum Opti-Bond. Water based. Doesn't sling. Nice matte look (You can dilute however you want for more/less sheen).

Interior plastics/vinyl: Aerospace 303. Doesn't leave a greasy feeling. Nice new/matte look.

Windows. Stoners Invisible Glass with a glass cleaning towel. Leaves no streaks and I use it all around the house too

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
PONY Member

So you need to start with figuring out your criteria:

1. How much time are you willing to put toward cleaning your car? Toward waxing your car? Toward polishing your car?

2. How much $$$ are you willing to spend to stock up on products?

3. What is your desired result? Absolutely brand new looking all the time? Looking like new all the time?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
12Pony5.0

Adams.........................
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Car wash - meguiars Gold Class. $9 a gallon great stuff

Mitt - some microfiber thing from autogeek. Works great and lasts

Drying towels - The Absorber. Some people cringe at them. For me it works great. All about technique

Wax - +1 for Optimum. Though I use it as a between booster. Collinite 845 is my primary. Both also work great on black exterior trim as a WOWO. Optimum is also great on vinyl graphics

Polish - meguiars ultimate. I'm sure there are better products but it is a great consumer grade for use with a DA

Sealant - collinite 845, see above

Tire shine - Wolfgang. Expensive but good stuff. No sling no silicone no phony hi gloss shine

Plastics - +1 for 303. I'll use it on my dash, door panels and other interior / exterior plastics

Windows - 50/50 cut of denatured alcohol and distilled water. Add a touch of vinegar if you have water spots

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
PONY Member

Outside
Car Wash - depends whats on sale, usually Meguiars

Wax/Quick Shine- Meguiars or Mothers

Polish - Zaino

I use a plain old 100% cotton bath towel (made in the US only) for washing.

I also dry with the Absorber. No lint like a regular towel.

---------
Interior
Leather - Lexol cleaner/conditioner

Trim - Armor All

2010 Torch Red GT Premium. 5speed, 19", security package, HID's, comfort package, 3.73, American Thunder Flowmasters.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014
Apprentice

Get some cheap, non-abrasive hand cleaner. Slather that on the front and wait a bit. Wash as usual. That stuff really helps on getting those bug splatters off.

2011 Mustang GT, A6,Vortech by Beefcake, Beefcake Torque Booster, Circle D 2C, P305/35R18 M/T Street Radial IIs, Ford FRPP Springs, BMR Panhard Bar, BMR UCA and LCAs, DSS Shaft, Koni yellows, Lethal OR-H and OAP, Flowmaster Hushpowers
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Comer View Post
Get some cheap, non-abrasive hand cleaner. Slather that on the front and wait a bit. Wash as usual. That stuff really helps on getting those bug splatters off.
And also strips the wax off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page