Steering Wheel Vibration - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Steering Wheel Vibration

Hi guys. After switching to aftermarket wheels with new tires, I have noticed vibration in the steering wheel when driving on the freeway (there is no way that this steering wheel shaking is normal). I had the tires balanced with a hunter road force machine, but I still feel the vibration. What do you think is wrong? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014
Rookie

Is it actually a full-out wobble, or just a really hard and fast shake?

A wobble that throws your wheel left and right is a fairly big issue... Normally to do with the tightening of the lug-nuts.

A rapid shake could be something as small as needing a balance on one or more wheels (weights can sometimes fall off, due to many factors... Dropping the tire too hard, catching curbs, etc).

does your car have hub-centric rings and if so, did you make sure all the hub-centric rings were on the wheels before installing them on the car? If you're missing a hub ring, it's possible the wheel isn't perfectly centered.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Look at the base of the wheels studs at every corner. There is a speed-clip that holds the brake rotors in place on the assembly line. Factory wheels have a relief in the backside to accomodate the speed-clip, many aftermarket wheels do not. Simply remove and re-install your wheels, enjoy!

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014
Apprentice

If the problem just started after the new tires/wheels I would first look for a missing weight. You should be able to tell where a weight used to be. If not, rotate the front tires to the back and see if the problem follows. If it does, you will now feel a vibration in the body of the vehicle which would point to a bad tire and/or wheel. If rotating the tires makes no difference, then you have something going on with the front end. I have seen tire shops install new tires with impact guns with no regard to torque values. If the wheel is over torqued and/or not torqued evenly, it will distort the brake rotor thus causing the vibration you're describing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014
Apprentice

Kn7671 says speed clip. It is very common issue. Check this first.

2011 Mustang 5.0 - Premium, 6MT, 3.73
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

I definitely removed the clips.

My vibration is best described as the steering wheel vibrating by turning back and forth from left to right, but very very quickly, and very slightly, but visually noticeable, and obviously you can feel it while driving.

Thanks for the input guys!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I suggest jacking up the front of the car just enough to lift the tire off the ground, then spin the wheel/tire by hand, and while spinning, get down eye level with the top of the tire and look for an out of round condition. Most tires will be a little out of round, but if you see something odd, like a sudden dip or flat spot, you'll know it. when done with that, turn the the steering wheel so the tire surface is pointing out, then hand spin again and watch the tread to make sure it is rolling straight. Sometimes I've seen tires that didn't not seat correctly on the wheels in one spot, or that were molded wrong, causing the tread to have a wobble.

Lastly, if you spot a wobble or high/low spot in the tires, there is also a possibility that you may have wheels that are out of round, which will need to have the tire dismounted and checked and measured.

Which brand and model of wheels and tires did you get? Some tires may appear to be a great value, but the issue you're left with could be cheaply made tires. I can tell you that Michelin tires are probably some of the truest running tires you can buy, and if the issue turns out to be the tires, replace them with Michelin.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page